Photo by Melody

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: What hippeastrum are you buying in 2009?

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 39, Views: 402
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7000967

I would love to know where and what all you fellow Hippeastrum lovers are buying in the way of new hippeastrum bulbs this fall. Patti

I just sent in an order for six out of about 30
Clown
Double Dragon
Full House
La Paz
Neon Rose
Prelude

Benfica 9.76
Madrid 9.76
Samba 9.06
Siren 9.76
Snow drift 9.06
Bogota 9.06
Gervase 9.76
Lima 9.06
Melusine 9.06

From John Scheeepers I want to add http:///www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Category&_category=Amaryllis
Zombie
Rock 'n Roll
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 30, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7005843

I've bought 3 papillios but not sure how they'll go in this climate. If they start to go down hill I'll send them to my sister who might be able to do better.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7009901

I looking at eflowers classifie d group buy ad too. I lookign at the doubles. Love the doubles and lookign at that one that looks yellow and them the thinkone calle d limelight or something.

Don't think I everv saw a yellow Amaryliss before, looks kind a neat. Looks liek eflower added a whole bunch more to their site.
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7057793

None.
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #7058379

I ordered a few more from Eden Blooms. My order from them last year got lost, so this is basically a replacement one from them. I lam most excited about that cybister Night Star. And I love green flowers so I hope that Green Dragon is a winner. Now I just have to figure out where I am going to keep them all as the GH will be pretty full come mid Oct. Patti

Amaryllis Parodii "Germa"
Amaryllis Cupido
Amaryllis Green Dragon
Amaryllis Cybister Night Star
Amaryllis Lemon Sorbet
Amaryllis Mrs Garfield

I did order these from John Scheepers
Ambiance
Zombie
Rock 'n Roll

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7058496

I ordered just three cybisters from the DG co-op.They were Misty,Estella and Bogota.Other than that,I watch ebay for hard to find varieties.So far that has netted Striped Panther and Night Star.I also got a Mandonii from Jim Shields.Very nice bulb but the shipping and handling were shocking.22 bucks shipping for a bulb just larger than a golf ball.I'm trying to add more species to my collection but it will be a long time before I go that route again.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 3:30 PM
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7058614

My but the species bulbs are painful. A golf ball sized Mandonii will take years to bloom - and they are very difficult.
Are you sure it was Scheeper's?
Sounds more like Shields?
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #7059059

I didn't see species H. mandonii on their list. (scheepers) I would love one too. Was it on ebay. Patti

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 12:40 PM
mariava7
Ewing, VA

September 13, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #7059252

I have a few coming in from here and there. Got all my fingers and toes crossed for this. LOL!!!
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7059770

Gordo was right,it was Jim Shields that had the Mandonii.He has other hard to find species available as well.No way I'm paying that kind of "handling"again.I will just do without.I don't mind paying a high price for a rare bulb but I'll be d___mned if I will be ripped off again for shipping.
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #7060012

Last time I checked it was 4.85 for less than one pound via Priority Mail.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7060151

Yep,under 5 bucks would have done it.He did mail with leaves so toss in another couple for the extra weight.
I think I'm mostly mad with myself.I have ordered on the internet long enough to know that websites without shopping carts and with no shipping listed anywhere on the website are a BIG no no.I should have at least asked about shipping costs when I called in my credit card.I was so focused on the bulb that I lost suight of everything else.Oh well,he lost what would have been a good customer.
npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

September 16, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #7068725

Do you really think that a nurseryman should drive down to the post office after having carefully packaged your bulb,with leaves,no less, Without some sort of compensation,other than postage? What is his time worth? I think Mr shields may be high on some items,but I have never read where someone was displeased with the quality of his products. One is not "ripped off when he commits to buy, before he knows what the total cost will be. There are large corporations which have what I consider exorbitant shipping fees. If the total cost is greater than I wish to pay,I just don't buy. Del
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7070213

Well Del,do you really believe that Mr Shields sold only one bulb that week?The cost of his trip,if he made a trip,to the post office was divided between all of his sales for that week.Most businesses have their packages picked up on site."Cost of sales" is the price of doing business and is reflected in the price of the product.
Business 101.How do I know that?I have run a successful nursery,with online sales,for more than ten years.Somehow we have managed to get by charging our customers only actual postage.
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7070270

I ordered from JS
Gervasse
Trentino
Zombie
Candy Floss
Cocktail
Misty
La Paz
They will soon be shipping, can hardly wait!!!
npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

