-
AuthorContent
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6979089

Hello all! Welcome to the Lasagna Bed Brigade!

A few of us on the Seed Trading Forum have gotten together and are attempting to build Lasagna Garden beds this fall. They can be used to grow anything from Annuals to Bulbs to veggies.. is all up to you, but its a simple till free, less weeding way to start a garden bed.

newbies feel free to garden along with us and we'll do our best to answer any questions you may have!

here is a simple list of things you will need to get started on your Lasagna bed. You can go as fast or slow as you wish. You can accomplish this all in one day and plant immediately, or you can build it over time and plant in Spring.. it's entirely up to you!

be sure to check out the links I have provided as all are good resources of information on Lasagna gardening!

List of items:

Cardboard or several layers of Sheet newspaper
Layers of 'Greens" (see list below)
Layers of 'Browns' (see list below)

GREENS

Grass clippings
Tea bags
Vegetable and fruit Scraps (No Onion)
Coffee grounds and Paper Filters
Old bedding annuals
manure from herbivores (no meat eaters poo in the lasagna bed)
Pond Algae
Pine needles (sprinkle lime on this layer)
Seaweed
Peat moss
Fresh leaves and fresh hedge trimmings

BROWNS

Finely crushed eggshells
Cereal Boxes - shredded
Composted manure
Corrugated cardboard packaging - shredded
Toilet tissue and paper towel roll tubes - shredded
Dried leaves and hedge clippings
Straw and hay
Ashes from wood, paper, lumpwood charcoal
Cotton threads
Cotton string
Dryer lint (from natural fibers only like cotton or wool)
Shredded Newsprint ( no shiny inserts)

What NOT To Put In Your Lasagna Bed

Meat or meat by-products ( cheese, eggs, etc)
Grease
Salty Cooked Food
Pet Waste
Citrus or citrus peels
Onion (this seems to be a matter of preference, use your own judgment)
Any grass or hedge clippings that have recently been treated with insecticides or fungicides (if using bed to grow veggies)

Once you have gathered some or all of your materials you can begin building your beds.

here is what to do:

Decide the location and area of your lasagna bed. Lay your cardboard or several layers of newspaper down in the shape and size you want your bed to be, yup, right on top of the grass!. be sure to overlap edges. This is your initial weed barrier.

Now, wet your cardboard or newspaper with water to hold it in place. if its breezy, place rocks at edges to keep it from blowing away.

Now start layering your 'greens' and 'browns' in thick 1-3 inch layers. Alternate your greens and browns until your bed is 12 - 18 inches high. Top off your bed with a nice 3 - 4 inch layer of Topsoil mixed with composted manure. be sure to wet your bed in between each layer. Dont saturate it, but it should be moist like a wet sponge.

You may choose to edge your garden bed, but i left mine as is and it is holding up nicely.

You can plant right away. as the materials break down, they feed your plants, this makes closer plantings possible as your plants wont be competing for nutrients. This close planting makes for less weeding as well.

if you chose to wait until spring, then keep your beds covered and moist. this aides in the breakdown of the materials and by Spring, you will have a nice rich planting bed to start with!

here are a few links to help you get started!

Websites:

How To Build A Lasagna Garden - About.com
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/startinganorganicgarden/a/lasagnagarden.htm

Lasagna Gardening 101
http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm

An Introduction To Lasagna Gardening - thriftyfun.com
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf582744.tip.html

Videos:

Lasagna Gardening; Part 1 - Youtube.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpfB6lkbSwc

Sheet Mulch Garden (lasagna gardening) - Youtube.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYmazZ2L_Q

Happy Gardening!

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009 8:31 AM

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 4:25 PM
seray53

August 23, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6979183

Great job Cue! Now we have a place to post our pic! Thanks a bunch.
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6979216

Cue you did a great Job! This took all the ends and tied them together in one simple step by step, plain, straight forward post. Thank you! You've made it easy and a whole lot more fun now. Thanks again.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6979363

Im starting to collect all the things needed to make me one...Sounds easy enough for even me... I have a couple of huge peices of cardboard not I have to gather enough stuff to cover them up...Thanks for the info and the links Cue...
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6979477

Thank you!!!!! I have the perfect spot : )
I have a ? why no onions??
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6979572

You guys are welcome. I figured it might be easier on the newbies to find info and ask questions if everything was all in one place:)

Im not real sure why the 'no onions' but seems its pretty much unanimous that these are not good for the compost bed. Could be the acidity in the onions themselves, or could be smell/critters/fungus... but regardless, just to be on the safe side, dont put them in. This goes for citrus as well... Too much acidity... and possible risk of fungus :)
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6979602

This is great! I've just decided that lasagna beds are the way to go in my back yard so this forum is going to be a terrific help.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6979615

See She is a genius. Thank You Cue
seray53

August 23, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6979629

I've also read that if you use pine needles it would be good to use a bit of lime. They are acidic and the worms don't like them very well. Worms do like onions and I use them in my worm bin as well as my compost tumbler all the time. Can't imagine why they couldn't be used. Some chemical compound they have? Do we have any chemists? More research I'd say. Hummmmm

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6979635

good point about the lime Seray, I'll go back and edit to put next to pine needles :)
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6979653

ok.. I researched a little about adding onions to compost.. and while many sites will tell you NOT to add these, they dont give any explanation as to why. so... i will say it's up to the individual gardener whether they want to add this in or not. But i will keep it on the list of 'Do Not Add' just in case.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6979707

My understanding of the onion and citrus thing has to do more with vermicomposting (worm bins) than a traditional compost pile. There is some type of oil in them that can harm the worms. In an outside pile the worms can get away, but not in a worm bin. Both onions and citrus also take a long time to break down, but I chop them up and use them in my compost all the time. If you can eat it and it's a fruit or veggie, you can compost it. Also, since onions grow underground from a bulb, you may from time to time find one trying to grow in your compost - seriously. Same thing with potatoes and tomatoes - lol. But they all will break down with time.
seray53

August 23, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6979739

That's my experience too Loca. Although I encourage the black soldier fly larva in my bins. They will break down all the coarse stuff. They won't hurt the worms and they are truly the master composters. I imagine if you dig around in your lasagna beds as they cook you will see them. :) I don't put citrus or potatoes in there and unless you want a thousand tomato sprouts they stay out also. LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6979838

What an awesome job you did on putting this thread together Cue... I also had wondered about the onion thing. I am going to try an experiment to see what will happen. I have an old aluminum rusty little trough that I am using to make a lasagna container bed. I DID already put some onion in it. I will check it out in a week or so and see what I have going on.. Yesterday I finished setting up my daylily bed along the fence.. My son (poor guy) and I raked leaves and forked horse manure most of the day to get those layers on. So far I have a Vegetable lasagna bed started, the daylily bed started, a "general" lasagna bed and yesterday started a new area where I am going to plant Surprise Lily bulbs and Iris rhizomes. I have these huge pine trees across the street, so I just rakes along the road and the ditch a little and got a whole wheelbarrow of pine needles! Now I see that I need to add lime for those.. How do I do that? Lime Juice?
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

August 23, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6979860

How funny, I was outside starting a new lasagna bed and came in out of the 80% humidity to browse Dave's, and found this thread!

I have three beds already that I made with newspaper, and layers of compost and peat, based on a "recipe" I found somewhere last year. I'm only having marginal success with them, so I'm now trying the brown-green recipe. I need a new bed for the butterfly bush I grew by accident, from the seeds labeled "Foster Holly" that was donated to me. :-D

I just finished the first two layers on top of cardboard. I used the grass clippings from today's lawnmowing for green, then a mix of leftover peat and finely-crushed straw, stuff I had lying around in my shed. (Side benefit: Now I can get to the pot ghetto I need for a plant swap, and my winter-sowing jugs!)

Next weekend I'll add another layer of grass clippings and compost for brown. I'm hoping to get the lush growth I've read about from other people!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 2:50 PM
seray53

August 23, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6979884

Hi Mechelle

Lime juice is for Newbie mojitos. Go to the garden store and get a bag of garden lime. Just spread it on the needles. They'll give you the rate on the bag.

Now about those other limes... LOL
seray53

August 23, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6979896

Welcome CrabgrassC!

You're in the right place. We decided as a group from the Newbie thread to start our beds and share the photos.

I just finished my fourth layer with Starbucks coffee grounds and leaf mulch. LOL I'm doing 3-4 brown layers then a green. We'll see how it works. (fingers crossed). Cue's ahead of us and has planted hers with veggies already.

Love to see your pictures!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 2:12 PM
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6979989

I'll take pics of mine today (you'll have to forgive the not finished rock border tho, tried to use remaining flagstne, but didnt have quite enough) but once the veggies are done, this bed will be evened out, more layers added and will become my memory garden.
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6980099

I made a lasagna bed last yr. planted a c ouple things last fall the rest this spring. Have a trouble spot because of too many pine needles. I got bags of my sons leaves and when I used them, several were all pine needles. I topped mine off this spring with a load of mushroom soil. Here is a pic.

