Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods: Beautiful fall color

Communities > Forums > Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the GodsReplies: 4, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6999174

The red is the fuyu persimmon, the yellow a wisteria.

Now if I can just keep the squirrels away from them I can enjoy them in my breakfast cereal!

Thumbnail by doss
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7004189

Doss: I like your photo you posted; those leaf colors are Beautiful together! (Since I live in S.TX., we don't get many Fall leaf changes!) I also wanted to know what that green tree or shrub is, showing a weeping-type branch at the bottom-center of your picture?? Whatever it is, I like it!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7005229

It's a small atlas blue cedar. They can get quite large though. It is a beautiful plant.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7005510

Doss: Thanks for the name of the tree. I love it--- first, because I like 'weeping'-type shrubs & trees; second, because I like the blue-green color; and lastly, because I like conifers, even tho I don't have any! Most of the ones I like are Northern-types where it gets cold. I looked this particular cedar up in DG's plant search, & it states it is hardy in zones 6a- 8b; yet I see you live in zone 9b. Maybe you have cool nights? We are in zone 9a or b, depending on how close to the coast we live; in the Summer, it's Hot in the day, & still warm at night. In the winter, if it does freeze, it's usually only for a few hours. I wonder if this plant would get too hot here; I can't stand pines or cedars when they get brown needles. How is the weather where you live?
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7005992

We live in a very temperate zone where it stays in the low 80's most of the summer and does cool down at night. I don't know how one of these would do in your area. Your best bet is probably going to a good local nursery and ask them.

I find that DG's upper limits are sometimes wrong. Monrovia nursery says that it is hardy in zone 6-9
http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?id=1043
and I would assume that is correct. We have one in our neighborhood that is at least 50 years old and is about 40 feet wide. There is a photo of it in the DG plantfiles. They can be kept smaller with pruning.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great stuff! Candyce 14 Jan 7, 2008 10:24 AM
Persimmon trees in Arizona sycamoreshirl 2 Aug 31, 2009 6:27 PM
interested in buying persimmon plants/se batuksinh 3 Sep 1, 2009 1:34 AM
Thanks jjacques 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:53 AM
Fuyu delicious, and rel. pest free too!! zonkel 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America