Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Patriot with Yellow

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Over the weekend, I saw this stunning, unique Patriot…. At first I thought to myself, “I already have 3 Patriots [and gave another one away…. ] so what do I need another one for….. well, this one has Yellow in it…. So for $3 I figured what the heck.

When I was at Foxfire yesterday, I asked Linda if it was common – she said something to the effect that it does happen, but just to “watch the plant”, which is what I was planning on doing. Hopefully it will have a better outcome than my “White Eye” which withered away [though I’ll look for it again next year]

I just think it’s the prettiest thing…. Anyone else even see one?

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

another........

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

and another.....

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

Very nice find Terese! I would be watching it too! I feel the yellow is streaking and hope it continues for you.

I found this 'Minuteman' with simular yellow streaking this summer that I will be growing seeds from with hopes it passes the color and streaking on to it's offspring. It now has 3 eyes that all have the yellow streaking. ;)

Jeff

Thumbnail by allnitro
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Those are nice. I am always looking for the odd plants. Mean that in a beautiful way. BEV

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Jeff and BEV... it's in the ground, and i will be watching it

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here is that same Hosta... it's not unfurled yet... but there is definitely yellow in there.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

OH!!! Terese & Jeff that is great. Here is one of my seedlings that is three yrs old. Unknown parentage. What do you think??? BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH.. thats a pretty one BEV... nice and yellow.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks. It has thin leaves but I like it. Hope the slugs don't like it. We shall see. BEV

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

This message was edited May 30, 2010 11:50 AM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the latest shot....
that one leaf looks pretty white. I hope it darkens up so i dont lose it.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

It certainly is a looker!

Sandy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Sandy... and I'll keep updating as teh season progresses.
I originally purchased it at the end of the season... i think Labor Day weekend.
So, it should be darkening up ... but it's also not in a very sunny location, especially since the trees have not filled in yet.

but -- should be interesting.... wonder if the seeds would be viable.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry, Plant files says it does not set seed. BEV
Smack me with a wet noodle Terese.!!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

so -- then any 'babies' / off springs from Patriot would be 'mutations' where it is different from the mother plant and you divide off that eye?

sorry -- i don't know all the 'terms' yet.

in the 'database' it has "progeny" -- that would be all the 'off springs' right?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

All of Patriots progeny are sports like yours. One of them is Fire& Ice and several more so if yours does good you can cut it out and register it as anything you want. It will be a new plant. BEV

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ya... yes, "sports". i really need to start taking notes.

thanks BEV.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You are welcome!! Glad I could help. Look on Hosta library and see all his progeny. BEV

Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

It will set seed........................good luck!

Jeff

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Jeff. I will let it flower, then save seeds.

BEV -- I did check it out. Nice 'family'.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry, Someone needs to advise plant files of the mistake, Glad it does because I have one too. BEV
Way up in the middle. He is little yet.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

We need to keep in mind............. 'Patriot' does not have any yellow in it so that being said this plant is no longer 'Patriot' but a sport from it...........a new plant. So it may have different rules it wants to live by and Terese will be the one to let us know what it does.

I do know of a few others that have plants simular to this one but not from 'Patriot' directly. I have a 'Minuteman' and a 'Karin' with very simular yellow streaking. The 'Minuteman' flowered for me last year but I got only dark green seedlings. I will try it again this year if it comes back with the yellow streaking...it is just starting to open up so I don't know yet what it looks like. The 'Karin' makes great streaked babies and I have got streaked babies from so of them too.

One can never say never when it comes to hosta setting seed or not just a few are alot more picky about doing it.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have seven Karins. I will watch them close. Thanks BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>so that being said this plant is no longer 'Patriot' but a sport from it...a new plant.

Thanks for that reminder Jeff. And it does look like the yellow held out.... not sure what to call it though.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

What about "Mint Julip" "Mint IceCream" "Green Feathers" or "Green Sleeves"??? BEV
ope you don't mind suggestions.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks BEV... interesting. guess i dont have a 'creative' mind. Maybe something will just jump out at me one day. I think i also would have to see it fully open - and mid-season when the colors have changed again. Hope it's a fast grower.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Terese - I've been trying to keep up and just now looked at your picture above. Here's hoping that it stabilizes and grows. Really nice looking.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

My Patriot looks more like my Karins. I think it was mislabled. I have to get me one. BEV

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Well -- -it's not very original, but i'm thinking Patriot's Flame.

there isn't one by that name yet... there is a Patriot's Fire, which to me, looks nothing like a Patriot....

but this one .... when you look at the yellow, the streaking looks like flames.... at least to me it does.

i'll add new photos soon.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Or "Flaming Patriot"

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oooooooo, BEV.. .that's a good one too. Thanks.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

U R Welcome!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

here's a new shot from today

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

another

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Waterloo, IA(Zone 4b)

I like it Terese!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Isn't it just the prettiest?? Flaming Patriot really fits i think,

best 3 bucks i have ever spent on a plant.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You are a lucky duck!!!!!!! Beautiful. BEV

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looks great!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Lovely! Bet you smile every time you see it.

Sandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.