Thumbnail by oriole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6980121

That is gorgeous! Wish I had to start a new bed for something other than iris. Soil that good might be overkill for those tough old things:lol:
seray53

August 23, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6980151

Now that's inspiration! So pretty. Any tips for us newbies?
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6980273

Beautiful!!
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6980510

Thanks all. just dumb luck. I really had trouble finding green. But it still seems to be doing real well. I made the bed to move my peonies. where they are now it is getting too shady.
I couldnt get any help with the digging so no go.Was on DG and someone was giving dahilias for postage. I put them in the center of the bed and just whatever else I could find on the cheap.
I planned it for all perennials. But I just used what I could to fill it up. I did plant 4 iris last fall and they did nothing. 2 didnt even show up.
I started with wet newspapers. bagged leaves. chicken cleanings full of straw, a few grass clippings, veg scraps,some cleaning from someones barn. Than this spring I topped it off with some mushroom soil.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 6:33 PM
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6980548

oriole - if you use barn manure, be sure to let it age before planting in it. using fresh manure can actually burn and kill some plants. its a good idea to let it set out int he sun for a couple of weeks before using it in garden beds.
seray53

August 23, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6980599

It looks really great. I think finding enough green is going to be my problem as well. I'm thinking of buying some russian comfrey roots and planting them in the back of my property. They say they are prolific, huge and are the best green fertilizers you can get.

Anyone tried it?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6980859

I have comfrey Seray...Ill send you one...Dmail me
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6980905

New Auction:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030568/
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6980951

LOL Newbie Mojitos.. I could go for some of those! I had never heard of garden lime before. Ya learn somethin' new everyday here on DG! :)
seray53

August 24, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6980969

Robin you have dmail. ;)

Mechelle: We have newbie Mojitos (some go for the margaritas) when we can't figure out the latin scrambles. And then we have them when someone does. LOL
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6980974

in other words... we have them at every possible opportunity ;)
seray53

August 24, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6980984

LOL We wait in anticipation for confusion and misunderstandings and then it's Mojito time!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6981045

So I guess any day that ends in "Y" will work then, lol
seray53

August 24, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6981105

Now you've got it. LOL
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #6982300

OK.. didnt get a chance to take pics of my lasagna bed yesterday, will try and snap a few today.

The are the bed is in is actually round, but i layered in a rectangle... Im slowly building up the outter perimeter to make it round again for the memory garden once the veggies are done. I didnt have enough grass clippings so saw my neighbor mowing thier grass. i walked over and asked if it was ok for me to rake up a bit of the grass clippings to use for a mulch/ compost. They gave me an odd look but told me to knock myself out.

I was always taught that if someone is allowing you to take something of theirs, its best you do all the work. So.. I let them know I wasnt going to rake their entire yard for them, just take what I would need...lol. Turns out.. I took it all anyway...LOL, but hey, it was free... right? But I always clean up messes.

Example... my lawn mower broke... I had to ask my neighbor to borrow his. So when I had finished mowing, I took and old cloth, wiped the mower and blades clean, and then filled the tank with gas before I returned it... this ensures the item I borrowed is returned in the same, if not better condition than when i used it and next time if I ever have need to borrow it, the neighbors wont hesitate! Same with asking for yard clippings and such.. i want it, so there for, I work it...and make sure i leave the yard neat... and my neighbors will always be willing to help me out :)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6983087

Great borrowing rules Cue...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6983093

LOL ... Next time you need some grass clippings just come see me... Ill let ya rake all ya want... Huney

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6983098

I don't have any grass ;^(
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6983112

LOL... your the lucky one loca.. I wish I didnt.. i absolutely hate to mow.. BUT.. the clippings do come in handy
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6983121

Hey Cue meant to tell you I read somewhere to put those things on your shoes to keep you from slipping on ice or wear those sport shoes with cleats to help you stay on steep slopes when mowing supposed to help you keep stablized

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6983136

DH works all over the city and he's always on the lookout for grass clippings in the neighborhoods or at the golf courses - lol. Unless I know there are no chemicals used the clippings won't be used for edibles. I can also get leaves and grass on freecycle :o)

I'm debating once I have my garden areas planned out that I might go for a small patch of grass in the backyard, mostly for the doggy to play so he'll leave the plants alone - lol.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6983139

ROTFL... Ice is not an issue here in Sunny Central FL! However, I mow everything thast flat.. my landscape lady (who edges and weedeats) runs the weed eater around the areas that are too steep for a mower.. thank goodness. Cuz Id be the joke of the neighborhood if I attempted it..and likely scalp my lawn in the process.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6983140

Great idea Mindy!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6983147

Loca... a patch of grass is nice and handy for kids and pets... so long as ther arent acres of it ...lol. Lawn serves its purpose, I am sure.. but darn, its a pain.. and also boring..LOL
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6983156

But Cue those things for the ice aren't that high so it doesn't matter if you get ice there or not LOL The idea is to put them on so they sink into the ground and keep your feet steady. Plus you aerate the lawn while you are walking on it.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6983191

ahhh! I understand now...duh!...LOL

but but.. aeration.. isnt that what MOLES are for ??? ROFL just kiding

northerners fight those pesky little moles.. we welcome them.. they eat the grubs in our lawns and then move on...LOL
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6983215

I was just letting you know what else those things would do for you LOL OK ya'll I'm off of here to sand some more. Going to think on making a teranium while I sand (might not be a good idea to do that I told DH if I tore his sander up I would buy him a new one)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6983273

Hi everyone,
I am working on a sticky for the newbies directions to get your seeds. Any suggestions where it should go now? It follows a forum regardless of how many post there are. The directions get lost in the shuffle now that we dont chat on it...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6983399

Why don't you see if the management would send directions when a new one joins at the same time they send the d-mail to confirm they paid? it could all be done in the same step. Let them copy and paste it on each new d-mail.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6983407

Oh the link to the directions...Meeekos, Jan...I think you have something there...My goodness you are the bomb...If I could think of another word that would describe how incredibly great that idea was I would use it...but
we all know how Robin looses not only time but her vocabulary on any given day...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6983445

Good idea, but Dave et al may not want the extra work. Put your sticky in the Seed Trading Forum - it will stay at the top.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6984066

Wouldn't be any extra work if they copy and past the directions to arejay at the same time they confirm membership. They send one anyway when you pay the fees. I got one when I joined but didn't find out about the free seeds to newbie until someone d-mailed me. By then, I had seeds already started so just told arejay not to worry about sending me any because she was getting ready to go to Florida on a trip. BUT the point was if the d-mail hed come at the same time as the membership confirmation it would save time and get 2 jobs done at the same time. They could add this to the d-mail they ALREADY will send to the new person.
1Birdie
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6985502

Hi just wanted to tell everyone I started a lasagna veggie garden this past late Feb. in MI. I have had absolutely fabulous results!! More tomatos, peppers, peas, beans, carrotts, pumpkins, watermelons, squash, (and my favorite morning glorys), than ever before.
Heres how I did mine by layer
cardboard and newspaper VERY thick
peat
old spoiled hay and horse manure (OLD)
peat
green compost
dryed leaves and leaf mulch.
newspaper
OLD (not hot)chicken manure
Veggie compost (kitchen scraps), followed by ash from the fireplaces. And topped off with peat like dirt from the woods.
I wet the layers, and finished around the 1st of april. Planted my peas IMEDIATELY.
and then progressed after the last frost. Everything decomposed while growing the vegetables. The soil is gorgeous and filled with earthworms.
Goodluck everyone!!
Birdie

seray53

August 25, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #6985543

Thanks a bunch Birdie!!! Always nice to hear from someone who has some history with the process.

It sounds like you had no trouble with the kitchen scraps. Ash would probably discourage scavengers like cats etc. Always have plenty of veggie stuff but was still debating whether to use them or not as a green layer. I compost them but needed more green in the lasagna bed than I could find. I do have ash. :)

Can always use encouragement and pictures. Pictures are good. LOL Have you started more since your first one?

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6986438

Uh huh, if you have cats, they will definitely get right in the middle of your lasagna bed, lol. I laid down a piece of cardboard and as soon as I put the leaves on, the cats came and laid on it, lol. The horses were even interested too. I guess cause I was using the wheelbarrow I feed them with.. Gotta love it.. But the ash is a good idea. We have burn barrels, so I'm gonna add that to my beds today..
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6986478

This is a wonderful, interesting, insightful thread, that I will lurking on, and learning!
Thanks cue_chik!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6986481

If your soil is alkaline like we have in Phoenix, do not use ash or lime as that will increase the alkalinity of the soil. Soil sulfur would be an amendment of choice for alkaline soil.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2009 8:11 AM
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6986495

arejay if your here come over to the caht thread , don't want ti tie this one up with chit chat about some thing different.
seray53

August 25, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6986503

Thanks for the heads up Loca. So used to dealing with acid soil forgot there was anything else. LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6986551

That's the first thing people told me when I moved here - forget about what you did and what worked everywhere else cuz you're in the desert now baby!!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6986591

Good Poitn, Loca! We wouldnt use it here in Central FL, as out soil is very alkaline.. but some in the Northern states may very well need to increase the alkaline

we add pine needles here... no lime added.. and we DONT add wood ash!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6986700

OK, I'm working on getting mine down, have compost bin for months and it got full, so now I'm layering mine. Need a little help here on how to put where again since you guys fill the threads and MOVE the them. I put down first a layer of cardboadr and newspapers. Then put in the huge pile of compost from my bin and spread it out, the added grass and weeds to that and then added a big bucket of food scraps-veggies and tea bags and egg shells-lots. I'm in zone 7 red hard clay so what do I need now?
seray53

August 25, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6986923

Go back to something brown. Shredded paper, leaves, etc.
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6987058

Just a thought - Cue ;o) maybe? - have you thought about taking a poll to see if anyone would like to start a whole new lasagna foruem...everyone is talking about it all over - tomatoes, peppers, orgainc, soil, heirlooms, veggie gardening...maybe time to see if there's enough interest for a whole foruem on this kind of gardening alone like straw bale or self sustained gardening...just a thought...notice I'm not running to do it...lol...not a leader here...just an idea man...lol...NAPTIME!!!!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6987101

