Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Container Gardening: growing carrots, onions and beets and potatoes in Smart Pot

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 24, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6982881

I bought some #10 and #15 smart pots for growing onions, potatoes, carrots and beets in. I am a new gardener, fairly new anyways. I was wondering if anyone has grown any of these veggies in smart pots and has some tips for me? Also; instead of thinning, can't I just plant like two seeds and pluck out the weak one when it comes to carrots?
joy
grik
Saint Paul, MN

August 24, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6984390

I've used smart pots for container vegetable gardening and I like them. However when you grow something that trails over the edge the pot edge will deform and it makes it more difficult to water. It is also difficult to cage tomatoes in them unless you cage the entire pot.

I only grew carrots once in them and although they looked fine I was not impressed with the flavor as compared to the carrots I had in the ground. I wondered if the fact that they were subject to warmer temperatures in the pot vs the ground had an affect on the flavor. I don't know. I thinned my crop a couple of times as they grew bigger and ate them as tiny carrots. Onions do fine. Potatoes do fine.

I've also grown bush squash, cabbage, and cucumbers in them that did well.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 25, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6986348

Hmmm, thanks glad you told me that about the tomatoes, as I had thought about planting some toms in them this February, will have to make sure if I do that that I have a cage that will fit over the whole thing. I tried carrots in a HEB this past season, was the wrong season to plant them of course and they were so tiny, I think I should have thinned them also. That is why I was thinking putting two seeds every inch - 2 inches so I wouldn't have to thin them.
joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America