Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hostas: Help! Chipmunks eating my hosta roots

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6986810

I went out today to weed my biggest hosta bed. I pulled on a dead spike of Sea Fire and the whole plant came out in my hand. After checking around, I found a chipmunk tunnel that started about a foot from the plant base. Another hosta and a heuchera are also toast. I may be able to save a small part of Sea Fire, but it looks like Blue Wedgewood is too far gone. And I just got it from the spring swap. I am so angry at those little buggers. I set out a hav-a-hart trap, but who knows if they'll fall for it. There are other tunnels in the bed, but so far the hosta they are near are still rooted. I put some hardware cloth on the ground around them, but I don't have enough for the whole bed. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Thanks. Becky
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6986835

I have lost a couple of mine I just got off the hosta auction too and am very upset as well. Doubt I can put hardware cloth around mine either, when there are just too many. My cat usually gets the voles, but guess she can't get them all. Wonder if moth balls do anything.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6986926

I was told by someone can't remember who that if you plant daphs around your hosta the rodents will leave them alone, I have several daphs where I find chipmunk tunnels all over this hill by my house where I planted So Sweet and Cascades and haven't had any problem with them I also have some of those old large hostas there that grow like gang busters and put new babies out all of the time here pretty soon I'm getting ready to place my SS and C in another area I'm curious to see if any of the roots have been damaged it may be fall before I do this though.

A good friend on here is who gave me the daph bulbs but I'm not sure if she is the one that told me about the daphs and chipmunks.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 25, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6987603

Possibly planting them in dug-in large pots would do the trick? Or the "spin-out" bags (never used them, but have heard a lot of good stuff about them). The chipmunks get enough in seeds & nuts & other stuff here, so they have left my hostas alone so far.
AlwaysWeeding

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6987754

You most likely have voles. You can set mouse/rat traps to trap them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America