The compost from my bin was a mixture of leaves and food scraps weeds and eggshells and shreaded paper and cardboard pieces,( all combined.) I put that on top of my fresh row of cardboard and newspapers then grass and weeds then more scraps of food and eggshells and tea bags and such. Now I need another layer of brown?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6987143

Yes, because until the scraps of food, eggshells and what not break down they are green so you need brown next
seray53

August 25, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6987156

Scraps are green unless they've composted down and you can't distinguish between the ingredients. What are yours like?
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6987210

jamie- they'd just tell me to move it to the composting or 'sustainable alternatives' forum...
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6987214

just a FYI.. if you use grass clippngs, they are a green layer whether they are new or old :) so even if they have been sitting out for awhile, you would still use them as the 'green layer'
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6987294

OK, so I'll go put another layer of newspaper and cardboard now. (the only thing you can still see of difference is the egg shells. They havent broken down. They are mixed all through the compost pile I had in the bin. Then I had them mixed in the scrap bucket I just poured on.) When I'm over-run with eggs and my chickens are still laying everyday, I just break them into the compost pile so there are plenty in there. I give eggs away and use some and still have plenty to break up for the compost pile.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6987301

mekos... you can crush them finer to help them break down faster.. if ya wanna even be bothered doing that...LOL
seray53

August 25, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6987308

Sounds like you got it!!!! Eggs are good. LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6987325

I did crush on some when I was spreading the bin full on that layer. The newer ones I forgot to crush, but will now as I lay the new layer of papers down. Going out to do that now. Later dudes.

hollyhocklady

hollyhocklady
Shepherdsville, KY

August 26, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6988526

I just started my bed tonight. Put down the news paper & grass clippings. I need to add some brown I think I will add saw dust from my chinchilla cages.
How long do I wait to add another layer or can I do that now?
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6988656

It's my understanding -from what I've been reading...haven't done it yet- that you can layer away honey. That's part of the beauty of it, it seems. You layer, layer, layer and plant it's that simple. Hope this helps since everyone else is quiet tonight...

Hugs, Jamie
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6988677

If it helps... I started my bed, layered it AND planted it all in one weekend :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6988679

Somewhere on one of these threads cue put up a link on directions, but I can never find my way around anywhere once they start a new one. I made a few layers today too. I put down cardboard and newspapers, then put down my compost bin full of mixture been there for a while, then added grass clippings and weeds, then put another bucket of scraps in, and another layer of cardboard and papers. Then stopped and will have to resume later this week as more stuff is ready. Hope this helps. I think you should go ahead and layer as much as you have available ,then start again when you can.
seray53

August 26, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6988700

I've been layering seems like for months LOL Can't find enough time. I have 4 layers. Have to get the tractor out for the next one. Composted soil. I always go for the BIG beds etc. LOL Maybe I need new glasses everything just looks foreshortened. :)

Cue I've got the basics. Working on the details. Should have them tomorrow. Your box UPS should be there tomorrow. LOL
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6988706

Yippie!!!
seray53

August 26, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6988707

Hollyhock What's up with 'Miranda'
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6988762

it is at the top of this thread Jan
1Birdie
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6988885

Robin you and I seem to always show up on the same threads!!! I have the :before" picture, I'll try to get the "after" tomorrow if its NOT pouring out. we're having a heck of a storm starting now.
Birdie

hollyhocklady

hollyhocklady
Shepherdsville, KY

August 26, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6989018

seray53
I'm trying to talk DH to take me up there to get it. I'm wanting to go Friday.
You know what he said to me when I told him I wanted to go?
Well that is the last place you need to go... I don't know why he would say that. LOL
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6989041

In addition to starting my lasagna bed this weekend, I'm going to clean my fish tank. Can I use the fish poo water to moisten the layers of the bed or would that just be considered a brown layer?
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6989072

You can use fish poo in your lasagna bed, Lolly. I am thinking it would be a brown layer, but could also be green I guess if there is algae in it. Either way, it works.. At the top of this thread, Cue posted a list of Do's and Don'ts as well as helpful links for more info on lasaga beds.
seray53

August 26, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #6989181

Make him stay in the car when you go Friday Holly. Just take his checkbook. LOL

hollyhocklady

hollyhocklady
Shepherdsville, KY

August 26, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #6989224

Yep I will have to. I can never seem to buy just 1 thing. LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2009
10:48 AM

Post #6989464

Hi Birdie.. It is good to see you. How are you? Almost September Birdie..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6990425

OK, what is happening in september? What did I miss out on?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6990537

Probably when it will be cool enough for plants to ship maybe?
Hi Mekos the Moses baby I kept is growing new leaves now
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6990708

WOW, so glad it did well. I rooted 2 for a shipment that went out monday, they had roots after a week in water, growing great and blooming too. Got another going out today for another lady. The verigated purple is going fast. They root really easy so keep a few ready for those special trades.LOL
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6992335

New Auction

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1031566/
1Birdie
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6992425

yup, Robin is sending me a peony in Sept. I always have a swap going on with my "Garden Planners" :-)
longtimescout
New Windsor, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6992487

I started lasagna gardening about 2 years ago - i now have 5 beds in the garden area on my 9 acres that we have been using for about 30 years. the soil was totally depleted, clay and cracking. the veggies i have grown in the 'zagne" gardens have been phenominal. i did one planting of bush beans in the first one - i didnt have to replant any and they produced all year long. this time around, i built 4 more and rotated crops. wow the production has been phenominal

couple of things tho for newbies doing zagne gardens*******
*****you can also add dryer lint to your layers as long as the clothes werent saturated in oil (us motor heads sometimes get it on our clothes - exclude dryer sheets tho***** (the lint helps retain moisture & is biodegradable - think about it most of it is cotton or hair
***** You can also add hair, both human and dog n cat - it provides keratin and protein to the plants - they love it****
also in between garden beds (make them only about 4 ft wide and 6 ft long - it is easier to maintain) place wet layers of newspaper and mulch to keep down the "weeds - misplaced plants"

just a couple of friendly tips for you.
longtimescout
seray53

August 27, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6992522

Thanks for the tips! Too late for me for the length. LOL I'll put a stepping stone to break it up. It's not very wide so I'll probably be ok. I do have dryer lint. :)
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6992598

at the top of the thread, i posted 'Dryer Lint'as one of the ingredients you can add, just be sure its a natural fiber you are adding, such as wool or cotton. and as Longtimescout has pointed out, make sure there are no oils or chemicals. And do not add dryer sheets to your bed.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6992660

I use my puppy's hair and brush hair in my compost. Thanks for the reminder longtimescout and for sharing your experience.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6992693

I read about the dryer lint but didn't know about the hair thing. I'll have to add that as I get some. What layer does the hair go in?
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #6992909

Hey Gals, I don't know if any of you all know this or not but if you want to put a little money in for your beds you can go to a feed store and buy alfalfa pellets that you would use for horse feed and use it too . They say that is really a great thing to use in gardens so I wouldn't know why you couldn't use it to help with your green layer.
seray53

August 27, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6993069

Thanks Flower Didn't know there was such a thing. I'll check it out.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #6993492

I didn't know about the alfalfa either but I read it somewhere here on a thread and I didn't know what they were talking about and so I was searching and all I could come up with was a wormer for horses so I went back on there and ask about it and they told me then. I have seen it in the feed part of the farm stores around here but then it wasn't but just a couple that had it. It maybe something that not a lot of people use for their horses but it is out there fi you can find it.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6993644

Mornin' e1, Alfalfa pellets are just concentrated and compacted well, alfalfa. They also sell Alfalfa chunks that are like the size of ice cube from an ice cube tray. When you add water to it, it swells. A lot of people use the pellets and chunks to feed their horses instead of regular hay or as a supplement to it. It makes sense to me that it would work good as a green layer. I'll share how I have done my beds so far. First, I laid down cardboard to smother the grass. Then I laid down a layer of brown leaves and soaked it with water. Then a light layer of horse manure just to get it going, and watered again. Then a thick layer of grass clippings topped with a thick layer of horse manure. (old and composted of course) Then a layer of green leaves topped with pine needles, watering each layer as you go to aid in decomposition. In between I have thrown in old lettuce, straw, shredded paper, newspaper on top of any grass sprouts that have come through, leaves from plants I have cut back, weeds, (with no seeds). I am going to go around the outer edges and spray Round Up to try and keep the grass from popping through so I will have less weeding, being careful not to spray anywhere in the bed I intend to plant. I plan to keep going at least 2 more layers of green & brown and then wait about a week and see how deep it is. My goal is to have between 6-12 inches of healthy, nutritious soil to plant in.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6993667

Here is the first bed along the south side of the house. Going to flowers that are low to the ground. My DH keeps saying he doesn't want anything touching the side of the house.. Plus in the next couple years we are going to continue the porch around the side of the house. I plan to cut those weeds I guess they are and finish that section, There was a tiny Canna there and I didn't have the heart to take it out. lol.. and I also saw on a thread here that ashes are good to put in the beds to keep the cats out..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6993676

Ok, this was just for fun.. they love it when you start tossing leaves about.. It was too darn cute, I couldn't resist!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6993690

This one is going to be my veggie garden next spring. My son and I used some plywood my DH had in the shop and made boxes. I mainly did it because of the wire fence behind the bed. It's 24" wide and goes around the yard probably 80 feet. Hope I don't regret making it that big! Those cedar logs are probably going to be replaced by plywood in the near future.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6993708

This one is my baby.. It's going to have nothing but daylilies of every different cultivar I can get my hands on! (any traders??? Please dmail me!) I thought it would be good as they are low maintenance and won't hang out in the street.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6993717

Just a little rusted out container lasagna bed.. I'm thinking I will do a little cactus, other succulents, coleus, some color in here.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6993729