September 16, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7070665

I had a wholesale rose nursery,for eleven years,until the weed killer in benlate wiped me out. I have sent and recieved many packages,through the post office. I am well aware of the costs, and what is possible. I have no idea of the volume of shipping Mr Shields does. I do know he is up front about all his prices, including shipping and handling. It is your business as to what you consider and include in your cost of doing business,as it is his. Sir, you stated that you have been ripped off. You have not. Perhaps you may have been foolish. To denigrate a fellow nurseryman,and fellow forum member,especially without cause,because you are aggravated about your lack of business accumen,in a business deal with him,is inexcusable. I know enough about business phycology,that I know when you run down a fellow businessman,it will cost you business, and may help his business,because of the curiosity factor. I wish you well,but I wish you would choose your words more wisely.
Del
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7070841

Whoa, Del...take it easy... gonetoseed is one of the most respected nurserymen both on this forum and the web.
We all have the right to carp a bit about purchases from time to time. After all, there is a Garden Watchdog on this very site for that purpose.
Also, the members have the right to share plant buying experiences with others on these private forums. It is a way for folks to determine which sellers have their customers' best interests at heart.

npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

September 16, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7071524

Should I start another business, I hope not to have people as customers who get on an
international forum and say that they have been "ripped off" by me, only because they didn't find out what the total cost would be,before they committed to buy. Since you want to tell me whoa,when I call this what it Is,I can only assume that you agree with that sort of thing. And you are in business,also?
As to the worth of Garden Watchdog;all it takes is a lawsuit threat to annul any bad ratingl. A safer system would be to only list those with praise. Too many complaints would delist them.
I have not attacked you or the person you defend. I merely point out that the statement denigrating the character of Mr Shields is inexcusable. It is inexcusable,still.
Del
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7071604

Del,I posted this as a heads up,to my friends on this forum,not to make the mistake I did.Nothing more.If you want to discuss it further let's take it to private email.
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 16, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7071695

Hi, gone2seed!

I am quite familiar with Jim Shield's website and have often drooled over many of his hard to find varieties.

After reading this, I went back to his site. He lists Mandonii for $50 and states that it is up to 2", so it can be expected that the bulb would be small. Yes! Expensive, but supply and demand says that price should be high. How high depends on how much one is willing to pay. Certainly, for this particular bulb, high would be expected unless you have a really good friend.

I looked up the shipping charge information on his website. It states $7 for the first $35, then over $35, add 20%. It is not clear as to whether the 20% applies to the original order amount or the amount above $35. In the worst case, the charge should have been $7 plus 20% of $50 which is an additional $10, bringing the total to $17. There is optional insurance, but even with that, I don't see how the shipping cost would be $22. There is a state tax for Indiana residents, but that would not apply to a Florida resident.

It sounds to me like a mistake may have been made. Have you tried to contact him and inquired? I have only written him a couple of times (not regarding purchases), and he has been quite responsive.

Good luck with your treasure.

Ann

gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7072012

Yup, in business... http://www.arghyagardens.com
...and weighing plants a little on the light side, because I really like my customers. :-)
I've sent bulbs as large as 4" in diameter with 24" of growth in Priority Mail map boxes for between 4.85 and 8.50 depending on where it is going.

Sometimes, if I have a whopper of a crinum to ship, we get into the 9.75 zone
If my calculations are correct, I would have to send out a crinum augustum as big as a beer keg to justify a 22.00 shipping charge. LOL!!!

"It sounds to me like a mistake may have been made."
I agree. I'm sure this is the case.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 7:56 PM
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7072177

Yes Ann,I did send an email to politely ask if a mistake had been made.I received no answer so this is just a case of grit my teeth and move on.It's certainly not the first mistake I have made and won't be the last.I try not to keep score.
Edited to add,I was very pleased with the plant and with the size.I expect smaller bulbs in the species.My only complaint was the shipping charges.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 7:27 PM
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 17, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7072285

Liz,

I appreciate your comments, but my response was to the fact that it was stated that "no shipping listed anywhere on the website", but yet I did find that information listed. If it were me, I would have questioned the wording of the shipping costs, and certainly in this case, I would have approached the vendor before making public complaint. I am not judging anyone. I am simply stating how I do business.

Sometimes, there are mistakes. I have definitely been a victim of those. IF after trying to rectify, I do not get a reasonable response, I will make it public. I have rarely done that and always warn the vendor first. But I do give them the first chance to explain or rectify. I would do that with you or anyone else that I did business with.

If I want a bulb bad enough, I will pay the price that I can afford. I will also make sure that I know what the final price is before hitting the submit order button.

And, yes, sometimes shipping and handling costs will make a difference as to my vendor choice, but more often than not, it is based on personal experience and quality of the bulbs. A few of the more highly rated companies have shipped inferior products. I do feel that I should try to resolve those issues before I make public complaints.

Wouldn't you want that?

I have seen shipping charges of $20 from friends whose package was by far less than a keg, but that has nothing to do with this issue. It is a matter of whether the shipping costs was available before making the final order.

Don't you just hate math teachers?

LOL!

Ann
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 17, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7072375

Hi, gone2seed!

