KitchenAid Stand mixer

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

DH purchased me a Professional 600 KitchenAid and it arrived yesterday, while reading the instruction booklet I noticed it made mention of the fact that beating times should be shortened due to the fact that KitchenAid brand stand mixers beat at a higher revolution rate than other stand mixers. My question is this....Since most of my pastry/banking recipes are from professional chefs and are written with the assumption that one will be using a stand mixer do you think this would still be the case? After all I know very few that don't either use a KitchenAid, Viking or Cuisinart and all of these are high speed stand mixers.

For most recipes I could wing it by sight but my cheesecake is a bit of a diva and likes her long mix times.

Thumbnail by araness
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have never had a problem with over mixing, I go by sight also, never go by the time. I just keep a close eye on egg whites.
I have whipped up "from scratch" cheese cake and had no problem.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll probably be find with your usual times. To test this, you could mix up a batch of whipped cream. Keep an eye on it and see if it whips up firmly in shorter time or not. If you overwhip, keep going until you've got butter.

Middle River, MD

I only overmixed in the beginning because I was used to a sunbeam mixmaster from the 60's that my grandmom gave me. i guess it depends upon what your last machine was. it's a learning curve like anything else.
I do it by eye and ear now, using the times as a guideline only.
My mom's is slightly different than mine which is different from the one at her cabin. I think each mixer has it's own personality and you just have to get to know it.

I think the whipped cream test would probably be the best to determine differences.

Enjoy your new mixer. I saved up for a year to get mine and it was worth every penny.
I nicknamed her *the mangler*

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I just bought one!!! Can't wait to get it. DH will be so happy with homemade cookies!!! Amazon had the best price!!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Don't forget the rebate, that's another $40.00 off!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Isn't that wonderful!!!! Bought it NEW for less than KitchenAid sells the refurbished ones!!!! - gotta figure in shipping. They will only ship for 40$!!!!!

Carol

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Do they charge shipping for HI? Ours was free since it was over $25.00.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Nope...even got free shipping....but their Parcel Post takes 6 weeks to get here not 6 days...hahaha.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

You all will love you new mixer, I have had mine since 1982, best investment I ever made.
If you do your own grinding the grinding attachment is a must have. I use it at Christmas time to make my nut filling for breads and grind nuts for Mexican tea cakes. Makes the job easy!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Love my KA mixer, and would suggest you look into getting one of the new 'Beater Blades' that have come out. There are different kinds now, so pick the one that fits your mixer. They do an incredible job when creaming butter and sugar for baking. Have lots of fun with your new toy!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1_14?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=kitchenaid+beater+blade&sprefix=kitchenaid+bea&sprefix=kitchenaid+bea

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

oh this would be great for my cheesecakes & buttercream icing...lol the DH is going to divorce me if I keep up this spending spree...

Middle River, MD

the money you save by being able to make things at home is a good argument to get one. I bake most of our baked goods from scratch now. I don't hear dh complaining when he's sinking his teeth into a freshly made brownie, muffin or bread. :D

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I haven't started on the bread yet as I've been busy baking cakes...word got out at DH work and I sell 3 or 4 a week, I don't make much per cake if I figure in my time I probably go in the hole but I'm having a blast and it's nice to know that people really enjoy made from scratch cakes & pies.

Please pass along any recipes, I can't wait to try new things. I purchased several books that have tons of great cakes etc in them but since we don't eat those types of things I can only make them to send to work.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Here was my cake for today, a red velvet. I have two carrot cakes to do and deliver Thursday and then I hope to have a few days off to scrape the icing off my kitchen ceiling and restore order.

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

My cheesecake from last week (ignore the hatchet job I did in photoshop)

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

another from last week

Thumbnail by araness
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

another...

Thumbnail by araness
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

WOW....I am impressed! And probably another 5lbs fatter just looking at them!!! Good job!

Eaton, IN

What beauties!!! You sure know how to put your Kitchenaid to work. I want to see pictures of the Carrot Cake. My favorite.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, beautiful cakes!

Thanks for the info on Beater blades. I've gone through two of the standard ones because the coating keeps coming off. They need to do something about that.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Anything to 'keep 'em coming back for more!!!!!"

Yah. BOO for that kind of stuff.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Done with one of the carrot cakes, the other is hardening a bit from the crumb coating I have to use as the guy I make them for ask they not be frozen. grated enough carrots that I made the DH one to take to the hoard at work..

