Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soap and Candle-making: Soap Making For Beginners Question

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 12, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7004945

I would like to try making soap just for myself. Can anyone suggest a good book on soap making? Easy and not too complicated? I want to make some herb soaps as I have all kinds of mint and other herbs growing in the garden. Do you grind the herbs up in a blender so they don't stop up the sink when used in soap?
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7015795

The herbs I have used turned dark and not very appealing looking when I tried using fresh herbs in my soap. The lavender looked like mouse droppings in my soap. I was not pleased!

There are lots of websites that give great info. I think the key to great soap is accurate measuring.

I have got lots of great info and recipes from this site.

http://millersoap.com/index.html
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7016916

Thanks, Pinkpoodlegirl! Excellent articles and recipes for beginners.
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7039102

Millersoap is a great place to start! One of the best things she suggests is to use a stick blender - easily worth what you pay for it (check second-hand stores first).

You can infuse herbs in either the distilled water (cool it completely before adding lye) or in the liquid oils (strain before using). Also, parsley will stay green and calendula will stay yellow, but yes, both should be finely ground - otherwise, you'll be picking or rinsing the herbs off and possibly scratching (not exfoliating) your skin. If you want the soap to smell like herbs - use essential oils. However, STUDY them before using them.

Start small with your recipes - that way if one of your trials doesn't work, it's not such an expensive loss.

Check your library for soap making books. As it sounds like you are just beginning, I would suggest starting out with cold process, at least until you feel you have a good understanding of the art of soap making. Then, if you want, you can progress to hot process. (I've done both, and personally prefer the smooth consistency of cold process bars.)

One more thing - you don't have to have all the fancy or exotic oils to make an excellent bar of soap. The more oils you use, the more expensive it is to make. Yes, they are nice and many can be used in small quantities. Olive oil, canola oil, corn oil, coconut oil are all good, and not as expensive as say - emu oil or even avocado oil. However soapmaking is completely personal - that's why I like it - I actually have CONTROL over one aspect of my life!

Most importantly - have FUN!
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7063903

Thank you Moms_Garden for the excellent advice. I did get some soap making books from the library, as you suggest, and am now studying them before I get started. Yes, I agree, it will be nice to have some control for a change. I've read that store bought soap is full of all kinds of bad things.

Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7078416

After using hand made soap, I decreased my lotion use immensely, but now I make my own lotion as well. :)

On my web site, I have step-by-step instructions for soap making, plus a recipe that uses oils that can be found in most grocery stores. I have found lye at our local Ace Hardware. Make sure it is 100% lye. Hope this helps. www.lofthousegardens.com

rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7082760

THANKS Moms_Garden...a great and helpful web site. Have you ever made soap in a slow cooker? I have a 2 quart that my son just gave me but that would be too small wouldn't it? I don't know if I should invest in a larger one...looked at Goodwill but they didn't have any. They usually have lots of them.

Karen
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7098065

Yes, I have used a slow cooker. I personally don't care for it, but my sister loves it, so I make soap for her in the slow cooker. (Not that I don't like the soap, just the texture.) However, it is a quick way to make soap and probably easier if you want to use fancier molds. I think my slow cooker is a four quart and I used 32 ounces of oils. Your 2 quart would work for a one pound batch.

A great book for the hot process soap (using the slow cooker) is "Handcrafted Soap" by Delores Boone. She has three ways to make the hot process, plus plenty of recipes and other useful information. I use her book for ideas for my cold process soap.

Don't know if you've made soap yet, but I hope you have fun doing it. Not every batch may work, but don't let that discourage you from trying. Also - once you start, you are not going to want to stop! :)

Kim
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7121502

Thanks, Kim. As of today I am retired from my job and I finally have time and am ready to make that soap! I will look for those books. I checked some out of the library and the recipes seem to have so many ingredients. I just want to try making simple coffee mint soap(with the grounds as an exfoliate), orange mint soap...maybe chocolate mint too.
Moms_Garden
Dammeron Valley, UT
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7121883

Congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy the journey of soap making (simple IS the best way to start!) . . .
timelythings
Battletown, KY

November 1, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7230797

i have a bookby scott cummingham called incense oils and brews i thought it had soap in it

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #8983403

What an interesting thread! Has anyone learned anything new?
Cherry08
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2014
8:49 PM

Post #9826683

I would love to make soap too. I am fond of making DIY projects. I like all natural skin care product too. Is there any news about your soap making today? Can you post some pictures so we can see your finish product? Thank you in advance.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Hello, new candlemaker to this forum... waxedout 11 Aug 10, 2014 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America