-
AuthorContent
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #7000745

DH purchased me a Professional 600 KitchenAid and it arrived yesterday, while reading the instruction booklet I noticed it made mention of the fact that beating times should be shortened due to the fact that KitchenAid brand stand mixers beat at a higher revolution rate than other stand mixers. My question is this...Since most of my pastry/banking recipes are from professional chefs and are written with the assumption that one will be using a stand mixer do you think this would still be the case? After all I know very few that don't either use a KitchenAid, Viking or Cuisinart and all of these are high speed stand mixers.

For most recipes I could wing it by sight but my cheesecake is a bit of a diva and likes her long mix times.

Thumbnail by araness
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #7000782

I have never had a problem with over mixing, I go by sight also, never go by the time. I just keep a close eye on egg whites.
I have whipped up "from scratch" cheese cake and had no problem.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 29, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7002073

You'll probably be find with your usual times. To test this, you could mix up a batch of whipped cream. Keep an eye on it and see if it whips up firmly in shorter time or not. If you overwhip, keep going until you've got butter.
philsgal
Middle River, MD

September 2, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7016791

I only overmixed in the beginning because I was used to a sunbeam mixmaster from the 60's that my grandmom gave me. i guess it depends upon what your last machine was. it's a learning curve like anything else.
I do it by eye and ear now, using the times as a guideline only.
My mom's is slightly different than mine which is different from the one at her cabin. I think each mixer has it's own personality and you just have to get to know it.

I think the whipped cream test would probably be the best to determine differences.

Enjoy your new mixer. I saved up for a year to get mine and it was worth every penny.
I nicknamed her *the mangler*
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 6, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #7031183

I just bought one!!! Can't wait to get it. DH will be so happy with homemade cookies!!! Amazon had the best price!!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7031663

Don't forget the rebate, that's another $40.00 off!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 6, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7032353

Isn't that wonderful!!!! Bought it NEW for less than KitchenAid sells the refurbished ones!!!! - gotta figure in shipping. They will only ship for 40$!!!!!

Carol
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7034006

Do they charge shipping for HI? Ours was free since it was over $25.00.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 7, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #7035031

Nope...even got free shipping...but their Parcel Post takes 6 weeks to get here not 6 days...hahaha.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #7035343

You all will love you new mixer, I have had mine since 1982, best investment I ever made.
If you do your own grinding the grinding attachment is a must have. I use it at Christmas time to make my nut filling for breads and grind nuts for Mexican tea cakes. Makes the job easy!
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7037122

Love my KA mixer, and would suggest you look into getting one of the new 'Beater Blades' that have come out. There are different kinds now, so pick the one that fits your mixer. They do an incredible job when creaming butter and sugar for baking. Have lots of fun with your new toy!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1_14?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=kitchenaid+beater+blade&sprefix=kitchenaid+bea&sprefix=kitchenaid+bea
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7037462

oh this would be great for my cheesecakes & buttercream icing...lol the DH is going to divorce me if I keep up this spending spree...
philsgal
Middle River, MD

September 8, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #7040451

the money you save by being able to make things at home is a good argument to get one. I bake most of our baked goods from scratch now. I don't hear dh complaining when he's sinking his teeth into a freshly made brownie, muffin or bread. :D
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7041009

I haven't started on the bread yet as I've been busy baking cakes...word got out at DH work and I sell 3 or 4 a week, I don't make much per cake if I figure in my time I probably go in the hole but I'm having a blast and it's nice to know that people really enjoy made from scratch cakes & pies.

Please pass along any recipes, I can't wait to try new things. I purchased several books that have tons of great cakes etc in them but since we don't eat those types of things I can only make them to send to work.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #7041651

Here was my cake for today, a red velvet. I have two carrot cakes to do and deliver Thursday and then I hope to have a few days off to scrape the icing off my kitchen ceiling and restore order.

Thumbnail by araness

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #7041703

My cheesecake from last week (ignore the hatchet job I did in photoshop)

Thumbnail by araness

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #7041708

another from last week

Thumbnail by araness

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7041713

another...

Thumbnail by araness

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 9, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7042303

WOW...I am impressed! And probably another 5lbs fatter just looking at them!!! Good job!
dddal
Eaton, IN

September 9, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #7043470

What beauties!!! You sure know how to put your Kitchenaid to work. I want to see pictures of the Carrot Cake. My favorite.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #7045446

Hey, beautiful cakes!

Thanks for the info on Beater blades. I've gone through two of the standard ones because the coating keeps coming off. They need to do something about that.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 9, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #7045625

Anything to 'keep 'em coming back for more!!!!!"

