Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

planting under and around a magnolia tree

Sydney, Canada

Hi. Can anybody suggest any plants or flowers to plant under and around a magnolia tree, This is a star magnolia. I have cut out a garden design around this tree. This design is quite long and wide. Anybody ever try this before?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I planted three clematises, a long time ago, when my magnolia was fairly new. They grow up and through the magnolia and look lovely.

Sydney, Canada

Hi again pirl. That sounds lovely. I haven't tried clematis yet, but I know they are beautiful. I am always looking for more room to plant. There is so much out there today. Sometimes I wish I had another acre or so, but still, I must leave some grass for my husband to mow. Grass is beautiful also. Thanks again pirl.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We like grass as well. It's comforting (to me) and refreshing.

Sydney, Canada

Sure feels good under bare toes. Have a great evening pirl.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

After seeing a picture on the front of White Flower Farms catalogue one year, I planted iris sibirica Nana Alba by mine, and it bloomed at the same time. White Flower Farms had theirs planted by a crabapple, but mine bloomed with my star magnolias. It's short, and spreads almost like a groundcover, but limited in it's spread to about two feet. And the leaves look nice even when the flower isn't in bloom.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/122417/

Sydney, Canada

Thanks very much pollyk. They would look very nice. I need all the help I can get. Have a great evening--IrishLass

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. I knew there was another plant I wanted to tell you about that bloomed with my magnolia, astilbe. The early ones. Snowdrift I'm pretty sure is the one I have that blooms with the magnolia, but any of the early ones should be fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.