Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Home Decorating: Kitchen window treatments

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 15, Views: 259
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7006689

If you have a window above the sink, what do you use for window treatment?

I have mini blinds which I absolutely hate cause I have to take the light down to take the blinds down to clean them. I need to have something on the window because it's a west facing 2nd story window that gets wicked hot.

This pic is NOT of my kitchen.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fayze
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7019665

I do not have any curtains at my double window - what I have is 1/2 gal. canning jars - some are antiques - a couple of the turquoise glass jars, all with the old zinc lids, and two jars from Canada with glass lids. I have different brands - Kerr, Ball, actually cannot think of the others right now. Anyway there are seven jars in each window sitting on the window sill - because my windows are about 8 feet off the ground, it gives me plenty of privacy - and I love the way it looks. I get alot of compliments.
Sorry I do not have any photo's to share.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

September 6, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7032399

I am assuming you need a window treatment to keep the sun out. My window doesn't have that problem, I wish I had more sun - mine is just full of small plants hanging at all different levels.

Not sure what your style/decor is, but in some of my smaller windows where I used to live, I used vintage runners as curtains. Some were lacey. I just found one a little bigger than the window and pinned it up. Easy to take down and throw in the laundry when it got dusty. Usually I used white - it nicely blocked the light but still let alot in. I will see if I can find you a link to a photo of something similar.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7032710

I def need to keep the sun out. It gets so hot on that side of the house.
I'm on the laptop so I can't post a pic of my kitchen, I'll have to do that later.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

September 7, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7035639

that would help!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #7057851

I've never been to this forum before, but I was looking for something other than mini blinds as well, and for the same reason. I've got two windows over my kitchen sink which also face due west, and in the summer the heat and direct sun coming in from those windows is really obnoxious.

I solved the problem by removing the screens and rewired them with 50% shade cloth like they use in nurseries. Could have used an even higher percentage of shade cloth, but this works fine and the kitchen is much cooler now...MUCH cooler. The view out those windows is nothing exciting at all, (blank ugly wall of the neighbors house) so I used the beige colored shade cloth and it sort of blurs the otherwise ugly view...which is fine. Then I just bought new mini blinds.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #7057978

JasperDale, Where did you get the shade cloth?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7058762

At a landscape supply store. You should be able to find it at any place that sells outdoor bldg. supplies, patio furniture, spas, etc. Maybe HD or Lowes carries it too...I never even looked.

BTW...as an added note, the shade cloth isn't as "rigid" as regular screen mesh, so if you have aluminum screen frames, it won't work very well. It's too thick to get it into the groove where the mesh goes.

If that's the case, you could build a simple wooden frame the same size as the aluminum frame, out of 1 x 2 lumber ( or smaller ) and staple the shade cloth to it...then attach the whole thing to the window frame. Hard to advise you on this, since I don't know what type of windows you have.

If/when you do it, FOLD the shade cloth over itself where you staple it to the frame. Otherwise, you get those stray threads sticking out and it looks "frayed". Usually, when you buy this stuff. two edges of it are already bonded, like when you buy fabric off of a bolt. (Don't know what the technical sewing term is. lol )

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7059390

Oh pooh, hubby is not going want to do all that work.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7060761

He could probably do it in a hour or less.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 15, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7066286

3M window film; you can hire done or do it yourself. I have SW facing windows overlooking a glaring lake, floor to ceiling and the window film cuts the glare and keeps out the heat. In winter they are insulating. Putting the film on makes you lose the warranty from the window company on the low e glass for cracking windows and sills but 3M will pick up and match the warranty. Other cheaper window film companies do not offer this. If you don't have new windows with a warranty it doesn't matter. They won't crack as long as you don't go darker than 70% light blocked.
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
9:40 AM

Post #7076758

JD said >> (Don't know what the technical sewing term is. lol )

"Selvage" is the term for the bound-like non-fraying long edges of yardage fabric. "Cut edge" is the not so technical term for the non-bound fraying short edges that were cut. Of course, with wide material and short pieces of it, my 'long' and 'short' could actually be reversed. But it is the long edges when it's on the bolt.

Yes, I always take requests for terminology so seriously!

~'spin!~
crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 18, 2009
9:53 AM

Post #7076774

Regarding my kitchen sink window, it is an almost useless greenhouse window on the northside of the house (useless as a plant window that is, it's fine for checking the weather, and I keep my collection of bulbous pitchers and jugs on the upper shelf). It has a cheap miniblind to shut out people looking in from the street at night. I was always going to put a valance at the top of the blind between the two cupboards that flank the window, but I haven't done it in 18 years so I'm probably not going to now.

But, my blinds get dusty not dirty as no smoking in house and I hardly cook and rarely if every fry (maybe brown some onions once a year) and use the range vent if I do. So I am not too worried about cleaning them.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7186760

Ok so finally a picture of my kitchen window...
I was looking at it and I think that the light there is going to be a problem and get in the way of any curtain rod I try to put in there. UGH... I really hate those mini blinds.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7386735

jen, I have a similar set up. I don't have the sun problem though. Anyway, I have a really cheap old square fixture where tyou have the round one. I was thinking maybe I could take that out and find a new fixture, I've seen some sets with a close fitting (to the ceiling) track and three hanging small pendants. Maybe that would be more snug to the ceiling you could get around it. But maybe the window film i s the best suggestion so far, if you're sure you can't do the shade cloth screen. I have replaced fiberglass window screen and it was pretty easy, but if shade cloth won't go in those grooves then that is a different story.
AnnieBelle
Bremerton, WA

March 23, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7651155

Is there room to hang a roman shade? Or, how about a vinyl roll-up shade, maybe with a cafe curtain half way up for a decorative touch? Don't know about the roman, but I wouldn't think a vinyl one would need any more space to hang then the mini-blinds. Some shades are made to block out heat/cold.

I only wish my western facing window was over my sink. Mine is over my stove and that's really limiting.

Good luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America