These beds go all the way around this little pergola I guess you'd call it. I am thinking of putting either cannas, little pine trees, or a bamboo tree on the two front corners and then have nothing but Bearded Iris all the way around. I have hundreds of rhizomes that need to be transplanted. I think that will be pretty. My hammock I plan to put over where the veggie garden is, in the shade, near the horses and the little pond we are doing ;-) How's that for "My Space"? lol

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6993742

This one, I don't know what I am going to plant here.. There is a big tree stump that needs to come out and the lawn tractor doesn't fit in between. Honestly I was just happy to be killing off the weeds, lol.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6993749

Another spot that needed the grass & weed smothered.. lol.. gonna zap those little weeds that keep growing into the lattics with Round Up >:-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6993751

mechelle, it sounds amazing!
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6993757

lol posted that before you were murdering weeds with round up and dragging out stumps...it was about your Ideas for you gardens...lol...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6993760

My son & I started this one yesterday. I stopped at a yard sale with my daughter last weekend and the yard had a HUGE flower bed like this that had variegated Monkey grass with little purple flowers all the way around the circle. It inspired me and here we are! Don't know what I'll plant there yet, but will border it with pretty bricks or something.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6993774

And last but not least, LOL, more daylilies will go here. It's the other side of my driveway across from the daylily beds. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated from all of my new expert DG friends ! All of these have taken me less than 2 weeks to complete.. a justified sacrifice of time I think with the end result in mind :-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6993830

I have two comments in the middle of all this...lol...I kept thinking you were done! You've done so much...all I can do is say WoW! I leave the rest to the experts...Your ideas sound wounderful, well thought out and very doible...allot of work but, will be impressive and worth it when you're done...WoW
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6993859

Thanks Jamie, I hope that's the reaction I get by next spring/summer when everything starts to bloom. Can't you just picture it?
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6993871

Honey,

It will be amazing! I'm really good at picturing things in my mind and I just think it's going to be great...You're very tallented at "seeing" the picture. I can tell. Come spring you're going to be posting pic after pic!
seray53

August 27, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6993881

MECHELLE!!!!!!! So pretty and so industrious and so many. LOL I see I have a fellow 'can't stop with just one' friend. LOL The woman who came up with the concept and wrote the book did 30 around her home. You'll have her beat.

Your place will be gorgeous with all those beds. You'll have lots of time this winter to sprout all kinds of beauties for them.

Now we have to fill you up. I usually divide my daylilies in the spring and will have some then. They'll spread fast and fill up your beds in no time. I'll save you fans when I do. I had a large decorative container of Jungle Queen and when I broke it up there were 28 fans after 3 years. How late in the season can you plant lilies where you live?
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6993938

Hehe thanks Seray.. I am definitely one of those can't stop with just one kinda people! I have so much room here and loads of potential to work with. So you're probably right, lol I will have more than 30 in the end I bet.. Look at my pond, when these are done, I'm starting there, lol .. I could just see Rose of Sharon out there, can't you? lol

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6993954

Oh, Seray- I think I am okay to plant through fall/mid fall. It doesn't really get too hot here and takes a while for winter to arrive.. I have only lived in TN for a year in Oct, came from CA. So still adjusting to our seasons here. Yes, please do send me any extra daylilies you want. I want to have no two colors the same along the road. I think that will be awesome! I will happily reciprocate!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6993963

Thank you Jame, ur a sweetheart
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6993965

Very nice Mechelle. Have a tip for you on those stumps that need removing. Don't dig them out, instead cut as close to the ground as you can get then cover the whole stump with your layers and it will rot over the years. My mom did one like that only she just dumped bagged manure from WM and I think it was potting soil mixed together and it rotted within a year or two then she planted a rose of sharon there that thrived in all that good dirt.
I just finished the clearing up of weeds under the logs around my bed was getting ready to start layering but got rained out so that will be a between rain showers job since we are due to get rain for the next few days. Saves me watering everything this way.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6994064

That's a good idea Mindy, thanks it's huge! We were quoted like $200 to have it grinded... and there's a bunch of other stumps like this out here, too.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6994184

THanks Mindy,

I have a couple that are cut off low from those knock over by the winds last year. Never thought to just compost them where they stood but, makes perfect sense when you think about it. Wait till I call my DH and tell him I need more poop!
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6994211

Did you all know that you can throw goat and rabbit poo straight into the bed? No waiting or composting needed. It doesn't have the eliment that burns. Was news to me. Just thought I'd pass it on. Cultrually goat is eaten quite a bit here so...allot more goats than most places but, thought in case that might be the case for someone else or if you raise goats or rabbits it might be nice to know...learn something new everyday.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6994264

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got goat poo all around, BUNCHES of it. Woo hoo! Lasagna beds here I come!
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6994399

That's good to know about the stumps. We've got dozens of them from the overgrown bushes we took out last weekend. My DH will be thrilled!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6994428

Forgot about the rabbit poo. Yup - can use it straight from the rabbit's, well, you know . . . My friend and I get it on freecycle all the time - lol.

WANTED: RABBIT POO

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6994486

Here's a good link I forgot to mention earlier - 163 things you can compost. Maybe cue can add it to the top post as well?

http://www.plantea.com/compost-materials.htm

It has some things in there I wouldn't use due to critters being attracted (like fish bones), but has some things you wouldn't normally think of. Click on the manure links - good info on manure comparisons . . .

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 9:38 AM
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6994556

Kelly,

Honey link doesn't work...
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6994572

Never mind...blathering idiot here! It was up in a different window...lordy...can anyone say naptime!!!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6994651

Locakelly, thanks for the link! It does mention rhubarb stalks, but doesn't say leaves. Makes me think that they probably are not a good idea. As for the urine, I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking my neighbor's would have me locked up in a pretty white coat. LOL! Pretty sure they wonder about me already! That should just about cinch it for them!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009

Post #6994677

Here's some infor on willow tea making

http://www.ehow.com/how_4905464_willow-tea-natural-rooting-hormone.html

It's my understanding any kind of willow, weeping willow, pussy willow, whatever. All willows are supposed to have excellent rooting ability which is what makes them good for rooting other stuff.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6994695

The only stumps I'm not sure you can do this way is cedar ones. Probably can if still green but once cedar dries out I swear it becomes immune to rotting. I just dug up several pieces in my flowers beds this summer that have been there for years.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6994911

Question for folks who have done their beds already--is it ugly to start with? Just wondering as I'm a renter and don't want to get called out by the landlord for starting what may appear to them as a pile of "garbage":lol:

Finally my rabbit is gonna contribute other than being darn cute:lol:

My dad always drilled holes into the stumps or chisled out gouges in the top to allow water to get down into the stump and help it to break down. I think a tree guy told him to embed copper in the wood too but I don't know if that actually does anything.
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

August 27, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6995080

Yep, they can be kinda ugly! You could always finish with a thin layer of potting soil to keep it looking like an actual flower bed and keep the landlord happy.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6995198

Try telling the landlord what you want to do and how it's done and see what they say.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6995232

someone asked if manure was a green or a brown..

it is in fact a 'GREEN'.. so add it accordingly.

ideally, your bed should be made of equal parts brown and green - this translates into a 30/1 nutrient ratio which is ideal for soil :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6995410

Thanks everyone. Lots of info here.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6995762

Wow, cue, you just made my day! I figured that manure was a brown instead, and I keep trying to figure where to get green to equal the brown. Now if manure is green, all I have to do is come up with brown but I have access to lots of old straw and dried leaves and such, which I am assuming would be considered brown layers, correct? Shoot, I can put 6 inches of straw down if it's a brown. Has anyone had any experience with fresh water pond and creek type sea weed? The kinda slimy green stuff that grows from the bottom up? How will it work? Cue, you are going to get sick of all of our questions! LOL!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6995790

Pretty much any kind of plant that was once alive can be composted - it is organic matter. You just have to watch out for things that have fungus or disease or things that are considered allelopathic. They contain biochemicals that inhibit germination and growth, things like black walnut and oleander and eucalyptus come to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6996130

oooh ooooh ooooh, my neighbor was out mowing his field tonight.. grass clippings tomorrow.. he he he
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6996276

Hopefully Saturday I can go get another load of manure and a load of straw and a load of compost. Probably will need about 3 loads of compost, but I'm happy starting with one. LOL! I'm going to try to mow in the morning, but would not be surprised if those plans change.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6996478

Skellogg, you sound like me. My plans change all the time.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6999694

Yep, plans changed! Didn't get any mowing done, and probably won't haul manure for a few days. My DD called me at 3 a.m. and was headed to the hospital to deliver! WOOHOO! Just got back from there and we have a new grandson! They have twin boys that are 16 months old, and I'm guessing this Gram will be busy babysitting babies and my DD for a few days as I think that they will be going home tomorrow! So much better than mowing the lawn! LOL! So, if I don't post for a few days you'll know where I am.
seray53

August 29, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6999703

Hi skellogg

Cue and I have captured people for the Brug sprout contest. Check it out. We're trying to have some fun and you might be able to participate as we go through the next few weeks. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030128/

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2009

Post #6999704

Congratulations Gram!
seray53

August 29, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6999712

Oh Gosh

I saw your name and just started typing SK. Congratulations are most definitely in order. Come back with pictures!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6999724

Congratulations Gramma
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6999813

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! WONDERFUL. Show us pictures. Hope mommy and baby are doing great . Really happy for you. Talk to ya later.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6999814

Thanks e1! We didn't find him in a lasagna garden, but he's pretty special and we'll keep him anyway! It's amazing to me how sharp I can be at 3:30 in the morning, with an hour and half drive ahead of me, but I remembered the camera! Here he is! And sorry to post off topic, but you know!