We cross posted.

I would encourage you to write again. I did that with Eden's Blooms several times. In the end, I did get 'free bulbs', but I only saw one bulb bloom out of many, and I am still not sure how many will actually survive the late, misplaced shipment.

It was a major mistake on their part. I had ordered with the purpose of hybridizing and I lost that year of opportunity. However, they did eventually respond. They made it somewhat right by sending me the bulbs (not all the same as I ordered) and immediately refunded my purchase after many months of emails.

Will I order from them again? Eventually, I would like to, but my window of opportunity passed. Sometimes wounds have to heal and confidence has to be rebuilt, but I got passed that really quickly when I put myself in their shoes. They did a wonderful job shipping to most people. I was one of a few that somehow got messed up. I am sure that much of that had to do with a learning curve on the part of a new and enthusiastic company. Some had to do with the size of the company and personal issues.

Even though correspondence was far and in between, promises were not kept as expected, I was frustrated, I do understand that in the end they finally did the best they could to make amends for the mistake and offered the sincerest of apologies.

Actually, I will probably order a few more bulbs from them this year. I hope that their new company does well because they offer what is not available eslewhere. I may even send them a few pictures, if I can find the time.

You are so lucky to have Madonii. I am sorry that you did not realize what the final price would be. Do let us know what Jim has to say, and please do send pictures when it blooms. It is 'to die for'!!!

Ann
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7072608

OK...all of you, watermelons at fifty paces...
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - Heave!
LOL!!!!
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 17, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7072640

Excuse me? I don't understand that purpose of that comment.

Can you explain?
mariava7
Ewing, VA

September 17, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7072783

Welcome to the 2009-2010 Hippeastrum/ Amaryllis Season !!!

May this new season bring all of us healthy bulbs and lots of beautiful flowers...

Peace, Love and Friendship...

These are what's in bloom right now just outside my kitchen door. Got to take their pic while cooking dinner! LOL!

Enjoy!!!

Ahemmmmmm...Now let's go bulb shoppin'!!!!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7072864

It means, let's have fun. :-)
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 17, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #7073799

Well,I can say that it has been interesting.What started as a simple complaint about shipping charges seems to have turned to advice on how to run at least one part of my online participation.I actually appreciate people like Del who take a position and stick to it.You know what to expect from them,unlike those who disagree,then go to great lengths to explain why theirs is the moral high ground.
To those who have d-mailed me,my thanks.As for me,I can find about a hundred better things to do than continue this.
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 17, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7074414

:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkOnn0p0HA
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 17, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7075464

Maria,

I am not ordering as much this year. I have most already, and I have to realize my limitation, time wise.

My primary order is from blooming bulbs. I fell in love with the miniatures, and not necessarily the cybisters, although I adore those. My goal is to determine how well miniatures and cybisters as well as various hybrids survive in the most rainy city in the USA. That means letting them grow in the ground when winters are often very wet, but not necessarily freezing cold. I have lost some, but I cannot attribute that to environment. Some arrived from companies in not so great shape, and those, I try to grow in pots with some disappointment. Part of the problem is the bulb, and part of the problem is me. I am overwhelmed with my job and my child, and those come first.

Still, I hope to be better at posting pictures of my treasures. I have so many and the ones that are over 20 years old are precious to me. I just need to get more of them in the ground rather than in pots. That is my current learning curve. I am on the marginal Zone 8b/9a which makes it difficult.

Keep posting pics! I enjoy even though I know that I cannot have.

Thanks!

Ann

mariava7
Ewing, VA

September 18, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #7076326

Hi Ann!

I haven't ordered much either. Just a few that I would like to add to the collection...period. No other purpose. Maybe I am getting tired...or old. LOL!!! After all these years of acquiring every variety I could get hold of, I would a lot of times question myself.."Is this ever going to end?" Gezzzzzzzzz...I don't want the rest of my life to be run by these Hippies. I mean I LOVE them but at this point and time in my life, I have considered "others" to be more important and have more priority with my time and attention. Hippies will be hippies! They will come and go if it's their destiny. Take time to enjoy their flowers and take time to nurture life.

This is "Little Miss Summer"...The newest and most precious flower in my life! Gordo is so right..."let's have fun!"

Thumbnail by mariava7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #7078146

What a cutie!
I'll take one! How much!

*oops, I thought this was Dave's Marketplace. (((hugs)))
Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7078428

Maria, she is so precious!!!
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 18, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7078746

Liz,

My school computer blocks youtube and photobucket, so I cannot see this at school. My home internet cable provider is the pits and down more than up, so when I write, it is when the service is better.

Liz, Thank you for the link. I will try to download it to play for my high school students. There are a lot of good messages for them. I teach primarily failing students, and it is a challenge, to say the least. Still, I have to keep reminding myself that even though they are in a 9th grade class, they are still children. I can reach some of them, not all, but I promise you that I never give up on any of them.

