Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Equine Forum: First day under a dressage saddle

Communities > Forums > Equine Forum
bookmark
Forum: Equine ForumReplies: 41, Views: 382
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MelissahL
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6983464

I have not been on this forum in ages; but I thought I would introduce my 4 year-old solid bred paint quarter horse. He was given the name JesseJames after a famous quarter horse. I have had him for about 2 years and have been riding him western. All the training I have done with him has been in an effort to make him an all around stock horse. We have competed in pleasure and versatility mainly and have done some work with cattle - very little work actually. I have been wanting to put this little bay under an English saddle since the day I bought him - dressage - actually. So beautiful and this horse wants to learn and loves to please.

After two years of talking about it, a friend of mine found me a beautiful dressage saddle (from the Equestrian Market Day in Bryan/College Station, Tx), and got together all the rest of the things one needs and I had my first lesson today. Just the basics. It will be the basics for a while until my new dressage trainer comes back in September.

Everything I have learned as a western rider is just the opposite in the English world. I am not unlearning anything just learning another way to ride.

I hope to post more as I learn more and share some of my experiences and begin keeping up with the equine forum. I know there is much to learn and plenty of DG'ers who will keep me on the stright and narrow.

Melissa

Thumbnail by MelissahL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

This thread has 41 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Equine Forum Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What I'm teaching Cynister Jenks 6 Jun 21, 2007 9:58 PM
My herd in pictures dmcdevitt 49 Jun 23, 2007 12:20 AM
What do you think caused these injuries? Jenks 36 Jun 23, 2007 12:25 AM
You probably already have a toxic plant list, right? mdvaden 42 Jul 13, 2009 12:50 AM
You've probably already seen this... horsey humor.... Pagancat 8 Mar 18, 2009 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America