Photo by Melody

Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning: Talk about memories!!

Communities > Forums > Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Called It Jellamy: CanningReplies: 5, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindabeck
Airdrie
Canada

August 24, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6983724

I recall those days as a child when my mother and grandmothers, aunts, friends were doing the putting down in the fall. I wanted to grow up so that I could join them. I remember my grandmother in Manitoba taking me with her down to her root cellar to collect items for the day's meals. I couldn't believe how much was down there. She canned just about everything - no power - no refrigeration (not even an ice box). I remember how good everything tasted. And I'll never forget her canned chickens. So good!!
I did some canning myself while my kids were little, but like you, I do not do it anymore, mainly because I work too much!! But I sure did enjoy the fruits of the labour, even though it was a lot of time consuming work.
Take care, Sharon and thanks for the memories
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6983761

Hi Linda...
So glad you have good memories too. I have another article about Root Cellars, it ran sometime last fall, you might enjoy it as well. It will be listed on my home page when you have time to read it.

Great to hear from you again, but canned chicken??? Really? I can't imagine canning a chicken.

Time and work does change a lot of things, doesn't it?

Take care, thanks for writing, it's always good to hear from you.
Sharon
lindabeck
Airdrie
Canada

August 24, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6984265

Sharon, those canned chickens were sooo good!! When I met my husband, we lived in Edmonton, Alberta - late 60's - and we used to be able to buy canned chicken and canned bacon in stores at that time, and the chicken reminded me so much of my grandmother's. The bacon is wonderful too! They were from Denmark, I believe. Tulip brand, I believe?? - don't know if you ever got them in the States, but I would assume so.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6984634

Thanks Linda,

I appreciate the information.

Hope your week is good.
robertahunt40
Knightstown, IN

August 25, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6986734

Hi Linda,
After 30 years I am gardening and canning again. I am having so much fun and the activity is bringing back memories of those same acitvities with my mother and grandmother. It is never too late to start again.
Thank you for all of your articles. I have gone back and read them with so much enjoyment.
Your memories stir mine.
Sincerely,
Roberta
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6986913

Glad you enjoy them, Roberta.

I like your statement: it's never too late to start again.
So true, and the memories make it even better.
And that's the purpose of my articles, to stir up memories, if nothing else.

Happy gardening and canning to you.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Called It Jellamy: Canning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
:-) 4paws 6 Aug 23, 2009 2:23 AM
You make me smile..... imapigeon 3 Aug 31, 2008 4:42 PM
Good phicks 1 Aug 31, 2008 8:35 PM
Great memories Shar! heavenscape 1 Aug 31, 2008 11:53 PM
Jellamy Aunt_A 3 Sep 1, 2008 10:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America