Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Houseplants: Spider Plant Runners?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 18, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bunni

August 25, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6984797

Once I have cut off the baby spider off the runner close to the baby what do I do with the long runner?
Do I leave it? Will it regrow another baby? Or do I have to cut it back so it will re grow and re grow a baby?

Thankyou :)
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

August 25, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #6985646

I normally cut the runner off. I don't think it serves any use except to the baby spider plant.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6986609

Dipsy is correct. Once the babies are cut off, the runner serves no purpose. Cut it off and enjoy your new babies.
bunni

August 25, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6987007

Ok thankyou I found so much info on cutting the babies I couldnt' find out what to do with the actual runner after the fact..

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6987537

Funny how everybody assumes we all know what to do "after". My 1st spider babies kept the stem they were on until it fell off. They looked ridiculous with these long stems sticking out of the water glass and pot! LOL
bunni

August 25, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6987840

lol... Well I now have 10 babies in pots & potting soil I just bought LOTS of pots from the dollar store, 6 in water, 3 in my tortoise enclosure my husband is going to be THRILLED when he gets home and my plant still has about 25 babies still attached!
I only got it the other day for my tortoise because the babies will make great little plants for her terrarium but I kind of got all this surplus to have fun with!! haha.
I'm going to leave the remainder as is... but I want back up incase my mommy plant dies or something awful happens!
It better not as i'm now obsessed with it!!
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

August 26, 2009
8:25 AM

Post #6989339

I'm obsessed with spider plants too; I have 4 at the minute; one I bought and the other 3 were given to me as babies. I've always had a fascination with them.

I did have either 10 or 11 solid green ones, but I gave them all but one away. I kept the smallest one; I think it was the baby of a baby of a baby'. It had 4 leaves on it; the longest of which was about an inch in length; that was last June/July...now it's bushy and 18inches tall..thriving; I did keep a few but then more people kept commenting on how nice they were so I gave the "nicer" ones away and kept the really cute little one.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6991041

I always thought of the runner as the umbilical cord, once the babies are removed you cut the cord! ^_^

I have Spider Plants: http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/chlo_com.cfm growing in a flower bed in my backyard and something is eating the foliage ... Grrr!

I never knew there were so many different varieties, I see 15 listed in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Liliaceae/Chlorophytum/none/cultivar/0/

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6991071

Nice way of putting it, Lyn. Thanks!
flowers_delight
Leicester, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6996667

If you take the babies and put them in the dirt with the mother you will get a fuller plant. After they root then you can cut them loose.
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

August 28, 2009
9:51 AM

Post #6996888

There are LOADS of spider plant varieties. You can get short leaved ones and long leaved ones of most varieties.

I have 4 varieties; I have a curly spider plant (with a white line down the little), two with the white on the outside of the leaf, a pure green one and a normal one with a white line down the middle; all of mine are the longer leaf ones; I prefer them to the shorter leaf ones; I like them to grow big, I think the other ones look little and fat hehe.

I have 3 on my desk at work and 2 at home; the guy I sit next to has one of the many green ones I obtained on his desk right next to mine; someone else has one of the green ones as well; our office cleaner got a green one and a one with stripes on the end as well; my neighbour had 2 soild green ones.

I got the many solid green ones from Spain; this year is the first time I've seen them in garden centres here (but they were only the short leaf ones).
trinawitch
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6999583

hello, my names Katrina. New to DG and some gardening taks..but I've never cut the runners on my spider plants. I just pinch off the babies and put them in water, and the runners just kept reproducing. However i didn't know i could plant them outdoors until this spring...I had so many babies I ran out of pots so I stuck them down in my flower garden, I thought for sure they would die, but to my suprise not only did they live they thrived! they are all now 5 times as large as the mother plant and having tons of babies! I have so many I can't give them away anymore! these are all solid green and very stout...who new they liked blood meal & bone meal!!! and they looked very neat with all the roses and huchera
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7009472

Trinawitch, do you have to dig them up and bring them in this winter, or are you treating them as annuals? I really would love to put some of mine in the ground, but they are so gorgeous now that I can't bear the thought of them freezing this winter.

I normally cut off the runner, leave an inch or two on the stem and bury it when I put the babies in dirt. So far, it's working. These plants really root like crazy, don't they?

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

September 1, 2009
8:52 AM

Post #7011883

I put two in the garden last year (zone 7 to 8); they out-grew the house and they died off last winter (although we had an exceptionally cold winter). The first sign of frost and they were gone.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7012483

I brought all mine in yesterday cause they are forecasting the 40's - in Missouri in August? Amazing. Thought I'd put them by the windows and see how they adjust to filtered light while I can still have the doors open for fresh air. The buggers multiplied so much that I'm still looking for friends to take some!!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7023926

IS there somewhere you can order any of these spiderplant varities. I have 2. one green and one varigated. Like you i love these plants.
Vickie
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

September 4, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7024942

you could always try the plant exchange on here; or there are places like e-bay.

Our garden centres here don't sell many; I've just found it's pot luck if you find one in them or not.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7029016

cando1: Glasshouse Works sells different Chlorophytum (Spider Plants). Scroll down almost to the bottom of this page for their listings: http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-c.html

I've never personally bought anything from this company so have no experience with their plants but, if you scroll down this page, you can read feedback from other customers in the Garden Watchdog section of DG: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/154/
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7029277

Thanks dipsydoodle and plantlady,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America