Thumbnail by skellogg

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6999817

How cute!!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6999832

S'pose he's a little young to learn about gardening, but he will! Maybe by then I'll even know something about it. LOL!
seray53

August 29, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6999857

How Cute!!!!! He'll be our first Lasagna bed baby! Thanks for showing us!!!
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6999975

Congratulations skellogg. How precious.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6999984

Yea, good looking baby boy. He will have to be our mascot of the lasagna garden. So beautiful! Take care of him. Blessings to you all.
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6999993

A question about using horse manure in the lasagna beds. I know that you can't use 'fresh' poo on your flowers but do you need to let it dry out before putting a layer of it in the bed?
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #7000057

Hi LJ, I would just spread it out and let it dry in place, but not plant in it until good and dry. I probably have some in my new bed that wasn't quite dry enough, but it has dried alot over the last 2 weeks just with me spreading it out and letting it sit in the sun and heat. I'm not planning on planting mine until next spring, tho, so I will keep adding layers until the snow gets too deep.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7000127

Congraulations Grandma. Sweetie little one.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 29, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #7000183

Thanks!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7001575

Congrats skellogg, what a sweetie.. I look forward to when I have grandkids but not for a while I hope, lol
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7001673

He is adorable!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7002718

Hey you guys, if anyone needs cardboard boxes for their lasagna gardens just go to the local dollar general or what ever stores and ask for the scraped boxes. My daughter in law works at our local one and told me I could come get all I wanted. I figured other stores would also. Furniture stores or grocery stores or what ever you have close to you. I'm going Monday to get some more.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #7002735

go to your local WALGREENS, when their next truck comes in... show up that morning and ask them to save you all of their boxes for pick up the next morning... be sure to go get them the next day or even that night...
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #7002824

I work at a Walmart and if you call most of them in the late evening after say--10pm, ask for the third shift manager and ask if they'll save you boxes more than likely they will. Make sure you ask where they'll be and don't be late if they ask you to get them in the early am...they will put them in the bailer since it's a big deal to leave trash laying about. If your store is open 24 hours you can get them at night. Most trucks are unloaded daily (and we do get trucks almost everyday at the 24 hr stores) between 4pm-1am and most freight is worked overnight.
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #7003307

I am absolutely thrilled to find this thread. Would be great if we could have a separate forum on lasagna gardening. How do we go about getting that started?

Recently started my first lasagna bed. A little different than most because it is a row of Wax Myrtle shrubs planted 16 months ago and kept saying I needed to put landscape fabric and mulch between them to kill grass and just kept procrastinating until it was going to be a huge ordeal to get the grass out and becoming very unsightly. Plus, we have the worst clay soil in the country. So when I read on DG about the lasagna method, it really got my attention. Only concern I have is the root structure of the Wax Myrtles, don't want to suffocate them. They were planted in 24-inch plastic edging squares and had been adding shredded oak leaves around them every few months.

Started by removing the plastic edging and putting down newspaper and cardboard covering everything except the 24-inch square around each shrub. Then cleaned out our huge compost storage that already had mixed llama poop, shreaded leaves, grass trimmings and kitchen scraps and spread it as the first layer. Going to go slow on depth to give the shrubs a better chance. In just one week, the shrubs have seemed to put on a spurt of new growth - unusual in 100-degree August weather in Texas, so I think the shrubs are happy with lasagna!!

This is how it looked before we began.

Thumbnail by Dogs_N_Petunias

Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #7003331

First day's progress.

If anyone has experience with Wax Myrtles, and just how sensitive their root structure might (???) be to having soil added, I'd appreciate hearing about it. These are the first I've ever had and don't know anything about them. Right up next to the shrubs I'm not adding anything except shredded leaves and so far have put 3 to 4 inches of the compost mixture on the remainder, knowing it may not be heavy enough to get an install "kill" on the grass underneath.

This is to be my first butterfly garden when completed. Will plant flowering perennials all around the shrubs.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7003347

Really nice,Petunia. Welcome aboard. Cue is a genious around here, comes up with all this cool stuff.
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7003362

End of Week 1, started Austin stone (natural limestone) edging. This is the hard part but has to be put in right away to prevent waterflow from washing the "lasagna" right down into our pasture in the first rainstorm. Once edging is complete, can start layering up more greens and browns.

Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #7003369

Quoting: Really nice,Petunia. Welcome aboard. Cue is a genious around here, comes up with all this cool stuff.

Do you think there's any hope of getting a separate forum for lasagna gardening?

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7003376

more than likely not.. lasagna gardening falls under the 'Sustainable Alternatives' forum category...
seray53

August 30, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7003416

You're welcome to come and chat and show us your stuff on a daily basis though. You have the best looking wax myrtles I've seen lately. We just keep making threads when the old one gets too long.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7003420

Well, Excuse me.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7003433

ROTFL.. what???? well, its true!!! there is a thread or two in the SA forums on lasagna gardening already... lol... it would be nice.. but since the SA forum is a blanket form, i think theyll make one just for the LAsagna gardening.. hence th reason why I made this thread :)
seray53

August 30, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7003459

This thread started out as a Newbie project. Cue started the process by asking if anyone had done one. I checked it out and sent youtube stuff. Cue did the research and compiled the list and we decided as a group to make one and share experiences. LOL

So now we have lots of people joining us. Everybody making beds. People checking in to keep us straight and share their experiences and photos. Everyone is welcome. We even have a new lasagna baby mascot! :)

This message was edited Aug 29, 2009 10:40 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #7003549

and I'm waiting until fall (read October!) to start any of mine cuz it's too dang hot to be outside . . .
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #7003909

Hi , DP, it is good to see you again. It has been a long time. Hang around show us you Lgardens. You will be surprised at all the information here.
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #7004006

I had read a couple of threads by lasagna gardeners on other forums and was just surprised to find it here on the Seed Trading forum. Surprised and thrilled because I'm a real NEWBIE on it and continuously have questions. There are very lengthy threads in garden design and soil and composting, I believe. But those people are WAY beyond my stage of experience.

I apologize if I offended anyone asking about having a separate forum. When I first searched for "lasagna" I found almost nothing and lilttle by little I've found there's a lot of it on DG at various locations but just hard to find using search and just thought it would be great if cue_chik would be willing to lead a forum on it.

DNP
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7004087

LOL, I wasnt offended at all! I just kinda know that the staff would tell me to use the SA Forum.. but if any of you want to ask them.. by all means, go right ahead!

I only started the thread here, as Seray mentioned, as a newbie project. Now we are all doing one in some way or another and its nice to see such participation!

it never hurts to try something once, experiment with different methods of gardening and I guess this is what I had in mind when i started the thread - to give everyone an opportunity to try something new and to educate some newbies.

You'll have to get used to me and my spur of the moment ideas LOL(take Gilda for example) I just like for everyone to enjoy themselves and have fun while learning something new in the process - just like our brug Contest.. its fun and educational at the same time
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7004286

Creative you are Cue...no need to apologize for it though the spur of the moment ideas are one of the things that makes us all love you...
seray53

August 30, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #7004372

And we're afraid of LUCY of course. :) Morning all.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7004638

Yes, Cue, we do love your spur of the moment ideas.. Don't ever change ;-)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7004649

Morning Seray, Cue , Mechelle, Arejay, and Loca- I think this was aimed at me for "chatting" in the thread- Not Cue.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #7004681

mekos.. i dont think anything was aimed at you ??? chat away hehehe...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7004714

Are you getting into trouble Jan? Come with me I know where there is more...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7004725

It's all good 'round here, lol
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7004779

Got the cardboard and the first 2 layers of my bed done today. I'm never going to have enough greens and browns to do all the layers. Is it 'cheating' to go to Lowe's and buy the stuff?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7004796

I don't think it can be cheating. It is brown or green right?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #7004855

It's fun any way you do it. But it sure cuts down on all my garbage take offs. I'm learning to save paper to go out there and use the weeds that bug me-(like payback for being in my plants) You guys gave me an idea for the stumps in my field that are so close I can't mow around. And has poison ivy so I get covered if we weed eat, so I'm going after boxes to lay all around, and over, the stumps to help rot them away. Look at my white moon bush this morning. It had 6-7 big blooms on it all at once.(CUE -don't look at my weeds.) the plant is out there where we cut the stumps last year.It's going to be covered soon with lasagna stuff.

Thumbnail by mekos

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7004922

mekos! Those are beautiful.. and he weeds dont look that bad either hehe..

seriously.. it looks like you have the same type of creeping weeds i do, those darn things an root themselves in concrete.. impossible to get rid of and always a battle in my beds as well!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7005095

Actuall, I have that lowland loosestrife that grows out there and it's beautiful when it's in bloom and after it finishes we cut it like the grass and of course there is grass there but it's a mixture. I can't pull it out because of the poison ivy mixed in there with honeysuckle vines also so just cut most with weed eater and itch for weeks, but gonna start the cardboard out there and see if it helps keep the weeds down. There is an acre of this stuff and I just put a lots of brugs and cocks comb and yellow forsythia, daylilies, hygrangeas, well you name it and it's out there. Even tomatoes and peppers. Camelias ,knottweed bush,dogwood trees, a few cedars, plum bushes, mulberry tree, evening primrose-lots I can't remember the names. The dirt was better because of the tree leaves all over the ground so I went with it to cover the ugly ground between me and the neighbor. She never had a real yard until we cut all these trees. It was a joint effort. She now has grass too-hehehe, and half acre of tree stumps out her front door. We couldn't afford to grind them all up so we just started planting between them. Now, I'm going to try cardboard and see if we can get a better view with less work in weeding.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

August 30, 2009

Post #7005264

How much material do you need? I would have trouble coming up with enough brown or green but would like to try to make a few small beds for some veggies to be planted next spring. I have 3 bags of plant material I cut and pulled out and now am wondering if I can use this on the lasagna beds. It is large pieces of various plants and probably has some seeds in it as well. How fine does the material have to be?
Cheryl
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #7005299

the smaller to chop/shred the plant material, the quicker it will break down!

yard clippings are a perfect start to a lasagana bed! all ya do is just keep layering your greens and browns... no need to rush if you are not going to plant until spring.. just add it as you have it!
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #7005575

Cheryl, if you're going to be at the Arlington RU in October, I'll bring you a 2-gallon bag of crushed llama poop, if you'd like it. I'm going to cut off my "poop list" pretty soon. LOL.

