Photo by Melody

Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing: Good article, easy to follow instruction

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus FreezingReplies: 5, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6982270

Great article for novices like me!
Napergal
Naperville, IL

August 24, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6983142

I have a great freezer cookbook that I have had for years and it tells how to blanch your veggies for freezing, using the microwave. That is the method I have used for years for my green beans! You just put a small batch of them in a casserole dish with a few tablespoons of water, cover and micro for about 3-4 mins. Then I drain and put in ice water for a few minutes or so to chill, and dry throughly on clean tea towels and I put them in vacuum sealed bags from my Seal-A-Meal. They will keep for over a year or so, because there is no air or ice crystals (that's whey you dry them well ...a lettuce spinner takes a lot of moisture off of them!!) to harm them. When I take out a package, I cut it open and pop the beans in a microwaveable container and zap them for about 3 or 5 mins and they taste like they just came from the garden. I sometimes put them in a saute pan with a little garlic and olive oil ...and serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Yum!!
Sandy
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6983644

Yum!!!!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6984142

Napergal, great to hear from another Illinois member! Thanks for the microwaving tips. I cook fresh veggies in the microwave all the time for meals, but have never tried blanching them for freezing that way. It would sure cut down on the steam and humidity in the kitchen on hot August days!

I love them with sauteed, then drizzled with an olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette, with a few cherry tomatoes cut in half and heated just long enough to warm them. And it looks so pretty in the serving dish!

Angie

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6984160

Bolino, so glad you found it easy to follow! Canning can sound so intimidating when you are just beginning, but if you break it down into steps, there really isn't anything very difficult about it. The hardest part is getting all the things hot at the right time--jars hot and clean, boiling water to blanch beans, and more to cover beans in the jars, water heated in the canner, lids in a pan of hot water. Be prepared for a nice steam facial! LOL

I'd love to hear back from any newbie canners or freezers who decide to give it a try! There is just something so profoundly satisfying about hearing those lids pop as they seal, and seeing all the jars of produce lined up on the shelf!

Angie
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6984277

Next year I will be trying it. I'll let you know then. I just moved here last year and this is my first garden here. The soil needs more amendments and I have many new insects and critters that I've haven't had in past gardens, so the garden isn't prolific enough for preserving.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
finding the right pressure canner julesverne 3 Aug 25, 2009 6:16 PM
Preserving Beans FenwickFarm 2 Aug 24, 2009 9:49 PM
Kudos! steadycam3 1 Aug 24, 2009 9:53 PM
Freezing green beans kramer12 2 Aug 24, 2009 10:04 PM
Pressure Canners Keeshawn 1 Feb 17, 2010 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America