Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Saving Seeds: Allium schubertii

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6991635

I have some I saved from last fall in the fridge. Does anyone have any experience with growing allium from seed? I don't need anymore schubertii--my bulbs are doing fine but I don't want to offer the seed to anyone without letting them know if they are slow or difficult to start from seed.
JonnaSudenius
Büllingen
Belgium
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7021132

Allium seeds take usual 3 years until they bloom. The seeds must be fresh (not older than a year). I was succesful winter sowing different kind of alliums. After germination they will slowly grow a few months and than it looks like they die. But it's just the part above the ground, the bulb stays alive. Just wait for next spring. I keep them in pots the first 2 summers and plant them out in the garden in autumn.
If you have fresh seeds of the Allium schubertii, I would like to trade with you. Please have a look at my have list to see if there is something interesting for you on it.
Jonna

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7022113

Thanks for the information Jonna:) My seeds are about a month away from being 1 yr old. They've been kept in my fridge the entire time. I didn't bother to save any from this years flowerheads since I hadn't done anything with last years seeds. I'm not needing anything as far as seeds go--always have too much anyhow:) If you would like to try them anyway--I'd be more than happy to send them to you. I'd just be tossing them out anyway since I'm a not really set up to take care of seedlings (apt gardening). Dmail me if you would like to give them a shot even at their advanced age:lol:

Donna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America