The lasagna gardener with the most fantastic garden I've ever seen in a thread I've read on DG talked about cruising the neighborhood collecting bagged leaves in the fall.

I mow our grass with a catcher on the mower now. That adds lots of greens, better exercise than walking on the dreaded treadmill, plus saves money spent on lawn service so I can buy more stone.

Good place to get cardboard is air conditioning installation company. AC units come in huge cartons and the one I contacted was glad to not have to cut them up to put in their dumpster. Of course, you have to cut them up somewhat to get them in your car, so you have to be prepared with a boxcutter knife.

Know anyone in the construction business? Blueprints are great to use as first layer. They are no longer printed with that blue smelly ink but just regular copy machines. (Added benefit to me was getting my DH to finally clean out his plan room.)

DNP
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #7005594

OH my I wish I had a lasagna bed started. I just got thru mowing the big field out back and I have enough grass clippings to make the bed by itself LOL Joking. Do have loads of clippings though. Probably enough to have a couple of small bales of grass hay.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #7005607

Hey cue, would it be ok to use the leafy arms of the castor beans? Mine got so big I had to break some of them off so figured they would go into the lasagna garden, but I know it's poisonous. I'm only going to plant flowers in there, where they will be. It would be ok, right?

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #7005613

Hey Flower, I need your grass right now.LOL
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #7005626

Well I wish I had a way to get it to you . You sure could have it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #7005637

Thanks bunches, my friend!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #7005790

mekos, I am sure you should be alright as long as you arent planting edibles in the bed.

another good lasagna bed 'barrier is paper grocery bags. just fold em back up and lay them down.

also, my walgreens here carries paper yard waste bags... made from recycled materials and very vert biodegradable, they come in a 10 pack bundle for $2.97.. you could make one giant bed just out of one bundle!

Flower - you can save those grass clippings ya know! and add them when you do start your lasagna bed.. just remember, grass no matter how dry and aged is always a 'green' layer
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #7005812

Oh I am sure I will have lots more in the future. More than enough. LOL With this big field we mow there is always plenty.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #7005818

Thanks Cue. Do you need seeds from the giant red/black colored castor bean? Mine is making seed pods. I have a pink one too. I can save you the seed pods if you want some.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7005822

Here is a big leaf.
This picture was a couple weeks ago with the sun glaring down so it doesn't look as black in the picture as it does when you are out there.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by mekos

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7005946

Thanks mekos, I already have one and I hear they are prolific seeders...LOL. I think one is enough for now, but thank you!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7005954

Sure thing.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7006160

hey gals I posted a few pics on the chat thread, take a look and see what you think of our project.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #7006270

I tell you right now, I'M LOVING IT!!!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7006279

Thanks mekos.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7006293

I'm also jealous, flower.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7006369

LOL Don't be jealous LOL Just get even and build you one.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7006393

Yes, I'll do just that?!? *&%#$@&%(^$%#@ In between my running the 30 mile race and naps.
Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7006408

Where is the "chat thread"? I want to see the pictures too and can't find it. Trying to explain it to DH but he's such a visual person.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7006427

Oh mekos You just gave me the best laugh for the night. LOL
seray53

August 31, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7006438

Hi Elizabethtown

Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1032598/
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7006463

Thanks Seray, I didn't know how to do that.
Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009

Post #7006465

wow that was a cool bed -- but now I have to go read the entire thread!!! flower, your photos gave me bunches of ideas to adapt... now to convince DH.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #7006477

Just sweet talk him LOL E
seray53

August 31, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7006484

Hi Mekos

It took me awhile to cut and paste right after I got my first computer. Once you get it it's a real time saver. I have a Mac computer so I can keep 3 -4 screens on my desk top. That way I can jump back and forth. I think you can do it too. Makes it handy for links and research. And confusion as to who's talking to who ? LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7006492

Are you KIDDING? I can barely do one!
seray53

August 31, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7006507

You get used to it.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7006590

LOL Hey mekos your not by yourself. I have tried that and get so confused I finally give up.
seray53

September 2, 2009

Post #7017628

Hey guys

Here's my second one half done. Of course I haven't finished the first yet. This is for some irises a generous person sent me. LOL Emergency lasagna bed. Three more layers and I'll be ready to plant.

Hi Julesgrow this is the place.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 12:30 PM

Thumbnail by seray53

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7017735

That is beautiful Seray I just put a layer of soil on that has been saving my years worth of compost...couple more layers!!
seray53

September 2, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7017806

Alright!!! Looks like we may catch up with Cue yet! :) I'm off to Ace. It's the place you know... LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009

Post #7017951

So are you guys or has anyone finished their beds with Topsoil? I think I have some that are done & ready, just wondered if I have to put top soil. I am off to the post office.. See you back in a bit
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7018039

I started my first bed today...Here's to hoping its halfway right...

I layed down cardboard soaked it well..

Then put a thin layer of things I had collected in a bucket tea bags, lettuce leaves, coffee grounds, dryer lint.. etc...

Then I found DH's pile of grass clippings where he empties the yard sweeper... layered that over existing things from above..

Then i found a big pile of leaves he had swept up in early spring had some pine straw mixed in so I layered that one top... soaked it lightly

Then I hauled dirt out of the garden made a light layer of that..

Added a layer of newspaper..

covered that with more grass clippings then more leaves... wow that dirt was already rich under the leaves added all that as a layer... covered with 2 bags of manure...

then had one bag of miracle grow potting soil I topped it off with... I think I need 2 more bags of pottig soil and she should about be ready to plant...

Here is a pic of it... looks really thick... DH said he hoped no oe was missing in the neighborhood cause they would be down here digging to see who i buried...

Ha since it was my first one and I was unsure how to do it I just made a small oblong bed...

What should i do next? Another layer of soil for sure?

Sorry I didnt have my camera outside so took pic with my phone..I will get out there later and make another picture...

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

seray53

September 2, 2009

Post #7018065

Hi Huneybunch

Sounds like you could plant to me. I don't think you need the top soil. It looks great. You will be adding stuff to it anyway.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7018138

if you are planning to plant immediately , then yes, you need at least a two inch layer of topsoil or compost. i mixed topsoil and compost and put on 3-4 inch layer and planted seeds...
seray53

September 4, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #7023157

Finally finished my first bed!!! That was work. Here's my layers:
paper, Black Kow, green leaves etc., top soil, grass, coffee grounds, coir and worm castings mixed.

Planting tomorrow. (If I can get out of bed. LOL)

Thumbnail by seray53

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7023167

Congratulations Seray. Great job!!! That looks nice. Wish I had mine finished. Got more to go. What you gonna plant there? Have you decided?
seray53

September 4, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7023207

Thanks Mekos!

Mit was kind enough to send me some of his irises. They'll look nice there don't ya think?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 8:15 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #7023227

Oh yes. He sure had some nice ones.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7023234

seray - that looks great! You should be proud! The Irises will look stunning there . . .
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009

Post #7023240

irises will look beautiful there Seray!!! Congrats on getting the bed finished WOOT!
seray53

September 4, 2009

Post #7023289

Thanks Cue :) Are we all going to do a show and tell with this thread when we get finished?

You've got veggies. Mechelle has a lasagna farm!!!! What ya say about the end of Sept. everybody show their stuff. I've got one more to go. Huneybunch has been showing hers. Who else. Robin's working on one. Hollyhock is too I think. Lollyjean and Dogs_N_Petunias. Skellogg (she's got baby beds going. LOL) Keeper of the Lasagna Mascot. Can't remember everyone. :)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #7023369

Mine will be started as soon as it cools down so I can actually work outside in the daytime . . .
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7023519

Still building mine, too. Just keep adding layers and stuff! I'll probably keep building on mine all winter, assuming the snow doesn't bury it too deep!
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
8:08 AM

Post #7024291

I got mine started but the poison ivy itch is driving me so crazy I've not been back out to do anything more in a couple of days. :(
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2009
9:07 AM

Post #7024314

LollyJean
Home made soap will dry it up..I know I'v been there..

Tubby
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #7024493

LollyJean,
Can't help you now that you've already broken out with poison ivy, but for future reference, I'll tell you what has worked to prevent us from getting the rash. Read it in a newspaper. Just as soon as you can after you've been working outside, wash all exposed areas of skin with rubbing alcohol and then shower with lots of soap. I do the alcohol wash after the shower too. Neither my DH nor I have had any poison ivy rash since we started this procedure. If what we're doing outside takes more than a couple hours, we come in and do the alcohol and shower routine about every 2 hours or more often if we've been in an area that we know for sure has poison ivy. I keep several bottles of rubbing alcohol, the higher percentage one.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7024752

I have tons of poison ivy around here, too.. Lasagna farm, Seray, lol.. It's true.. I just make sure if I am working near poison ivy, that 1, I wear gloves. Always have my gloves on. 2, wear long pants with long socks and mid calf boots, and 3, always use a rake and never pick up piles with my hands/arms. I use a hay fork for doing that. Most of the leaves I have collected have been under trees which we all know is where it grows. I guess I have been lucky, KNOCK ON WOOD, lol. My biggest outdoor challenge here is chiggers and ticks. Hate them! I never go out near the woods without insect repellent anywhere my skin is exposed and I even spray my feet and legs, clothes, boots and all.
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7024997

Poison ivy was the last thing I expected to be growing in my backyard. I live in a residential neighborhood, not in the woods for pete's sake. But apparently, you can find it anywhere. Got it on Monday and didn't realize what it was until Wednesday. There isn't much of it back there, just one little vine it looks like. Anybody know the best way to get rid of it? It is a nice shady spot and I had planned to put a seating area there.