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7045844

Yah. BOO for that kind of stuff.

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7048118

Done with one of the carrot cakes, the other is hardening a bit from the crumb coating I have to use as the guy I make them for ask they not be frozen. grated enough carrots that I made the DH one to take to the hoard at work..

P.S. it's not leaning I'm just a horrible photographer!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 1:20 PM

Thumbnail by araness

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #7050327

IT CAME!!! Someone must have gotten the wrong message because the FREE shipping was Priority Mail...WHOOOOA- must have cost a fortune!!! Anyway, it's here and I am reading instructions tomorrow with the machine in front of me. BUT - I can't find the rebate!!! OH well, it was a GREAT price.

Can't wait to make Bob's cookies, now...with ONE bowl to wash!

Carol
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #7050604

Here's the rebate...

And yep, mine came FedEx...I was thrilled!

http://www.kitchenaid.com/assets/pdfs/other/KitchenAid_5_and_6_Quart_Mixer_Offer_071209-092609.pdf

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 11, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7051662

Thanks so much! It looks so competent and capable on the counter!!!
philsgal
Middle River, MD

September 11, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7052921

My sister just got one too!
I'm doing the happy mixer dance for all of you!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 12, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #7053156

Araness...printed it out...thanks!!!
dddal
Eaton, IN

September 12, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #7054524

Araness, your cakes are beautiful. That carrot cake cakes looks yummy.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #7054607

thanks, it was my first time using gumpaste and well...lol do hope I get better. Everyone raved over the carrot cake and it was the easiest of all my cakes to make. I kept it simple and didn't add the ginger that I like in mine but still thought it tasted pretty good...but then what wouldn't with cream cheese icing???
dddal
Eaton, IN

September 12, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #7054671

Easiest or not I'd be more than happy to sample one if we could get it to Indiana. If it tastes half as good as it looks I would be in heaven.

Donna
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #7105026

Have I mentioned I love love love making cheesecakes with my new mixer? Sooo much easier!

Thumbnail by araness

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #7105913

oh my!!! I love this picture because of the stack of cream cheese in the background. Take the juice out and it's a nice commercial for them!
gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #7120457

I got my mixer last Thanksgiving. I found it on sale and my sister bought it for me. She has used one forEVER and is on her second one (the first one found a new home). I did my Christmas cookie dough with it.. and let me tell you... it was the easiest and least strenuous thing in the world! No more breaking my back (or wrist) from stirring in flour and chocolate chips or M&M's. I love my mixer. I can't believe that I went so long without one. Never will go back to a hand held for big baking, that's for sure!
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7123319

Mine has been making cookie dough for 30 years. Last year my DD borrowed to make her dough. Called me in tears cause she broke the mixer. Part to fix lift was all of $3 plus $5.95 S&H. Not sure I even know of another small kitchen appliance you can actually order parts for. I use it more now that I have a commercial kitchen than I did when it was new. The attachments all work great. I use it to seed and peel grapes and tomatoes, grind sausage, grate cheese, slice potatoes and cucumbers and peppers, shred cabbage but it doesn't do dishes ;>(
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7123785

Curious!!! Do you just put the grapes in a 'whizz' them with the beaters to pulpthem?
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7125716

NO it is an attachment. They offer a couple of sets of assesories like http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchenaid_mixer_attachment_pack_FPPA.html This is just an example. Lots of online companies offer them. The fruit and vegetable strainer has a spiral. Juice and pulp fall into bowl toward the back. Seeds and skins come out the front. Just that slick! The picture in the center is the strainer. I like all three attachments. They also come apart and are easy to clean up.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #7421584

May I bump this thread to ask a different question?

Hubby is warming up to the idea of a KitchenAid, but the task
of figuring out which one, is the difficulty.

It seems we are looking at 4.5 and 5 quart sizes. I have to ask,
what is the big difference in half a quart size?

Is the splatter shield worth the bother? Is the mixer that messy?
(Guess that depends on what you are mixing, though, LOL)

Also, we are puzzled about 'to lift' or 'not to lift'. Is the lift designed
more for heavy duty mixing such as breads and doughs, so as not to
make the mixer wobbly? It seems the one without a lift is better for
lighter mixes and such, yes?

We will hopefully be making much bread and pizza dough, acquiring a
grinder attachment and maybe, just maybe a pasta roller in the future.

