Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1violetheart
Lawrenceville, GA

August 25, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6988010

Sorry to waltz in here and dump a lot of questions on everybody. I usually live in the daylily and iris forums. Anyhoo, I just recieved two plumeria cuttings today in an unexpected trade. Both cuttings look healthy to me. (not that I know anything about Plumeria, but compared to Brugmansia cutitngs, they look fine)They have nice green top growth with leaves beggining to unfurl. The cutting bottoms are calused over and the stems are not soft in any way. I read the sticky about rooting them, but still have questions. Should I recut the bottoms prior to adding the rootone? This is what I would do to a Brug or rose cutting. But, I read somewhere that one guy likes to let the bottoms calus over before he roots them. I have perilite, good potting soil, rootone, and a nice big pot. I do not have pea pebbles, but do have fish tank rocks (those neon small pebbles, which are clean, non-used) Anyway, should I use those on top? Or, just use the perilite mix with soil and wait to put the pebbles unitl I can go get some. It will be at least a week before I will have time to get any pebbles. Thanks for listening to my Plumeria emergency. I would appreciate any feed back or advice.
Thanks,
Char
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6988037

Do not recut and use soil with perlite mixed in so it drains well, put in a warm spot and don't water them until you see real leaves.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 25, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6988041

Hi Char,

Don't recut -- calloused is good. Dip it in rooting hormone and plant.

Big pot -- a no-no. Try a one-gallon nursery plastic pot.

Pea pebbles are bad -- forget them. No rocks on top or bottom -- it's a myth that they are good for drainage. They are actually bad for drainage.

Here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/45/
1violetheart
Lawrenceville, GA

August 26, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6988349

Thanks, both of you! I will go ahead and use the perilite with potting soil WITHOUT pebbles in a gallon size pot. I have rootone, so I will use that too. It is still very warm here, so I think the timing will be OK.
Thanks,
Char

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America