Photo by Melody

Saving Seeds: Does anyone have a photo of ageratum seeds? What to save?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 11, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6995467

Is everything I save from dried blooms the seeds? I am not sure if I need to sort through them. If so, which ones are the seeds?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7021211

Ageratum seeds are very small and can hardly be seperated from the chaff. The seed is under the chaff, but to get viable seeds, you must wait until the pods are dried well. If you check them every day, you might be able to remove a lot (but not all) of the chaff. Just collect the seeds together with the chaff.

Jonna

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #7021235

I have those things volunteer every year. I put them all summer long. I may have to go check for seed and put them in better places than where they chose.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7021242

Jonna -- Hi there! Haven't seen you in a while.

Let's say you want to give them away. Do you just give the chaff with the seeds? Or is there a way to separate them?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 11:18 AM
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #7021246

I do agree. They do go everywhere. I have some tiny ones in the crack of my concrete patio. My problem is that I can't identify many flowers from weeds when they are just coming up. Ageratums are unique and easy to identify but the others are difficult to ID.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7021249

I reaaly have tried collecting them, but May go out in a bit with a plain envelope and see wht goes on. Been getting a little rain and is finally clearing up, so I'll give it a try and let you know what happens. How about that? Got to start making labels for the seed swap too. Too early for some seeds but I am watching. Are you?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7021264

Well, I've been busy in the garden the last months. I grew a lot of new species. And now I'm busy gathering seeds.
About the Ageratum, just give them away with the chaff, I even sell them with the chaff, because I still didn't find out how to seperate them properly. Ageratum is just setting seed here, I'm going to try it again and if I'm lucky, I'll let you know.
Jonna
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7021268

In my zone they never self sow. I always must start them indoors.
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7021282

Red -- If I grow it, I am compelled to collect the seeds. I have pretty ordinary flowers, but I am a good seed collector and saver. I just keep my seeds in those amber plastic perscription bottles, labeled, in a cookie tin, and in the fridge.

I haven't gotten any tiny ziplocs jet for swaping. But I don't think there will be much a request for the type of seeds I have. I gave hundreds of seed packages away in the spring locally just wrapped in computer paper.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 11:32 AM
venice62
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7021294

Jonna -- You are just in 6b and I am in 5b. Is it wetter there?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7021306

It might be wetter here, especially in spring. Every spring it takes weeks before the ground is workable here after the snow melted. I never had a volunteer of Ageratum, although I grow them a lot. Sowing them indoors is always very succesful for me.
ansonfan
Polkton, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9338407

I know this is an old post, but I happened on it on 11/12 so I know others will also. There is a good picture of Ageratum seeds on GardenWeb. I don't know if I am allowed to put that link on this site, but you can get there easily, just google saving seeds of ageratum and the link will be in the list. You can even print the pic out. Hope it helps someone.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America