Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Allium schubertii

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6991635

I have some I saved from last fall in the fridge. Does anyone have any experience with growing allium from seed? I don't need anymore schubertii--my bulbs are doing fine but I don't want to offer the seed to anyone without letting them know if they are slow or difficult to start from seed.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7021132

Allium seeds take usual 3 years until they bloom. The seeds must be fresh (not older than a year). I was succesful winter sowing different kind of alliums. After germination they will slowly grow a few months and than it looks like they die. But it's just the part above the ground, the bulb stays alive. Just wait for next spring. I keep them in pots the first 2 summers and plant them out in the garden in autumn.
If you have fresh seeds of the Allium schubertii, I would like to trade with you. Please have a look at my have list to see if there is something interesting for you on it.
Jonna

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7022113

Thanks for the information Jonna:) My seeds are about a month away from being 1 yr old. They've been kept in my fridge the entire time. I didn't bother to save any from this years flowerheads since I hadn't done anything with last years seeds. I'm not needing anything as far as seeds go--always have too much anyhow:) If you would like to try them anyway--I'd be more than happy to send them to you. I'd just be tossing them out anyway since I'm a not really set up to take care of seedlings (apt gardening). Dmail me if you would like to give them a shot even at their advanced age:lol:

Donna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America