Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: ID for the fibrous 'posts' that philodendron roots grow into

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robtcope
Madisonville, TX

August 31, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #7009600

Does anyone know what that material is called? It's fibrous and dark brown, cut or molded into posts buried in the soil and sticking up, and various types of philodendrons will send support roots into it as they grow upwards. Thanks!
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7011061

Sure don't know what that is...but I've seen them in small versions for house plants before.

Good Luck...

bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2009
10:13 AM

Post #7011941

Could you be describing coir (coconut bark)? It is brown and used in planting baskets...If it can be shaped into basket form, could as well be shaped as described.
robtcope
Madisonville, TX

September 2, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #7018817

The fibers are thicker than what I see described as coir (lining for hanging baskets), darker brown, and pretty rigid...it might be that but it would have to have been treated in some way.Thanks!
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7021991

I know what you are talking about, but I haven't seen any in years. They used to be everywhere. I'll be watching to see if anyone knows!
Pam
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

September 6, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7030244

I just saw some at Calloway's Nursery here in the DFW area - in the houseplant section.

I used to see them at Home Depot in the houseplant section, so maybe they still carry them?

I don't remember seeing them for the last few years until yesterday. They're not just compressed "sticks" of fiber any more - they're made of some kind of netting over a bundle of what looks like coconut fiber.

Have fun!
Elizabeth
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #7084511

Oh.. I know what you mean.. I see it all the time
it's I believe what you're refering to.. Tree Fern posts.. or as this catalog calls them tree fern totems
http://shop.greenbarnorchid.com/category.sc?categoryId=8
Gordon
Well..I bet I have some in one of my pots..I believe park princess..or is it pink princess.. philodendrum is growing over one somewhere here

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 20, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7085008

BINGO!!!! Gordon that is exactly the ones I remember. I couldn't find them anywhere. I bookmarked that web site.
Thanks,
Pam
robtcope
Madisonville, TX

September 23, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #7096054

Thank you Gordon! This is it exactly. I and my philodendrons thank you! Bob
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7096729

Great Pam... glad it was a help
Bob... Oh good... I thought that was what you were taling about I'd seen it about.. and a few years ago someone gave it to me for a plant that was languishing... but it immproved greatly with the tree fern post.. I'm a believer in it now..
I'm glad it was a help to you also...
Gordon
another container grouping.. heavy on the Angels Trumpets

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America