Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peppers: Favorite Sweet/milds?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 31, Views: 413
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6981364

Would you please share your favorite sweet or mild peppers with a newbie?

Type, Name why you like it...hints on growing it...Please?

I think it might be interesting for all...if I missed a list on here please forgive me...I looked through quite a bit of the threads and didn't see one...

Please and thanks in advance...

Hugs,

Jamie

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6981584

Hola Jamie

Nice to meet ya

I am a displaced valleyitam from McAllen and Mission.

Our family does not like bell peppers or should Isay they dont like us.

Si U sed ancho, they are pretty mild and apart from
making the best chiles
rellenos you ever ate they substitute well for bells.

There are also some mild
jalapenos out there like
the TAM s developed by
Texas A & which are not
hot... in general ('always
am exception here or
there) the bigger the halapeno, the less how.

The less water thru rain
or watering that the plants receives the hotter the pepper, so i you keep them well watered they
will not get s hot on you.

Hoever if you set out to get used o the heat, your tolerance will gradulally build up and hotness will
not bother you so much down the road.

Hugs BajaBlue
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6981661

The open pollinated Giant Aconcagua and Red Marconi are prolific thin walled sweet peppers. The hybrids Cubanelle and Gypsy are are similar. All of these can be used green or red as you would bells. They're much more prolific and less prone to sunscald in my opinion.

Many people complain that bells are more difficult to grow. I've only grown 2, the hybrid Gatorbelle and an unknown I received in a trade called Redskin. They do well enough but need more fertilizer than the others to maintain some size. I've never grown one of those big ones like they have in the grocery stores. I don't know if it's my fault or that those varieties don't get real large.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

August 24, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6981673

Favorite mild peppers in my garden:
Trinidad Scorpion,7 Pod,Purira, Habaneros...

Why I like them:
Because they are tastey and I can use them to tone down my Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokias.

Growing them:
They grow different plant by plant sometimes.
They will tell you when they want something.
Sometimes I think they just like to mess with you no matter what you do.

Couldn't resist... :)

The sweet I like best is the Pimento Tangerine.
Golf Ball pods that are really sweet.Excellent flavor.

I don't grow many sweets.

Mild Favorites:
Cascabel,Chile Negro,Nu Mex varieties(Garnet,Sweet),California Chile,Puya,Japone,Cascabele,Roasting Peppers(Italian Gourmette,Jimmy Nordello...),Alma Paprika(cheese Peppers),Wax Peppers.

Depending on how long you keep some of the Wax Peppers and roasters on the plant can determin the heat.
A lot of the oriental peppers that are quite hot when red are sweet to mild when green.

Allmost all of my rubs/Powders start out with a base of Chile Negro and Cascabel,they are great flavor blenders.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6983843

LOL Smokemaster...

My favorites are Gypsy and Carmen this year for sweets. I wish I could get Jimmy Nardello to grow for me. For the mild, the Senorita Jalapeno is pretty good so far. I also like Numex Joe E Parker, but it may be mild or hotter depending on how much water it gets I think.

I start all my peppers from seed using Critter's method. This year I am growing them all in 5 gal. grow bags. They have done so well that way, I'll probably use them again next year.

Becky
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6984414

Okay Way behind...lol

BajaBlue - Thank You dear. Sorry to hear you had to leave our beautiful valley. I am a transplant here so I am aquiring a taste for some heat but, have a llllllllooooooooonnnnnnnggggg way to go. Do love to make chili rellenos and am always in search of a good Ancho for that or pablano for Tamalas. Thanks!...Did not know about the water thing at all.

Twiggy- You're Everywhere! ;o) Your suggestions sound great. I like the thin walled idea. The Bells I wouldn't really care about size so much as flavor. Thanks honey.

Smokemaster - cute! ...lol...That little sweet sounds yummy and the real milds sound like something I need to look into (the search is on! ;o)) I did not no about the change in heat with roasting and waxes when you left then to ripen longer...only get that from someone who's grown them...thanks!

Becky - Thanks for kicking in especially with the hint on the Joe E Parker specifically. That's nice to know to watch if I try that one.

You guys have been amazing so far...anyone else? I've got a dozen sticky notes I need to type out to put in a journal of some kind before I get completely lost...lol...Hugs and Thanks so much...keep em coming...

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #7004319

Not exactly sweet, but not hot either, is Holy Mole! Has a wonderfully smoky flavor that serves well in Mexican dishes, and is very prolific. I also like the Aconcagua and Cubanelle, and last year's Pont du Paris totally Wow'd us. Just kept going and going and going...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #7046875

What is Pont du Paris like and where do you get it? Sounds interesting. I had a rotten year for peppers!
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7049129

My favorite is Tollies Sweet. Here in Maine, it can be tough to grow peppers to maturity.
Very Productive, great flavor, and is one of the few to reach the red stage in Maine by the time frost hits.
It is an OP, so you can save seed if you are so inclined.

Another good one is Gypsy. Very prolific and good taste. Can be thrown into anything you are cooking for supper.

