Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing: Freezing green beans

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus FreezingReplies: 2, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kramer12
Warrenville, IL

August 24, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6982454

I also love to garden and to can, but not green beans. My question is, after freezing the green beans, how long to you cook them? the last time I did this, they came out awful! I put the bag in boiling water for about 6 minutes, but I didn't parboil them. Thanks Chris
wvgardendeva
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6982726

I gave up freezing green beans because I don't like the way they taste. I blanched them for just 2 minutes before freezing. Last year I dehydrated beans and used them in soup. They taste much better than the frozen ones, in my opinion. I rehydrated some and ate them with a little seasoning, and found that they were pretty good, too.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6984184

Chris, I prefer my beans tender-crisp, so I cook them only long enough to really heat them. I think it depends a lot on the texture you like.

From your post, it sounds as if you boiled them in the bag. Was it the texture or flavor that you objected to?

I have two favorite ways to prepare them: I sautee some bacon and chopped onion in the pan first, drain off most of the grease, and add a little chicken broth, maybe 1/2 cup? I add the frozen beans and cook until they are heated through.

My other favorite way to serve them is to saute them in a very small amt. of olive oil, add halved cherry tomatoes for about the last minute, and then drizzle with an herbed olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.

wvgardendeva, thanks for sharing your experience with dehydrated beans. I've never tried that method, so I'm glad you passed along what worked!

Angie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
finding the right pressure canner julesverne 3 Aug 25, 2009 6:16 PM
Preserving Beans FenwickFarm 2 Aug 24, 2009 9:49 PM
Kudos! steadycam3 1 Aug 24, 2009 9:53 PM
Good article, easy to follow instruction bolino 5 Aug 24, 2009 10:26 PM
Pressure Canners Keeshawn 1 Feb 17, 2010 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America