Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper: how do you make the salve?

Communities > Forums > Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper
bookmark
Forum: Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie SupperReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
iloveperennials
Rochester, NY

August 24, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #6982126

that's my question...how do you make the goldenseal salve? oh yeah, and how do you propagate goldenseal? I have one plant, and I really enjoyed watching it flower and make that pretty red fruit. I want MORE. thanks
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6982656

Hi iloveperennials...

Making salve the old way, and probably the easiest way for me, is to soak the plant in a sealed jar of oil until it becomes mushy, and then strain it to get the plant remnants out, then add melted beeswax to the remaining liquid, letting it harden until you have a salve.

Here's a link to the first Aunt Bett article that I wrote, and there is some information in it about making salves, etc.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/780/

I am not sure about propagation, it just grows wild here and though I enjoy it, I have never tried to transplant or propagate.

There is a young man, his DG name is hello85, and he enjoys working with wildflowers. He might be able to tell you more about goldenseal and its propagation. He is a big help to me when I am searching for photos, seems he has just about every plant I mention.

Does this help??
Hope so, but if it doesn't, then let me know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good old Goldenseal the1pony 7 Aug 18, 2009 1:16 PM
goldenseal daphnep 7 Aug 25, 2009 2:08 PM
I sure enjoyed this! Bookerc1 3 Aug 24, 2009 4:11 PM
Good phicks 7 Sep 3, 2009 12:35 AM
Does Bring Back Memories.... zhinusmom 1 Aug 19, 2009 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America