Thumbnail by cyndiehook
Click the image for an enlarged view.

twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7049425

Cyndie those are gorgeous. They look very similar to Red Marconi and Chervena Chushka. Have you grown those? I'd love to know how they compare.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7049509

Hi Twiggy,
I have grown both the Red Marconi and Chervena Chuska.
The years I grew them, they did not produce yields even close to what I get from Tollies. But, we have a very small window of warm season, so that can make a difference.
The Marconi had very few fruits, but I plan on trying the Chervena again. I love red peppers.
Another one I am growing this year is Sweet Pickle. I got it in a trade and expected a small ornamental, but it is very prolific and now I am wondering if there are more than one varieties with this name because the peppers are quite large, not ornamental size. This I think is the canning/pickling variety.
I may be saving those seeds.
The same bug that bites us with the tomatoes seems to bite us with peppers. LOL
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #7050341

Thanks for the word. I think I need to put those on my wish list. My neighbor invited me over to see her flower bed this evening and I discovered she'd been holding out on me. I rescued a few pods of what looks like that 5 color ornamental that I can't remember the name of just this minute. I know I must have some kind of illness compelling me to collect all this stuff.

smokemaster
North Hills, CA

September 11, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #7050600

Illness?
You're just staring to feel the cure.

Before you were just growing colored weeds.
You were very , very , very sick...
Just starting to come around.

No such thing as too many pepper plants. : )
Non bell of coarse.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7051755

I got the Pont du Paris from the Seed Library in upstate NY. Check them out as they are a very worthy organization. Membership is only $10 a year, and they are trying to save and share many local and special heirlooms. They have regular "sales", then they also have their Library, where you check out seeds and return them at the end of the season, from your own saved seed. Very cool, and they have some fun varieties.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #7052014

Sequee, what's Pont du Paris like - long, bell, sweet, spicy? It sounded good if it wowed you, or was that just because of its productivity?
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7058922

Loooong and sweet, great for stuffing and cooking and eating fresh. And I do have some seed that I saved last season, so I can send you some if you want to d-mail me your addy. (Even if you're in the exchange - it helps for me to have a "flag" for my poor memory!)

I "think" this is a photo of them, can't be 100% positive from the thumbnail - will let you know in a minute!

Thumbnail by Sequee

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7058927

Well, those are the plants, but you can't see the peppers at that point. I'll try one more - again, may or may not be the right one...

Thumbnail by Sequee

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7058931

That's pathetic - I still can't tell!

Thumbnail by Sequee

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7058935

That's better - those are for sure's!
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #7064134

I planted Carmen and Gypsy for the first time this year. They have moved to the top of my list: very productive and very tasty!
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

September 15, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #7065188

Don't mistake Carmen with Carmine.
You'll be getting a BIG suprise. LOL
christmascactus

September 20, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7084324

sequee,does the Seed Library have a website & can you order by mail?

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7181418

Probably my top two sweets this year were Gypsy (super productive, and started producing earlier than any others) and Giant Marconi, just loaded with peppers.

You might really enjoy this article. I learned a lot from it on non-bells. I'd just about given up on being able to grow sweets, because all my bells rotted out. You'll see a lot of the same names you've seen listed here!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/630/

HTH!
Angie

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7282607

I haven't had any trouble growing bells. I have had the best production from the Purple Beauty.

I am just getting into POTB (peppers other than bells) and I love reading these threads.

Here is one of my plants from this year. The peppers weren't huge but they were very productive. The size may have been limited because my beds were only 5" deep.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7287648

Cajun - Hi honey - Question - Did you find them heavy feeders?

Hugs,

Jamie
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #7288735

They were planted in potting soil that was amended with composted horse manure and sawdust. I never did anything else to the bed other than sprinkling a few crushed eggshells one day.
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7292799

The sweet peppers I have tried are Red Marconi, Jimmy Nardello's, regular
bell peppers and Banana Peppers. I did not find the Red Marconi to be thin
walled. It is sweet and I will be growing it again next year, but the Jimmy
Nardello's, which are thin-walled and smaller, had a much better flavor.
This last year I fed my peppers more and it made a difference. I actually
had some nice bell peppers. Next year I will be growing tons of peppers.
Some of the new varieties will be Golden Marconi, Antohi Romanian, Chervena
Chushka, Tollie's Sweet Italian, Cubanelle and of course hot peppers.
Oh, CajuninKy--Those Purple Beauty Peppers look very nice. The closest
I'm coming to that color next year will be Mini Brown Bell Pepper.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
6:07 AM

Post #7295377

I have the mini browns also. Would you like to try the purple beauties?

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7300662

I think Spanish Spice is the most fantastically flavored non hot on earth and few people know about it.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7301160

Vor, would you like to trade some seeds? I have never heard of that one and I'd love to try it.
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7310118

Thanks for the offer CajuninKy. I received some purple beauties
in Heather's tomato and pepper exchange. Who know's, maybe
your the one who sent them in.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7311567

I did send in a bunch. Hope you enjoy them. They are great for conversation as well as cooking. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America