Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

My car Needs a new transmisson

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have a 97 Ford Taurus...my DH was driving it this morning, and all of a sudden, there was no power. What do we need to know?

Missouri City, TX

Sadly, you;re a week late for the "cash for clunkers" program..

I imagine it's an automatic, so check the fluid first. Look for leaks - broken gasket - radiator leak - or hole in the line from the tranny to the radiator. Might just need more fluid to get it moving, then have it serviced. May cost a few hundred to get it rebuilt, but no more than a month or two of payments on a new car of the same size.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

The car has never been a problem and it is a 97 Taurus...it has always gotten good mileage...Dh says he was on the freeway going about 70mph and all of a sudden the car made a noise and there was no power...he managed to coast off the freeway..he says he had just had the transmission serviced last week...and he thought, now, that may, have been the wrong thing to do...He can be superstitious at times.
It is being replaced...the transmission and it is going to cost over 2K...since the car was given to me, free and clear...it isn't as if we have a lot invested in it. if the new transmission means we won't have to buy a new car for a couple of years...it will be worth it.
Not sure if it would have qualified as a clunker any way....mileage has always been in the 20's

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

I'd check with your kids, friends, family or whoever.
$2,000 or more is really high. Maybe in Texas that is the norm but I think it is way too high. Is this for a used, rebuilt or a factory new one. Don't let them charge you for a factory new then put in a clean rebuilt one.

First have a trusted mechanic diagnose the problem before you sink that kind of money into a 97. Taurus.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Not sure if the price is high...but it has been done, we pick the car up tomorrow...my husband knows the details on whether it is new or not...

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

does it start and run?

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

From his description the car was running when the transmission stopped working...it made a grinding noise, and there was nothing..the motor stayed on, but there was nothing to make it go forward or backwards

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

how fat is your wallet,,,,,,,man auto trans work is expensive.if you are in for a rebuild,it may cost 1600,but it will last 8-10 years.been in thesame predicament twice,great outcomes...............choice is yours

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.