Photo by Melody

Saving Seeds: Has anyone seen astilbe seed?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 6, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6999093

Does anyone have a photo of astilbe seed or know what it looks like? I really can't tell among the teeny stuff that came off the stalk.
Thanks.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7021281

Sharon, the Astilbe is setting seed now, but I think they are not ripe yet. Last year I hade the same problem, couldn't find the seeds. If I can find the seeds this year, I'll let you know, but it might take some time.
Jonna

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #7022056

Hi Jonna. Thanks for trying to come to my rescue again! I did find a bit of a thread on gardenweb where someone said they just planted all of the dried stuff that they got, and had success. Could be that the seeds are so tiny that it might not be worth trying to find and seperate them.
ptilda
Spooner, WI

September 4, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7023562

I have Goatsbeard seed-heads that I pulled off (it's in the same family,right), and couldn't find the seeds, so I "rolled" one of the pods in my finders and several tiny black specks came out. Same thing out of several different pods. I'm thinking these are the seeds. I'm going to try germinating those AND try the whole pod, to see what works. Hope that helps.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7023818

ptilda, what is a finder?
ptilda
Spooner, WI

September 4, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7023997

Sorry. Long day. I meant "fingers".
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #7024768

And to think I was hoping to learn about some seed-sorting tool that I was unaware of - a seed finder! Gee, wish someone would invent it. Thanks for the info ptilda. I just tried that with the dried flower heads - I don't think I'd call them pods and found a few flat tear-shaped bits and a few the same shape except for points on both ends. It's not clear that these are the seeds, but they could be. What do your seeds look like?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America