Thanks dogs n petunias, that's good advice and I will definitely follow it. Don't want to go through this again!
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7025059

LollyJean,
The birds bring it in. I have to be on the lookout for it in and amongst my flowers. The way I'd get rid of it would be to put on long sleeves and gloves and see if you can clip it off with long-handled loppers. Then carefully and slowly pick it up with a shovel or rake, keeping it far away from your body, and then in a trash bag if you can get it in without shaking it around so it spreads the oil that makes you break out. Don't ever burn it. Then to be doubly safe, do the alcohol wash and shower and launder your clothes and gloves right away. As you can tell, the stuff has me very paranoid. LOL. I've read it can stay on tools and gloves, etc., for a very long time.

In years past I've even gotten it from my little Min. Schnauzer running through brush and then me picking him up and evidently there was enough of the resin or oil substance on his fur that transferred to my arms, at least that seemed to be the only way I could have gotten it because I hadn't been working outside and my forearms got covered with rash. MISERABLE !!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7025146

HI Everyone. Just in from working on the lasagna bed
For the poison ivy once you've already got it, take an allergy medicine like Bendaryl or Claritin (both work for me) to stop the allergic reaction and if you have pain from it take a pain reliever at the same time. I take both when I know for sure I've gotten into it and it helps ease the itching and pain. And yes, you can get it from your pets fur that's how I got the last two cases of it.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #7025175

Lolly,
You can get weed killer and dig down to the roots of it and put the killer directly on the roots. If you don't it will just come back again. Just do the thing with long sleeves and stuff to protect yourself. Just have to make sure you kill it all out.Wear as much protection as possible when doing it.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7025187

Look and see if you area has poison ivy killer available. I think our WM and Lowes carries it.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7025280

I think most places that has a gardening center carries it any more .
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7025303

One of the worst places we had it here on our place was in a bed of old, old irises around a big oak tree. Irises had probably been here 40 years and first thing to bloom each year. That was where my Min. Schnauzer was getting into it. Unfortunately, I was so determined to kill the poison ivy that even being careful [I thought] not to get Round Up PI formula on the irises, after I treated it irises died and never came back- and the poison ivy came back the next year. One of those things on my "I wish I hadn't done that" list.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #7025328

lasagna garden

Thumbnail by arejay59

seray53

September 4, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7025458

Looking good Arejay!!!! What are you going to plant in there?
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7025475

very nice... I think I got mine to thick ... its a big mound...maybe I should spread it out some over an adjoining piece of cardboard? But I put it in very thick grassy area...I dont know if it needs all the weight to kill out the grass..lol dilemma's let it be.. or spread it out a little?
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7025488

huney - the cardboard alone will kil of the grass and weed underneath. the aim is to make the garden bed even tho, so it it is more mounded looking, rather than raised bed looking, you may want to just do a little adjusting to even out the thickness... you can always add material here and there to make the surface more uniform.

if you arent using an edging, then naturally, the edges of your bed will slope, so dont worry if thats what its doing... but if it looks more like a burial mound... then ya may just want to ad material to build it up evenly...lol
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7025501

I cant wait to see what you guys fill your beds up with..I know they are going to be beautiful when they are filled with flowers...

.I have several pots of different petunias..They all are starving for fresh soil.. I think I will cut them back and set them over in my lasagna garden and see if I can get one round of flowering out of them..They have been pretty all summer shame not to give them one last chance...

I have a hibiscus I received after a friends funeral.. Maybe I will plant it there...Wonder if it will come back up next year?...We rarely have temps below 32..

I love the way Orioles LB turned out... Just beautiful...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7025507

LOL ..Its short and fat...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #7025522

Well you convinced me after looking at yours that I have enough to spread around and prob make it doubled in size... BUT that means I gotta get up and go get busy...I was thnking more along the means of nap... Is your bed ready to plant? Will you add to it to it deeper before you plant..Guess what im asking is, do you want the soil in the bed to be deep enough to cover the plant roots say of 4 inch pots..Most of my plants are bigger pots..Do you intend to just plant seeds and small rootings there?
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7025561

Hi Cue thanks for info.. I was thinking you needed enough soil or layers over cardboard to plant in? Am I rushing the planting thing by piling to much in each layer?
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7025673

nope... your lasagna bed can be made 24 inches high if you wish.. and its perfectly ok to plant right in it.. i did! overtime, the bed will 'sink' a bit.. almost by half, and the cardboard underneath will breakdown as well.. your plants roots will be able to get thru the cardboard and and root in the ground if they have extensive root systems.. so dont worry about that! You go ahead and plant away sista!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7025859

Seray, honey, & arejay- good job on your lasagna beds! you guys rock!
seray53

September 4, 2009

Post #7025860

I planted and finished. YEAH!!!!! One down one to go.

Thumbnail by seray53

seray53

September 4, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7025865

Thanks Mechelle. Don't forget Cue. She's so far ahead of us we can't even see her dust. Show us your pics Cue.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #7025879

That looks awesome Seray! Do you know the cultivars on the Iris? Cue is the big time bomb.. she's been our inspiration and knowledge tree in all of this. Cue, you're an "oak" ;-)
seray53

September 4, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #7025887

I do know the cultivars Mechelle. All are mixed. I'll have plenty to share in a few years if they like their new home.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7025891

Did you put top soil on your bed Seray? Iris are so hardy, they could do without probably. If they can make it, I am going to plant my Iris without top soil too.
seray53

September 4, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7025926

I used a mix of coir and worm castings on top. Was a little concerned about drainage and the coir was the same cost.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7026007

I'll get pics of the lasagna garden, as well as the Goth bed as soon as i can remember to pic up batteries for the camera!!! ROTFL... me head has so many projects going thru it right now, i tend to forget the little things
seray53

September 5, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7026792

Brug tribe meeting tonight. 6 minutes and counting... LOL
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7030176

Ya all got me worked up on this...But all I can do is plan, plan,plan..LOL..
I have 24 pcs. of clear fiber glass..I'm going to fastnen a 2 by 4 top & bottom.
Make them 9' by 3' by 18" high..Figure the clear wont make it hot..Can't wait.I have enough grass to mow & always catch it for mulch..Leaves are easy to get all I have to do is drive through town this fall..They are bagged up all over...Just have to ask if its okay..

Like I said on Chit Chat thread you all are quite the bunch..You have had me laughing out loud sitting here alone when DW Shirley is working..Somebody has to work..LOL.
I'm retired..Mostly just tired..LOL

Tubby
seray53

September 6, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7030304

Welcome Tubby

This is the place for entertainment that's for sure. What ya planning to plant in those fancy beds when you feel better? Clear fiberglass sounds like a nice way to frame it. Can't wait to see the pictures. Once you show us the pics that's when the entertainment starts you know. We'll take your idea and run with it. :) That's what we did with Cue on these lasagna beds.

I showed this group a old churn with a lotus in it when I first came on here. Everybody dug out old pickle jars, lard crocks, butter churns. Never did see what they planted in them. Just saw the crocks. LOL

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 8:13 PM
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7030377

Welcome tubby! Hope you're better real soon, but in the meantime, glad to have you hanging out with us!
Geez, seray, I missed all that, (before my DG time), now I have to dig thru the garage and find that old butter churn and pickle jars. Sheesh! Always something! LOL!
seray53

September 6, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7030395

Hi Skellogg

You'll be the first if you show us what you plant in it. LOL

Thumbnail by seray53

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #7030420

I want an old butter churn that still can be used. We have dairy farms around here and I want to make butter like I did as a kid. I'm going to the flea markets looking, maybe will find one soon.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7030425

Nice Seray. Which lotus is that?
seray53

September 6, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7030509

It's the Lotus 'Pink Bowl'. A dwarf variety. Do they die down in the winter?
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7030537

My BIL got some cream from his boss..We took turns churning..It was fun & sure taste good..Will have to do that again..Haven't done that since I was about 10yrs old..I spent summers helping out at BIL parents farm till I was 15yrs old..A learning experience..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7030589

Sure is. I grew up on a farm, milking cows and churning butter, we grew cotton-planted, hoed, picked and hated it. Killed our hogs for meat and plucked chickens, occaionally, for sunday dinner. Didn't have a tractor to plow, we used a mule and horse. Got water from a well house and cooked on a wood stove. Heated with a fireplace- cut the trees down with an ax and cut it up in pieces to put in the stove. Them was the good old (hard) days.
seray53

September 6, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7030598

My mother churned with one hand and read books with the other as a kid. When she got older she bought a churn in a big glass jar. You turned the handle and it churned the milk. She did it throughout her life when she could get fresh milk. :) All the grandkids helped just like you did. They all know what one looks like now. I still have the old crock churn. Couldn't pay me. LOL
seray53

September 6, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7030610

Takes it's toll on ya. Can't type right^ LOL
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7030643

Well I was rasied in the country but not on a farm but I still can remember MOM and GM churning butter, milking cows and the like. I didn't even know what a Bathroom was in a house until I got married LOL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7030657

