Photo by Melody

Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods: Beautiful fall color

Communities > Forums > Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the GodsReplies: 4, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6999174

The red is the fuyu persimmon, the yellow a wisteria.

Now if I can just keep the squirrels away from them I can enjoy them in my breakfast cereal!

Thumbnail by doss
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7004189

Doss: I like your photo you posted; those leaf colors are Beautiful together! (Since I live in S.TX., we don't get many Fall leaf changes!) I also wanted to know what that green tree or shrub is, showing a weeping-type branch at the bottom-center of your picture?? Whatever it is, I like it!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7005229

It's a small atlas blue cedar. They can get quite large though. It is a beautiful plant.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7005510

Doss: Thanks for the name of the tree. I love it--- first, because I like 'weeping'-type shrubs & trees; second, because I like the blue-green color; and lastly, because I like conifers, even tho I don't have any! Most of the ones I like are Northern-types where it gets cold. I looked this particular cedar up in DG's plant search, & it states it is hardy in zones 6a- 8b; yet I see you live in zone 9b. Maybe you have cool nights? We are in zone 9a or b, depending on how close to the coast we live; in the Summer, it's Hot in the day, & still warm at night. In the winter, if it does freeze, it's usually only for a few hours. I wonder if this plant would get too hot here; I can't stand pines or cedars when they get brown needles. How is the weather where you live?
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7005992

We live in a very temperate zone where it stays in the low 80's most of the summer and does cool down at night. I don't know how one of these would do in your area. Your best bet is probably going to a good local nursery and ask them.

I find that DG's upper limits are sometimes wrong. Monrovia nursery says that it is hardy in zone 6-9
http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?id=1043
and I would assume that is correct. We have one in our neighborhood that is at least 50 years old and is about 40 feet wide. There is a photo of it in the DG plantfiles. They can be kept smaller with pruning.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great stuff! Candyce 14 Jan 7, 2008 10:24 AM
Persimmon trees in Arizona sycamoreshirl 2 Aug 31, 2009 6:27 PM
interested in buying persimmon plants/se batuksinh 3 Sep 1, 2009 1:34 AM
Thanks jjacques 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:53 AM
Fuyu delicious, and rel. pest free too!! zonkel 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America