Presently looking at these two:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KSM500SM/

http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KV25G0XOB/

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

:-) Karen Marie

P.S. Yes, I have done a lot of homework, but I'm hoping some of
you have first hand experience.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 8:22 AM
dddal
Eaton, IN

January 3, 2010
2:30 AM

Post #7421599

WUVIE, I had the 5 quart Artisan but now have the 6 quart pro. There does seem to be a difference in what they can handle, at least for me. I don't know if this helps or not since you were asking about the 4.5 and 5 but I guess I would go with the best that you can afford. By the way I would not want to go without my KA. So much that I actually bought the 10 year extended warranty which is something I almost never do.

Donna

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7421622

Karen Marie, I have had a refurbed commercial KA 6-quart for a couple years now, and I absolutely love it. Mine is the style that lifts the bowl to the beater, and it is a solid (and heavy) workhorse.

It makes short work out of bread kneading - even a huge batch of heavy sweet roll dough is a piece of cake for it. And I can make homemade marshmallows and divinity without missing a beat - I dont' know that I'd dare try either of those with a lesser machine. So I guess some of it depends on what you'd use it for. Some smaller cake batters are a little lost in my big 'ol 6 quart bowl. My mom has the slightly smaller Artisan (probably 5 quart) and she uses it a lot, but not for bread kneading - which is a shame, because she bakes more bread than I do, as a rule.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7421632

I also researched this a bit and went with the 6 qt. as I wanted it to be used to the maximum. It has the LIFT thingy which I like . I make heavy bread and cookies with mine...LOVE IT. I did find it less expensive thru Amazon.com than from the company itself.

OH...I got the shield but i have never used it... I might try but haven't needed it...

I also got a cover for it which doesn't scream USE ME as loudly!!!
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7421659

I use the shield a lot. You can easily add ingredients without turning the mixer off. I also like the lift. My mixer is appx 30years old and has only been repaired once. I don't have the pasta attachments but have a friend who sells pasta at our market. She uses the attachments and makes great pasta! I agree. Buy the best you can and the 6 quart refurbished a a great value!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7422584

It's early and I'm still half asleep so my watts might be wrong but if I remember correctly 250-325 isn't heavy duty enough to knead bread. I have the Pro 600 and it can handle dough, but more importantly it breezes through buttercream which can be worse than a loaf of bread if you make a full batch.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7422622

I found out after I posted the above that there is a 3-quart bowl and beater/whip attachment for the 600 and 620 series: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku8282725/

Here are some sources: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Mq6&resnum=0&q=combi+bowl+and+whip+kitchenaid&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4414610830562898099&ei=yqJAS9DSEdGOtgfdpLGECQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CB4Q8wIwAg#ps-sellers

I've already put in my request for this as an upcoming birthday, Mother's Day or Christmas gift - I could just order it myself, but that makes it doubly hard for my family to find anything to buy me when gift-giving times roll around.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7422747

Oh my gosh, thank you all so much! It sounds like I may need to check
into the 6 quart. After all, the kids are all young adults at this point, but you
never know when little ones and spouses might come along during family
get togethers. ;-)

With your help and a bit of homework, I have discovered that the gears seem
to be an issue. The Artisan has nylon and metal gears, which is a complaint of
many. Nylon / plastic. Plastic + bread dough = not good. Now this is not to say
that Artisan's are bad, we're just trying to avoid any difficulty from the get go.

Looks like we are going to go with the Professional 6 quart.

The only thing I'm wondering about is the head. It seems like I came across issues
about the head tilting or not tilting, and now I can't find that webpage. Silly question,
I guess, perhaps I overlooked it on the website. Does the head tilt back on all the
mixers or just some?

*** Wait, wait, I just found a page. The complaints are that the head
does not tilt back. Hmm. Maybe the search is not yet over, or maybe I'm just being
fussy. For those who do not have a head that tilts (this sounds funny, but we are
talking about mixers, LOL) does this present any issues other than having to
maneuver the bowl out from under the attachment, then scrape off all the batter or
dough?

:-) Karen Marie
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

January 3, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7423296

No problem for me! The attachments come off really easily at the attachment site, and then I just drop the bowl and everything slips off. No problem.
philsgal
Middle River, MD

January 4, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7426926

The bowl lift takes some getting used to. There is a slight learning curve moving from a tilt head just because the action you use to remove the bowl is so different. I've had mine for a few years and I still sometimes go to tilt the head back! It is not too difficult though.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7438837

Here is a Youtube video about the Sideswipe beater that fits the Kitchenaid mixer. I bought one last fall, and can tell you first hand..it is fantastic! You NEVER have to scrape the sides of the bowl when mixing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IbEvY65ia4

It is definitely worth every penny!
shelly61
townsville
Australia

February 4, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7528071

good afternoon all, I have never been in this forum before, and let me just say YUM!!! those cakes look devine and the chocolate cheesecake in the fridge was made for me, but alas I can not remember tasting it ha ha ha ha ha, and it was about a month early for my birthday lol. and not to mention the problems of getting it to australia, but it looks so good it would have been worth it.
Shelly

You do a fantastic job and probably should charge more for your work!!!!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7615617

I have used my sideswip several times now and LOVE it...I agree it's worth every dime.

