Photo by Melody

Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing: finding the right pressure canner

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus FreezingReplies: 3, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
julesverne
Melbourne, FL

August 24, 2009
10:47 AM

Post #6982120

Currently I use the cold-pack method for my beans, which I do love the end product, because they are so brightly-colored and crunchy. I have lots of freezer space, plus I usually eat up the stuff within 6 months or so. Growing up in a much colder area, we relied on the hot-packed green beans, thruout the winter months. But they are really just too mushy and usually kinda yucky to me (altho they still taste good). Now though I live in a very warm climate and am lucky enough to be able to grow stuff almost year-round. Currently any extra veggies/produce are just given to neighbors or donated, since there is no real necessity to can stuff and save it. But I would love to learn much more about the art of hot-pack/canning veggies, to preserve some of my garden veggies for a later time, and to make good use of when it is all abundant. Right now I'm swamped with eggplants and okra, and have to find a good use for those; but it changes from month to month, whether it's beans, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, or peppers.
My current problem is finding the right pressure canner/cooker for my stove - which is a ceramic glasstop one. Most I've looked at do not recommend using their canners on these types of stoves.
Any recommendations? Suggestions?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 24, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6982382

Hi;

No there is no way your going to put a canner unless it is a tiny thing that is a size of a sauce pan on a ceramic type. We built a new house about five years ago and I went to Lowes to look at stoves, and the sales man was trying to get me to buy one. I looked at that pretty shiny surface and a flash of a huge pressure scrapping across that surface made me laugh out loud.
Now I tell you what you can do, what I have always done ---well not the last five years - because too much has been going on. BUT there are places around that sells old cheap stoves. Buy one of them and put it down in your basement or a space in your garage. Maybe you can be lucky like me and have a husband that is good at putting a t(220) in for you. If not you could get someone for not too much money.
I bought an old stove off of my neighbor at a yard sale. I loved that old thing, it was the same kind of stove my grandmother had - it was big white , rounded edges. Had a coil heating element, a deep soup well (I loved that). It also served as an extra oven for the holidays. We put it in the garage. My neighbor I could tell wanted it back after all was said and done. But she enjoyed it for years along with me because I would cook a pot of chili in it on crisp autumn days and she and her family would come over and enjoy while we gardened together and our husbands hung out. Those were good days. An extra stove is so very handy!

When we moved with my husband's

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6984094

julesverne, I'm sorry, but I don't know of any pressure canner that wouldn't damage your ceramic cook top. They tend to be such big, heavy pieces of equipment, and weigh even more once you get them filled with jars of produce and water. I'd just hate to risk destroying your cooktop!

I'm jealous of your extended growing season! It must be lovely to have fresh produce over a longer period of time. It seems that everything ripens at once here, and I suddenly have an overabundance of tomatoes, beans, corn, peppers, and cucumbers, all needed to be preserved at once! LOL

Thanks for reading and offering your perspective on hot-pack vs. cold pack. If I'd had more beans on hand, I would have done some each way and done a side-by-side comparison!

Angie

This message was edited Aug 25, 2009 4:20 PM
eatingweeds
Roanoke, VA

August 25, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6987072

I pressure can green beans always. Tried freezing, and I found that I preferred the canned ones over the frozen ones. When I remodeled my kitchen, I chose not to purchase a ceramic stove top because I knew I could not use my pressure cooker for canning. I don't have space in my basement for a second stove, so I went with a traditional electric range top so I could continue to can those beans (and lots of other things as well). Good article.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Preserving Beans FenwickFarm 2 Aug 24, 2009 9:49 PM
Kudos! steadycam3 1 Aug 24, 2009 9:53 PM
Good article, easy to follow instruction bolino 5 Aug 24, 2009 10:26 PM
Freezing green beans kramer12 2 Aug 24, 2009 10:04 PM
Pressure Canners Keeshawn 1 Feb 17, 2010 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America