Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing: Pressure Canners

Communities > Forums > Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing
bookmark
Forum: Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus FreezingReplies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Keeshawn
Onancock, VA

August 25, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6984701

I have an"old" canner that I still use. Every year before I use it I take the top to the County Extension office where they have a machine to test the seal and valve for safety. My mother used it before me so for 50+ years it's still working and was a great buy!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
1:06 AM

Post #7565297

So sorry I missed your comment earlier! Pressure canners are certainly built to last! I "inherited" two, from both of my grandmothers, and they are definitely solidly built! The pressure gauges were becoming increasingly unreliable, however, and the local extension service no longer offered testing, so I finally broke down and purchased a new one. I decided to splurge on one that could handle a double-layer of pint jars, and have never regretted the purchase!

I still have both of the older canners, however, and like to pull them out for things that only need a water bath. The memories associated with them are so sweet, I can't bring myself to think of parting with them, regardless of how much space it takes to store two old and one new one!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Preserving Green, Wax, or Snap Beans: Canning versus Freezing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
finding the right pressure canner julesverne 3 Aug 25, 2009 6:16 PM
Preserving Beans FenwickFarm 2 Aug 24, 2009 9:49 PM
Kudos! steadycam3 1 Aug 24, 2009 9:53 PM
Good article, easy to follow instruction bolino 5 Aug 24, 2009 10:26 PM
Freezing green beans kramer12 2 Aug 24, 2009 10:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America