I'm gonna find one. Just want to do it again and make that butter. I never saw one you turn a handle to do it. The one we had goes up and down and your arm feels like it's falling off before it gets done. But it's worth every bit of pain for that fresh butter. Uum !
I'm going to find someone with the cotton plant again and get seed for old time sake. I can remember picking cotton from morning till night, 30 cents a pound. That was good money. I picked for 2 days and got 10 cents, (AND huge blisters from the sun). I always got sun poisioning and had to wear a big straw hat and long sleeves all summer and pick in the shaded part of the field.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7030672

My GM had both kinds of the churns. LOL MOm used the one with the handle that turns and GM used the ols fashion one. MOM couldn't handle that one.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7030678

I was a teenager before we had inside plumbing and then it was well water pumped in and cold as alaska in winter. I was married by the time we got a hot water heater.(got married at 16).
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7030697

I was 18 when I got married wel not quite. Was married 2 months b4 my 18th B-Day
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7030701

There are definate advantages to having milk cows! All that home made butter, and all that cream sure makes really good ice cream! Yummie! LOL!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7030708

Remember the old birth certificates? Dr. hand written in ink. I ran away to get married on my birthday and changed the year I was born to make it look like I was 18. Darn- hindesite!!!
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7030800

We planted 60 'Kennebec's & 30 Red Pontiac's in first bed."On The Right"
This bed is made up of a duke mixture..First layer 2" grass fresh cut
"3 days old" Second layer 5" of mulched leaves..Third layer 2" of old straw
Now the potatoes..Forth layer 5" of old straw.. I'll mulch the straw next time..

Mulched Leaves
The left bed is easier ..Tilled as in first bed..Layed seed potatoes on top of the ground..Covered with a mix of mulched straw and leaves..Also Kennebecs from our garden last year..And the rest of the Red Pontiacs Total # of seed potatoes planted..I found it very hard to get the leaves wet... The ground is wet below & the straw is wet above it.I'm thinking that time will get them wet..Next time I will put down a layer of newspaper first & 2" or 3" mulched leaves..Then potatoes..We harvested this bed already got some nice potatoes..We had new potaoes by just reaching in leaves & wiggleing around till we found one..Didn't disturb plant...Sure beats digging..
The ground is wet below & the straw is wet above it.

Thumbnail by tubbytee

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7030821

Great job, how long you been doing this? It looks like it works good. Sure would be nice to have fresh potatoes without all the dirt.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7030828

Tubby, my GM and GGM always planted taters that way too. Good Friday. Always gotta start the taters on Good Friday, so they said. But if you miss that, then full moon. All I know is that when I planted on GF or a full moon, they always produced much more and grew better. Only planted taters 7 or 8 years, so can't say if it was just luck, or what. But it did always turn out better if I did plant during a full moon or on GF. When did you start yours?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #7030858

Good night , All. Back tomorrow. Nice chatting tubbytee. Hope to talk again. Love the raised garden beds.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #7030993

We missed good friday..Don't remeber the date or moon..but we must have done something right had decent batch of taters from the ones in leaves..The first bed is shaded by a row of Mexican sunflowers..So they are still plenty green..They also stay a little wetter in the straw I think..We wanted to keep adding leaves but it just got away from us..To many projects..Building new porch 44' long on house..poured patio that will have a deck above out from kitchen...then mister cancer come back to be pain in a@$.

Beat it once will do it again..I had stemcell transplant in august 04. Hope to have counts down about the end of Oct..I'm in my third treatment out of 4...Each treatment is 21 days with 7 day off..If counts are low enough I'll get transplant then..Fingers crossed..LOL

Not complaining..Just wanted you to know if I'm not on it might be a bad day..The steriods Do that.They suck.. Make me edgy and nervouse like..Call me shaky then LOL
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #7031186

TT, that is the ONLY way to plant and grow potatoes in my opinion. No digging! Can't beat that!
Sounds like you are doing great! I have no doubts that you will beat it again. We will all cross our fingers for you, as well. And we all miss days. Not a problem. We just pick up where we left off. And sometimes there's alot of reading and laughing to catch up on. Just keep in touch with us. We are a pretty entertaining bunch and like having new people join in on the fun! See ya tomorrow, gotta get some sleep now. Have a good evening! And again, welcome!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7032140

Here is a pic of one of my completed LG beds

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7032160

here is a second LB i done yesterday.. Topped with pecan hulls.. I wont plant this till next spring.. I added this around a few plants that were already growing

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #7032183

Wow, huney, that looks great! Wish we had pecan hulls around here to use. I really like the looks of those!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #7032185

We're praying for you tubbytee. Those counts WILL be down when you go back. With all the nuts here, the cells will be afraid we'll sqwash them if they don't run. With this laughter as meds, you will be better before you know it. Wife Shirley will be hiding the computer from you. Hehehahaha --We are addictive here.
seray53

September 6, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7032242

Huney Your beds look fantastic! What are you planning to plant in the round one?
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7032761

I really like the look of that round bed too. I think I'll do that around the two big trees in my front yard. Nothing planted there now, I've just got them mulched because of the roots. But lasagna beds would be ideal. Can you plant something to climb up the tree trunks that won't kill the trees?
seray53

September 6, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #7032897

There are lots of vines that would work. Some clematis would depending on the light. I have a white cathedral bell at the base of a big oak. It' doing ok so far. Not big enough to bloom. One of the oak's big limbs hangs over the street. If I could get it to bloom there it would be a pretty sight indeed! Check out the vines and climbers forum they are the experts.
Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7032986

We finished the Austin stone edging on our lasagna bed a week ago. It is 7 feet wide and 70 feet long. Plan on installing drip irrigation in it and then plant butterfly plants of all types. We had some heavy rain a couple days ago and it went up and over the stone edging, washing out some mulch. Our entire 5 acres is on a slope. Not a level spot anywhere. So we fight the water runoff problem on anything we do. Before we can add any more layers or plant anything, have got to install a couple underground pipe drains to divert water runoff.

A problem I'd point out to anyone who has bermuda grass or nutsedge in the area where you're making your lasagna bed. Both nutsedge and bermuda grass are finding its way to the top in some areas of my new bed. I used 10 to 12 sheets of newspaper on some of it and the rest was very thick cardboard. I think the problem is a combination of possibly not overlapping paper far enough and because I only put 3 or 4 inches of mulch on top of paper because of not wanting to harm the roots of the existing wax myrtle bushes. One thread on DG said you need thick and heavy layers to hold paper down tightly in order to kill out stubborn grasses like bermuda grass. I think I'm learning that person was right.

I still believe this is the best way to do a new bed and will start overhauling our entire back yard very soon.

DNP

Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7033036

Quoting: Can you plant something to climb up the tree trunks that won't kill the trees?

We have had a disaster with one of our very big oak trees in the front yard because we put a bed of asian jasmine around it and it held the water in and caused the tree to get very sick before we realized what was happening. When the sprinkler system ran, the rotor sprayers were hitting the trunk with a stream of water on every pass. Even when sprinklers were turned off, the rain caused the same effect. We feel so stupid that we didn't see what was happening until the tree was very sick. We've removed the asian jasmine and hope it will recover because that tree is well over 50 years old and perfectly healthy until we put that little bed around it. When I started reading information on internet about sick trees, said never to cover the root flares of an oak tree and some others also. Wish I'd seen that before.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7033071

new thread ladies (and gents)

follow the link the 'The Lasagna Garden Brigade #2'

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1035340/

Please... no posting in this thread after this one.. it confuses the natives...
bluffles
Austin, TX

September 6, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7033085

Newbie here. I want to try a lasagna garden on top of my clay/sand soil. I have about an acre and am starting to amend some of the soil, bit by bit.

Has anyone tried using pine cones for a layer? I'm in a pine forest, so lots of needles and cones available. I understand that the needles need lime to offset the acidity...but what about the cones? ...are they acidic too? They are sharp little buggers...do you think it is necessary to break them up? I don't have a shredder.

Thumbnail by bluffles

LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7033090

That's good to know. I rarely have to water my yard, usually we get adequate rain for that. I'm thinking just a clematis or maybe a morning glory but I'm not sure enough sun would get in for that.
seray53

September 6, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7033097

Thanks for the info DNP! Your stone edging looks very nice. Will be pretty with the flowers.

Good reminder about covering the roots with too much soil etc. The previous owners put a bed around a big oak here. It was suffering when we bought the place. We had to remove the bed (large) and then get a specialist out to work on the tree. Doing good now.

That would be good research to see what would work best under trees lasagna wise. Off to find a tree forum. LOL
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7033101

welcome bluffles..

Im not sure about the cones, maybe one of the others can answer that for you over on the new thread.

please follow the link

its to the new thread.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #7033113

Lollyjean, my morning glories do great in the shade. Actually, they are looking better than the ones in the sun. Don't think you would need to do anything extra with the soil, just sow seeds and watch them go up the tree. I have the tiny scarlet red/orange one going up a dogwood tree and it's absolutely beautiful. The only sun it gets is at the top of the tree. Everywhere else is shaded.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #7033122

ok.. one more time...

the NEW thread is here :

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7033136

CUE, just answering old thread question, thought you didn't want any posting in new thread so not to confuse any natives. Geeeeze.
seray53

September 6, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7033141

Lollyjean

Cue has made us a new thread. Come on over
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7033150

ROTFL.. mekos.. I meant no posting int he closed thread...silly woman...

and i wasnt sure my posts were coming thru...LOL.. thought there was something wrong... so tried one last time.. since no one acknowledged them.. i thought they werent showing up or something... geeeeeeeze

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America