AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 27, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6995787

Am hoping someone can give me an answer, or suggestion as to how to PREVENT a pie crust from shrinking.

I make my own crusts EXCEPT when I am making a pie that requires a PRE cooked crust .. I usually then buy one , but don't want to.
Problem is .. when I line the pie plate with the UNCOOKED pie crust .. pop it in the oven to cook it .. usually 350 for 10 to 15 minutes .. when I take it out it has SHRUNK up and no longer fits the pie plate :-(
I sorta remember my Mom doing ?something? to prevent this shrinkage .. but am darned if I can remember what it was!

Hope someone has an answer :o)

~M~
norwich369
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6995802

Marilynne: there are several things you can do. First, make sure you give the dough time to relax between each step of shaping (just 5 minutes should do the trick). Second, chill the dough after it's in the pan. Third, hold the dough in place by filling the pie pan with hard beans, or a slightly smaller pan (I sometimes use a disposable aluminum pan), put a metal chain in the pan -- you get the idea - - you want to hold the dough in place until it hardens some. Then you can remove whatever is holding it up and let the dough brown at the end.

Best wishes

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2009
10:47 AM

Post #6996939

BEANS !!!!!!!!!! That's what I think my Mom used ^_^
Flashback time ...

Thanks SO much norwich .. will give it a whirl this weekend :-)

Marilynne
Texasroses
Marlin, TX

August 28, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6997769

Marilynne,
I turn the pie plate upside down on a cookie sheet, put the pie crust over it, make a few perforations in the raw crust, and bake. When the pie crust comes out, it fits inside the pie plate. I never seem to have beans on hand to hold the crust down the conventional way! Perhaps if I planned ahead more I'd be a better baker . . .

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6998341

Seems that might work as well .. thanks for the suggestion ..

I was sitting here thinking .. I guess you'd put the beans ON something .. like an aluminium pie plate on top the baking crust .. i'm not sure as to how many beans I'd need .. and are navy beans the best ..
LoL .. gosh .. this is starting to sound like rocket science ^_^

~M~
Texasroses
Marlin, TX

August 28, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6999003

If you use the beans, don't put them in an aluminum pie plate or a glass one or any other type of solid covering--you'll end up with a soggy crust. Just perforate the crust on bottom and around the sides, put the beans or chain in, and bake. I prefer to use lima beans since I don't want to eat them, and this is an alternate use for them! As to how many you need, just enough to cover the bottom of the pie crust. I think 78 is a good number . . .

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6999422

I'm liking '78 Lima Beans' :-)
Shew .. sounds kinda like a SONG in the making ^_^

Thanks again

~M~
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7002080

DH bought me a jar of ceramic pie weights that work really well:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku3802568/index.cfm?pkey=cctlpstacc

I think he was worried that the "baked" beans would go to waste. LOL!

I like the idea of baking the crust on the outside of the pie pan. I'll have to try that sometime.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7002688

WHOA .. what a GREAT gift !!!
I wonder if I might find some in a "Kitchen Store" .. or some other kind of specialty store that sells mostly cookery stuff?
Gonna have to look in the coming week as I was gifted today with 6 litres of fresh wild blueberries (that's a lot) .. I have baked a 2 crust pie and frozen a 2 crust pie .. BUT .. have been asked to make an open faced pie .. that requires a pre made crust .. filled with filling made on the stove top ..
Gonna give it my best shot ^_^

~M~
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #7003431

Before I had the ceramic pie weights, I used whatever large beans I had on hand. I prick the pie crust with a fork, place a sheet of parchment inside and cover the parchment with dry beans to hold the crust down. You need to remove the beans and parchment as soon as you take the crust out of the oven. I do think the ceramic weights work better as the crust would sometimes puff up under the beans.

You can send some of those blueberries down my way if you like. :)
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

August 30, 2009
8:40 AM

Post #7003816

Here is the recipe for good shortcrust pastry
7 oz of good Plain white flour sifted (sieved).
Pinch of salt
3 and a half ounces of chilled butter, cut into cubes.
A half to one medium egg beaten.

Method.
You can do this in a food processor if you have the the technology use it!
In a food processor, add the ingredients but not the egg, give it a brief whiz. Then add half the egg and continue to whizz,
You may have to add a little more egg but not too much. The moisture should be just enough to make the pastry come together.
If doing it by hand, then add the ingredients but not the egg. Rub the mixture with your fingers until it becomes like breadcrumbs, then add some of the egg, and with your hands, mix until it comes together. You may have to add a little more egg, but again not too much!
Then when the pastry is formed (both methods), place it on a layer of cling film, then place another layer over the top, if you have no cling film a plastic bag will do.
Then you simply roll it put into a three quarters of an inch disc shape, don't worry too much at this stage, as for the shape.
Then put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, ideally longer. The colder pastry gets the better it is and it makes it a whole lot easier to work with!
If you are pushed for time you can put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
Then you do not need any flour on the board as it is in plastic, you get it out of the fridge and roll it out to the size and a bit more for your needs.
About quarter of an inch is ideal, or thinner for an ideal tart!
Remove the top layer of cling film, put your rolling pin on the near edge and lift it up around the pin, you should be able to roll it very lightly and it will not stick together! Then holding it over the far edge of your pie dish put the pastry on it and come backwards with the rolling pin!
Should go on perfectly, crimp the edges and push in well with your fingers and remove the excess pastry
Easy and mess free perfect pastry and is great for fruit pies and Tarts as well!
If you are worried about shrinkage leave a bit more of the pastry on the edge.
If you are going to blind bake it, as we call it, then I add greaseproof or oven proof paper and pack it with rice, as rice is dry and when it is cooked is tasteless! So it does not harm your pastry, unlike some beans!
Hope this is of some help.
Regards from London.
Neil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America