Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder: I love to pull weeds at work and at home

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Compulsive WeederReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
alum
Marion, NC

September 1, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #7010672

I love to pull weeds! In fact I'm sitting here sore from pulling weeds at work. I even get paid to do it! Let me explain. I teach a one year horticulture program at a maximum security men's prison. We have garden areas all around the greenhouse. Each student has their own gardening plot or shares one with someone else. We just started this semester and now I'm teaching my students what is a weed and what isn't. What a challenge, because most of them have never gardened at all. They learned real fast to ask before they pull, because a few choice plants disappeared and I had them go to the compost pile and find the plant and replant it. These guys are so excited about their garden plots. All I had to do was point to some nasty weeds like goose grass and tell them that even a full grown man can't pull them up. They dove in there and after just 2 weeks of class have just about weeded all of the areas. I've been weeding the herb garden and other joint gardens, especially after a good rain and when it's cool and overcast - perfect weather for pulling weeds!
At home I have many flower gardens and a large vegetable/flower garden and 22 1/2 acres of woods. I love to pull weeds but usually only have to do it in the woods In my vegetable garden I actually have very few weeds because I take all of my mowed fall leaves and put them as a winter cover on my garden and the worms work on my soil all winter. The mulch keeps the moisture even and I rarely have to water. The deteriorating leaves being eaten by the worms leave my soil very dark and rich and I don't even fertilize anything. I still have squash, tomatoes and cucumbers while everyone else's garden has long since died out. In fact I usually have tomatoes until frost. I also don't spray any chemicals and the only organic product I use is Bt on my squash. Next year I will probably look into using an organic fungicide so even my squash and cucumbers would last until frost. They get powdery mildew and rust.
In the woods I have been busy pulling up Japanese honeyscukle and privet. I also thin out the weedy trees and leave the oaks, dogwoods and sourwoods, etc. I agree with the gardener who loves to pull weeds about having a pair of gloves available at the door to use while I'm waiting for my husband to get ready. I also have them in my car and truck ready to be used along with a pair of pruners.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7013387

Alum, Wow, sounds like you have got your students off to a great start in gardening; you should be proud of that; something you're doing or saying is giving them an incentive to do their best! Good Luck with all you are teaching them, as many will remember this for the rest of their lives! Hey, it seems so funny that you are pulling weeds in 22 acres of woods; most gardeners only have to contend with a regular garden area! I also use leaves for compost/mulch from our big, Live Oak tree; it works great. The dark dirt that I find underneath a pile of dead leaves I call 'black gold", Ha! ...The gloves? I usually forget mine in the house, and just hate to go back inside to get them! Happy Gardening!! =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Weeds-be- gone! CountryGardens 39 Sep 1, 2009 2:21 AM
Weeds-be-gone wolfwolf 0 Sep 10, 2007 4:46 PM
I thought I was the only one! pupilpropogtr 6 Sep 7, 2009 8:34 PM
Very Humorous! NEILMUIR1 31 Sep 4, 2009 2:31 PM
Yes arejay59 0 Aug 30, 2009 11:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America