-
AuthorContent
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6977823

Does anyone know what kind of peppers are canned and sold as green chillies?

I see a lot of recipes calling for a small can of green chillies which can be pricey. I imagine there are many hybrids and OPs that are comparable and I'd like to take some names for next year. Thanks.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

August 23, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6977982

I think most are Anahiem or anahiem hybrids.
They sell a Hybrid called chile rellano that the guy at the nursery said was the same as in the can,an anahem type hybrid I think.
I don't know if it's stable.
My plant has pods on it now.
I don't know how long they will take to turn red so I can get ripe seeds.
If you want to try some seeds E-Mail me in 3 weeks or so and I'll let you know if I have any to share.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6978188

Thanks Smokemaster. I'd love to try them and will dmail later.
Billmc
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7294317

If you like a little more heat than the canned chiles give you, try growing Big Jim chiles. These are one of the Numex varieties, and I have great results growing them in 8a. Your zone should be even better. I start from seed under florescent lights in sterile medium and transplant after the last frost and after hardening off the plants. I believe you can order the seeds from Johnnie's Selected Seeds, among others.
Allwild
North, TX

December 30, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #7410615

I've been reading up on some of the peppers I have seeds of (but haven't grown yet) and the Anaheim chile, aka California chile, or Magdalena is a mild green chile. There are several variations as to the origin but it seems the seeds were derived from a farmer named Emilio Ortega who brought the seeds to the Anaheim area in the early 1900's. Could it be where the Ortega green chile came from? I don't know... but I use alot of green chiles in recipes & for chile relleno's and such too! I hope they are comparable.

I can spare some seeds of each Anaheim chile and California chile. Let me know if you would like some. I also have seeds of the NuMex Big Jim if you would like some to try.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
6:36 AM

Post #7412435

Thank you for all your offers but I'm well supplied with seeds for the foreseeable future. A special thanks to you that participated in the big pepper/tomato swap. I've got Anaheim and California. I guess the best comparison is to grow both. I'm having quite a difficult time trying to narrow down the list. It's further complicated by the fact that I'm the designated pepper supplier for the neighbors and my son. I've got them all spoiled and they'll be expecting their favorites.

I gave a few people bags of dried peppers for Christmas gifts this year and they seemed to go over well.
Allwild
North, TX

December 31, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7412998

I'm planning on growing both too. I love roasting them and jarring with water, a tad of vinegar and some salt.

When do you plan to plant seeds? I've successfully grown hot peppers in Houston but not here in zone 7b. I think I will plant many in pots where I can keep them in full sun and control watering.

The pepper/tomato swap was great and I am so excited about trying so many new varieties. I'm sure I'll have to narrow the list down too.

What is your drying method? Did you grind any into powder form?

So many questions...
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #7413668

I have a dehydrator and use it for onions, peppers and tomatoes mainly. I leave the small or skinny peppers whole and just stab them a few times which helps them dry faster. The larger ones get split or cut into strips. Next year I'll be doing some diced ones since that works well for a lot of recipes. Once they're dried, they're too tough to cut until they reconstitute. It's a big convenience to have them ready to throw in the pot.

I haven't ground up any yet but I will take all that outside on a nice day when there's a light breeze to carry off the fumes.

I tried jarring some and ruined them with too much vinegar. I didn't really want pickled peppers but just enough acid to allow the boiling water bath method. Care to share you recipe?

I started some seeds in early January last year and more on through early February. The aphids are unmerciful real early in the season. I also noticed that peppers will live but just sit and sulk until it warms up to their liking. Once the temps got right, they all went into high gear and the younger plants caught up with the older ones. So this year, I'll wait until February to start peppers and set out after March 20. I'm also cheating with 6 different varieties saved in the greenhouse. I think with those big root systems that they'll take right off.
Allwild
North, TX

December 31, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7413804

My oven has a dehydration setting and I think I will read on how to use it for 2010. I have a positive outlook for success...HA Sundried would be a wonderful option but, like you say, the bugs probably won't allow such!!

I must admit I don't have an exact recipe for the Anaheims but with 16 oz of water I will add approx 1Tablespoon salt and 1 Tablespoon vinegar. Since i usually buy them and roast them, it's just small batches (at $4 per pound!) as they don't last that long in the frig, so haven't tried the bath method for long storage.

Hopefully I can try something like this with my bounty of peppers that I will grow :-)

I store my whole dried peppers in the freezer and just pop them in whole into chillies and stews, they seem to break up well enough during cooking.

Maybe a coffee bean grinder would work well to grind them.
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #7414137

The aphids disappear as soon as it warms up good but it's just a continuous battle real early. Soapy water fixes them better than the serious stuff but you have to put it on every day.

I've got plenty in my freezer too. You can find something else to do with your $4 because pounds add up quick with just a few plants.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America