These are my latest...still learning but I'm having fun. The tiara was royal icing the "jewels" hard candy...learned that you never make hard candy without a funnel stopper...hard lesson to learn) everything was edible except the ribbon on the stem of the scepter.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2010 9:31 AM

Thumbnail by araness

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7615730

Those are just beautiful, Araness! You mean to tell us you can't make the ribbon too????? LOL...Just teasing you! Fantastic work!
I was in the Kitchen Aid store just yesterday, in Greenville, Ohio...where ALL Kitchen Aid mixers are made.
The lady showed us all the attachments, and told us how they worked. What a lot of nice things you could do with all of them!
They even give classes there...and then you get to eat the food! I think they are just demo classes..no hands on...but still..they are free. You just show up!
In their basement, they have the refurbished mixers, plus a Kitchen Aid museum. They have mixers from the 20's up to now...and shows the progression of styles...among other things. They also have Julia Childs original Kitchen Aid mixer on display. They bought it back from her in 1999...when they gave her a new one for her shows.
It was all very interesting!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7616167

lol matter of fact I can make the ribbon...but it was 10 minutes until I had to deliver it. *G* so I cheated. I'd love to go to the museum. I love my KA stuff...love the stand mixer and wouldn't take anything for it.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7616812

Beauty-mous pictures. Love my KA too.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7617416

Hi Araness, I see a few more of your lovely cakes. It is good that you are enjoying yourself. I signed up for a 5 weekend baking class. The instructor had 2 large Kitchen Aid stand mixers on her table. It was a breeze to work with them. Wow.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7617777

The right kitchen tools make all the difference in the kitchen.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7618547

[quote="TwinLakesChef"]The right kitchen tools make all the difference in the kitchen.[/quote]

Amen!

I'm not a fan of having every little gadget known to man (my kitchen is too small), but having proper, well-made tools makes a huge difference on how easy it is to cook well, and enjoy the process.

And having enough tools is also important. For example, I am the proud owner of at least a half-dozen bowl scrapers, and there are many dinners that have found most - if not all - of them used for various dishes ;o)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7618712

To me...one of the worst jobs with mixing things, is stopping the mixer to scrape. Maybe my left hand has something to do with it??? But the Sideswipe has eliminated all that...what a blessing!!
Araness, I just knew you could make ribbon, if you could do all the other nice things in decorating! Many yrs ago, I used to decorate cakes too.
Talking about the left hand above...I should clarify that. I am left handed.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7622868

My challenge is that I LOVE gadgets . . bring one up and I probably have tried it. I also find that I buy gadgets and don't use them. It takes some training in my mind to get in the habbit of pulling them out and getting used to them.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7695625

Love my Sideswipe so much I've ordered another...only thing I've found it can't handle is buttercream made with a lower ratio shortening. Using high ratio it does fine.

I'm having a blast with the fondant cakes I'm finally getting a chance to do, this is my last one. Everything is either gumpaste or fondant...lol the pencil took more time than the cakes.

Thumbnail by araness

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7695757

Those are too cute...I'm hosting bunco at my house a week from Monday - any chance you could just ship those to me???
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7695829

Araness, I love the fondant cakes (what's inside of them?) and all of the desserts that you make. I finally had my first cake decorating class this afternoon with 2 more Saturdays to go. Then I will have completed course1. Eventually, I would like to work with fondant. Until then, I will peep at those great KA mixers at Macy's and on-line until I can have one of my very own.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7696148

lol Terry I kinda think UPS would smush em..

Torries, one has a chocolate cake with a whipped ganache filling and fudge buttercream, another strawberry with champagne filling and buttercream the last strawberry with a fresh strawberry filling and buttercream.

