Photo by Melody

Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing: Preserving Beans

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus FreezingReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FenwickFarm
Williamsport, MD

August 24, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #6982171

Thank you so much for this most detailed article. I am new to 'preserving' so I found this article clearer than any book I have. Now, if my four dogs would stop eating my lovely beans right from my bushes, I might have some to preserve!
phizz
Albany, OR

August 24, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6982927

When using your frozen beans, while they are still in the container, rinse them under the faucet with cold water. This takes the "freezer taste" out of them. I found this out accidently when I rinsed to remove frost in the bag.
Then add a little water, bacon,onion or what ever favorite addition and boil.
Phizz, now 80 in Oregon

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6984114

Thanks for commenting, FenwickFarm! It is always nice to know someone found the article useful! I hear you on the dogs. I think she is headed to the garden to chase rabbits, and instead find she is nibbling on my veggies herself! LOL

Phizz, thanks for the pointer. I'll have to try that! I like to cook my frozen beans a very short amount of time, so they retain that crisp, almost fresh texture. Onions and bacon are always a nice addition! I also like a drizzle of herbed vinaigrette and add some halved cherry tomatoes. Such a nice color combination, and the flavor really comes out with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar!

Angie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
finding the right pressure canner julesverne 3 Aug 25, 2009 6:16 PM
Kudos! steadycam3 1 Aug 24, 2009 9:53 PM
Good article, easy to follow instruction bolino 5 Aug 24, 2009 10:26 PM
Freezing green beans kramer12 2 Aug 24, 2009 10:04 PM
Pressure Canners Keeshawn 1 Feb 17, 2010 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America