Thank you so very much for sharing the link. Thankfully, my cable service was working today so that I could view it.

gone2seed, I am used to crossing t's and dotting i's. I am in a low income school with massive documentation and federal requirements. I also type almost as fast as I think, so if I offended you, I am sorry. I don't have much time to respond, but when I do, I am truly trying to help. We all have the same bad experiences. I have more than I have shared.

I share what I do because I care. I don't have time for anything other than that.

Maria, You didn't say, but is that your grandchild? Your "Little Miss Summer" is a DOLL!

gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7079494

I wasn't offended Ann,just a bit surprised.Everyone has an opinion.
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7082688

Well, JT, just know that we don't all share that opinion and we love you. :) Glad you got thick skin is all I can say. LOL Must be from all that wonderful Florida sun.

And Del, . If you knew JT, you would be so ashamed for answering him so rudely. My opinion, and the correct one, I might add.

HSteacher, I always said it takes a special breed of folks to be teachers. That is a compliment. Being anal retentive , unfortunately for the rest of us, is just part of the package. But I still appreciate the fact that you do the job you do. I personally couldn't handle it.

On a lighter note...

Maria, that photo of your amaryllis is fabulous. When did you plant those so they all bloom at the same time?

Ok, to those of you that are experts, (and I've tried to hide my ignorance, but I really must ask), when I receive Amaryllis, do I plant them in the ground? If so, when and when will they bloom and for how long. I normally try to just watch the dates on the photos on the threads and in plant files to get an idea of the bloom time of a particular plant I am interested. But with the amaryllis, someone always has blooms at all different times of the year. Hmmm, inquiring minds would love to know. :)

Debbie
HSteacher
Mobile, AL

September 20, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7084157

Debbie,

I am closer to your zone, 8b or 9a, depending on what zone map you choose to use and your AND your actual temperature ranges.

Certainly, I do not consider myself an expert. The fact that I have been growing them and collecting them for many years does not make me an expert, just knowledgeable based on my experience.

Given that, this is what I have observed. When you purchase a hippeastrum on the market (in the store or online), they are conditioned for blooming in our winter months. Since I do not particularly like having a newly formed scape frozen by one of our cold fronts, I always pot them up and keep them in a protected area for the first year.

After they have bloomed, you can plant them in the ground. Some will make it and some won't. Because of that, if I really like one and it is hard to find, I continue to keep it in a pot and protect it. Goodness knows what year we will get a record breaking freeze or a freeze below 20 degrees. It rarely happens, but because it does, I protect those that I do not wish to lose.

I do not wish to offend anyone, but I always warn the vendor before I post negative experiences. This is simply the way I am. Thankfully, it is rare that I have had bad experiences, and some of those have been with very highly regarded and respected companies.

That being said, it truly annoys me when the vendor ships a replacement bulb to my billing address rather than the shipping address, but to be honest, they nearly always do that. So, the bulb sits in my HOT mailbox until I manage to get home and retrieve it. Oh, well...

I am the first to admit that I am not perfect by any means nor do I expect anyone else to be perfect.

Ann
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7084820

Ann, thanks so much for the info. If I plant them in pots when they get here in October, do I place the pots on my porch and then just bring them in the house when we have a threat of cold. And then bring them back outside to the covered porch when it warms again a bit. Would that work? And at what temperature forecast should I bring them in. LOL I'd rather look like a dummy, than lose my pretty Amaryllis. And you and I both know , in our zones, it can be 30 degrees one night and 70 degrees the next day. I don't mind bringing them back and forth (I'll probably make myself a decorated wagan planter holder) so I can just roll it in and out quickly. But I still need the temps that warrant the move.

Ok, to summarize:

Upon arrival in October, plant in individual pots.
Place pots in decorated wagon :)
Roll wagon to porch
In cold, roll wagon into house.

How about that, will it work?
lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #7122848

New ones moving in with me for 2009:

1 Charisma

1 Exotic Star

1 Neon Rose

3 Scarlett Baby

1 Blushing Bride
From EdensBlooms:

4 Stylosum
1 Bellisimo
1 Green Dragon
1Germa
1 Razzmartazz
1 Bright Spark
1 Mrs Garfield

At least I know I'll get some blooms from these new ones, with the possible exception of the Stylosum which are very small bulbs. I'm a little worried about getting all the new ones from last year to rebloom. They spent the summer outside and I've not been watering them for about a month. The are moving inside now. Two of the ones that bloomed last winter also sent up stems in late August. One I repotted and the stem never developed. The other one bloomed. I wonder how long I should let the leaves grow on the one that bloomed before I make it go dormant again? When repotting to a larger pot, is it best not to loosen the roots?

Susan

This message was edited Oct 1, 2009 10:34 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America