Did you enjoy the class? LOL warn the DH now it's addictive...soon you will spend all your money on cakes...just a hint if you think you will continue on with this even on a semi casual basis don't buy the Wilton pans...try and get Magic Line or Fat Daddio's. Much better quality only a bit more and they bake so much better IMHO
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7696668

Oh, the cakes sound delicious. Yumm. I have to bring a cake to the next class to frost and decorate.
That is the problem, no husband to complain about my spending habits. It is just me and the cat Torrie. I will be making
cakes for friends anniversaries and showers.
Thanks for the tip on the pans.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7696738

If you continue along..once you get the baking, leveling etc down pat buy some dummies...you won't believe how quickly friends and family get tired of cakes...
voyagergreg
Lakeside Marblehead, OH

April 23, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7730812

I've ben a KA fan for years starting out with the 5 qt. size...A year & a half ago I upgraded to the 6 qt. 600 series...I really liked it, but buyer beware there has ben alot of unhappy people w/ this model...When doing bread doughs the motor can stall out & dough hook won't turn, or a scraping sound can occur...The worst part of all this is how costly the repairs can be...I took mine in & they wanted $269 to repair it! After much research I found out alot of the internal parts near the motor are PLASTIC & no longer metal & these things break easily...Plus I heard Whirlpool is making these KA Mixers...
My old 5 qt. mixer I gave to a friend (I used it for over 8 yrs. w/ no prob's)

Received as a gift last week a new 5 qt. & they must have changed the model as the bowl on this model screws on the base & the head of mixer tilts back...To me it looks's more like the 4 qt. size...Not happy w/ it thus far...But can't justify the $269 to repair the broken 6 qt. one...Plus now I'm stuck w/ 2 -6 qt. mixing bowls that I can't use!
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7926406

Araness, your cakes are impressive. I do hope you are charging what these are worth. Check out what bakeries are getting for cakes the quality of yours. I would certainly pay for these beauties!
But I just bought a Kitchenaid mixer,too! It is going to sabatage any diet I start. I have a lot to learn. Ina Gartin uses one for many of the recipes that she demonstrates on her show. Watching her is what gave me the overwhelmimg desire to make my own bread. If I can succeed at bread, it will be a miracle!
Johanna

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #7926674

I am THRILLED with my new scraper beater. Used it for brownies and a cheese cake last week and it's awesome - no more stopping and scraping!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7926938

nope and it makes for a wonderful texture for the cheesecake, smooth and light without being "fluffy"

Thanks Flicker...we are in the process of moving so I haven't done many cakes in the last month and I miss it...here are a few new ones

Thumbnail by araness

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7926943

to date this is my fav...and we will not talk about the time it took...with all of my cakes I try very hard to make everything edible (except the supports of course) so chow down on those poker chips and playing cards!

Thumbnail by araness

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7926947

this was the most recent done...I wasn't thrilled with how it turned out...it was harder than I thought. As soon as we get settled in Houston I'm going to try and find a basic painting class I need to learn how to paint wood textures etc

Thumbnail by araness

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7926954

this was a freebie done for a returning reservist...

Thumbnail by araness

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7927253

All I can say is...WOW!!!! You surely do BEAUTIFUL work, araness!!!
Congratulations to you!!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7927890

Yea on moving to Houston to :)

Love your genius work!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7927936

tyty all

Tir Na Nog, not really Houston..Pearland.

Can't wait...
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7929446

I do believe that you could teach a few classes. Great skill!
Thanks for the inspiring photos.
Johanna
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7929574

ah :)
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

December 29, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9369605

I live my KA for so many things.
The one thing that changed when I first got it was that I started using the KA mixer to mix ground beef and chicken for meat loaf or filling.
It's just so quick and easy that I haven't mixed ground meat by hand since I got it.

I have never minded but I understand that there are people who don't like to stick their hands in raw meat.
Sparklebright
Oshawa
Canada

December 31, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9371783

Oh and one other thing that I just learned from reading blogs---
Shredding chicken, pork or beef.
It has to be warm still and I would chop it a little first.
You have to use the paddle.

I can't wait to try this.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9372624

Love, love , love my KA. I have the shredder attachement. Makes real short work of shredding cheese. I really need a new paddle beater for mine; the plastic stuff is coming off and looks unsightly. Works ok, tho.

Have to tell you a funny one, tho. In 2011 and 2012 I spent 2 weeks in New York doing a custom cow milking job. I stayed in the client's house (house-sitting, if you will) along with the cow job. My days were free, and my client doesn't bake. Hates it, as a matter of fact. Soooo...I baked up a storm. This last time I made her 3 loaves of bread, a dozen HUGE cinnamon rolls and frosting, and about 10 batches of cookie dough and put it all in her freezer. She has one of those old Sunbeam Mixmasters. *yes, I know, but I had to cope with it*. I am going out again this year and since my Spousal Unit is driving out (I am flying) I said I was going to pack my KA and he was going to bring it for me. I told her she would be amazed at what I could accomplish with my KA. She said "I am amazed what you do with the Sunbeam". Then I told her she would be overwhelmed at what she would find in her freezer when she gets back. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America