P.S. it's not leaning I'm just a horrible photographer!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 1:20 PM

Thumbnail by araness
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

IT CAME!!! Someone must have gotten the wrong message because the FREE shipping was Priority Mail...WHOOOOA- must have cost a fortune!!! Anyway, it's here and I am reading instructions tomorrow with the machine in front of me. BUT - I can't find the rebate!!! OH well, it was a GREAT price.

Can't wait to make Bob's cookies, now...with ONE bowl to wash!

Carol

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Here's the rebate...

And yep, mine came FedEx...I was thrilled!

http://www.kitchenaid.com/assets/pdfs/other/KitchenAid_5_and_6_Quart_Mixer_Offer_071209-092609.pdf

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks so much! It looks so competent and capable on the counter!!!

Middle River, MD

My sister just got one too!
I'm doing the happy mixer dance for all of you!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Araness...printed it out...thanks!!!

Eaton, IN

Araness, your cakes are beautiful. That carrot cake cakes looks yummy.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

thanks, it was my first time using gumpaste and well...lol do hope I get better. Everyone raved over the carrot cake and it was the easiest of all my cakes to make. I kept it simple and didn't add the ginger that I like in mine but still thought it tasted pretty good...but then what wouldn't with cream cheese icing???

Eaton, IN

Easiest or not I'd be more than happy to sample one if we could get it to Indiana. If it tastes half as good as it looks I would be in heaven.

Donna

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Have I mentioned I love love love making cheesecakes with my new mixer? Sooo much easier!

Thumbnail by araness

oh my!!! I love this picture because of the stack of cream cheese in the background. Take the juice out and it's a nice commercial for them!

Smyrna, DE(Zone 7a)

I got my mixer last Thanksgiving. I found it on sale and my sister bought it for me. She has used one forEVER and is on her second one (the first one found a new home). I did my Christmas cookie dough with it.. and let me tell you.... it was the easiest and least strenuous thing in the world! No more breaking my back (or wrist) from stirring in flour and chocolate chips or M&M's. I love my mixer. I can't believe that I went so long without one. Never will go back to a hand held for big baking, that's for sure!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Mine has been making cookie dough for 30 years. Last year my DD borrowed to make her dough. Called me in tears cause she broke the mixer. Part to fix lift was all of $3 plus $5.95 S&H. Not sure I even know of another small kitchen appliance you can actually order parts for. I use it more now that I have a commercial kitchen than I did when it was new. The attachments all work great. I use it to seed and peel grapes and tomatoes, grind sausage, grate cheese, slice potatoes and cucumbers and peppers, shred cabbage but it doesn't do dishes ;>(

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Curious!!! Do you just put the grapes in a 'whizz' them with the beaters to pulpthem?

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

NO it is an attachment. They offer a couple of sets of assesories like http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchenaid_mixer_attachment_pack_FPPA.html This is just an example. Lots of online companies offer them. The fruit and vegetable strainer has a spiral. Juice and pulp fall into bowl toward the back. Seeds and skins come out the front. Just that slick! The picture in the center is the strainer. I like all three attachments. They also come apart and are easy to clean up.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

May I bump this thread to ask a different question?

Hubby is warming up to the idea of a KitchenAid, but the task
of figuring out which one, is the difficulty.

It seems we are looking at 4.5 and 5 quart sizes. I have to ask,
what is the big difference in half a quart size?

Is the splatter shield worth the bother? Is the mixer that messy?
(Guess that depends on what you are mixing, though, LOL)

Also, we are puzzled about 'to lift' or 'not to lift'. Is the lift designed
more for heavy duty mixing such as breads and doughs, so as not to
make the mixer wobbly? It seems the one without a lift is better for
lighter mixes and such, yes?

We will hopefully be making much bread and pizza dough, acquiring a
grinder attachment and maybe, just maybe a pasta roller in the future.

Presently looking at these two:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KSM500SM/

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KV25G0XOB/

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

:-) Karen Marie

P.S. Yes, I have done a lot of homework, but I'm hoping some of
you have first hand experience.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 8:22 AM

Eaton, IN

WUVIE, I had the 5 quart Artisan but now have the 6 quart pro. There does seem to be a difference in what they can handle, at least for me. I don't know if this helps or not since you were asking about the 4.5 and 5 but I guess I would go with the best that you can afford. By the way I would not want to go without my KA. So much that I actually bought the 10 year extended warranty which is something I almost never do.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images