Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: Grainy mealy tomato

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 13, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6983320

I just picked my first tomato. It was so mealy or grainy or whatever you call it, that I threw it out! What causes a tomato to be this way? Is it the type of plant, weather or what? I have no idea what type of plant this is because it came in a small 6 pack called cherry, 2 plants were the regular size!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6992085

I doubt that we can help you much except maybe to say this has been a difficult year for most growers. Your inconsistancy from a market pack suggests you should purchase seedlings somewhere else next spring. The cold and exceptionally wet early season could explain your grain and lack of flavor.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6992112

Someone from Indiana said that theirs were all mealy also. I guess it is the weather. I bought one nice tomato plant but the hail damaged it really bad. So on a whim I just bought a $1.39 six-pack cherries so I would have something. In a couple of days I will pick the second large tomato and I'll see what that one is like. I only have a very tiny garden around my apartment patio so I do gardening on a small scale. But I do have a good variety of flowers.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6992128

The second or third set in circumstances like this year are usually better in all ways. Hope you do not get the late blight.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6992182

I didn't know what tomato late blight was so I looked it up. Yuck!!! I had most of one plant whither away but I think that was from powdery mildew. Basically the leaves dried up but there was nothing on the stems or the cherries. From the photos I saw, lblight starts out with blotchy leaves or fuzzy stems. I will watch for it. But is there anything you can do about it?
pennyrile
Evansville, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6992330

Genetics plus bad weather conditions. Period. I hate those kind of tomatoes. Some tomatoes will become grainy at the least provocation. Other varieties will only become grainy or mealy under extremely poor weather conditions ... like what we've had in Indiana all dang summer!

Bill
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6992365

I had such high hopes for that tomato. I was suspicious when I sliced it. However, when I took one bite, I spit it out in the sink!!!! Yuck!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6993498

This is why I grow different heirlooms from known good sources each year. They give me less fruit but nicer and better tomatoes...now the cover all finish...in most instances. I had five go down this year yet they gave me some fruit. One hearty soul from days gone by named Tidwell German appears to be blight resistance. It's a new grow for me so I know nothing about its goodness factors to taste untill we eat one. I do know it grew within a few feet of five others that are history as consumed by the late blight while it continues to look good.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6993762

Thanks for the info and I have copied it for the future. Let me know how the Tidwells taste.
pennyrile
Evansville, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6994868

Tidwell German was a fairly carefree plant to grow last summer. Good, large tomatoes too. Old fashion flavor, not overly assertive, a tad sweet. Not as meaty as I like them but not really seedy either. Overall, I'd say it's a good old large size slicer worthy of a spot in the garden every year, really. And being from New Hope, Tennessee has got to give it a leg up with country music fans and hillbillies worldwide!
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7008299

Bill, do your tomatoes continue to be grainy, mushy? I keep thinking that the next one I pick will be better. But no!!! And they look so nice.
pennyrile
Evansville, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7013396

Venice, my tomatoes have straightened their act out quite a bit now that the monsoons have let up down here! I have two that remain a bit grainy or mushy, but those are some crossbreeds I've been working on and growing out, so no reference points on them. All the normal ones have gone back to good ol' slicing and eatin' maters.

Bill
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7013580

Tidwell German is going to yeild the first set to the blight. That appears to be a gone done fact. The second set is showing me two huge matters with no indications of blight although blight is into the bottom of the plant. These two are light green showing a touch of pink. They will go red but have to fight off the blight for at least another week. There is a third set but I doubt they will have time to make in my zone.

Matters at the farmer's market this past week were about a dollar and a quarter a pound. Five bucks did not buy many! Forty bucks a bushel but what I saw was a well heaped bushel. The greenhouse tomatoes were actually less both raised in the ground and as hydrophonics. I do not buy them.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #7014084

Bill, lucky you!!! My are still mushy. I hate that! My neighbor had throw out her first tomatoes. Then she planted others later. Hers are good. I am so jealous. But at least it give me something to put in my compost!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America