Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canadian Gardening: What wouldn't you grow again...

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 16, Views: 149
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7013498

It's September 1, and we start the downward spiral toward autumn. Although I have tried to plant mostly perenials in my gardens, I am still a sucker for those lovely, instantly gratifying annuals in hanging baskets and pots.

Every year it seems there is one or two that have been recommended or looked so lovely on the garden tags, but ultimately are a disappointment. Here are a few that I wouldn't grow again.

1. Verbena Hybrid (Superbena Burgandy) They grew far to big for the hanging baskets I grew them in with other plants. But the biggest problem was the mess they leave with spent flowes falling all over the deck. It was a Proven Winner, but it proved to be a disappointment and I pulled them out by the first week in August.

2. Impatiens. Just can't grow them anymore. :( I fell for the miniature size Rose appearance of these paticular plants. Lost one right away in the spring, and the other sat lanquidly in the pot, not growing much, with 3/4 of the blossoms blasting in bud before I got IMPATIENT myself and chucked it.

3. Nolana (Little Bells) These little guys (had them in orange and yellow) just didn't perform well, and all of them died off in the baskets before mid summer.

4. Double Cascade Blue Petunias (Priscilla) These plants were recommended here on DG early in the spring. I was really disappointed with them. I just couldn't keep up with the deadheading as there seemed to be more than normal. I also was disappointed in the amount of cascading they did. I am used to single Wave petunias that can cascade a foot or more. These ones took a long time, but only hung from the baskets a few inches. They are still growing and from far away look not too bad, but I like to keep petuniuas clean and deadheaded and I simply had to give up trying to eliminate the sticky dead flowers. Last time for them!

How about you? Was there any plants you grew this summer that you wouldn't grow again.?
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 2, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #7014989

I seeded Cosmos double click Rose Bonbon.
The pictures in the catalogue show nice fully double flowers.
The flowers turned out to be like bad examples of the seashell cosmos.
I did get one somewhat double flower which looked more like a flatter dahlia flower.
These seed dealers do not grow the new cultivars out over enough years before they place them in their catalogues.

I seeded a poppy which was called a yellow poppy in the title in the catalogue.
The description then says it is "almost Yellow" as it is a creamy colour.
The flowers are pure white. Not even a hint of creamy.

The "White Italian" sunflowers are a nice soft yellow colour.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 2, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #7016700

The petunia Superbissima Mixed are very odd, but pretty flowers. It is one that needs to be deadheaded and doesn't really cascade, so won't do those again.

I tried the Ptlotus Joey seeds. The plants remained short, bloomed for a bit but nothing spectacular and not worth the space to start early indoors.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7017221

I won't overwinter cuttings of Impatiens. The new ones I bought did well, but not the cuttings. There are other things too, but I'll have to think about the answers.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7027033

Have used cleome, purchased as plants. It's a very pretty annual, which maybe could be described as architectural. The problem is that it is a very heavy seeder and has to be weeded out, when planting something else, the following year.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 5, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7028226

Cleome is an under used plant. I have grown the annual type of cleome from seeds.
This year I grew Cleome serrulata which is supposed to be a perennial. It has not gone through a Calgary winter for me. It is not as spectacular as the spinosa kind and it has smooth stems---not the prickly ones of the annual. They are both good winter sowing candidates as they need oscillating temperatures for germination.
Cleome serrulata has mauve flowers which have the stamens poking outside the petals.
It is also called Rocky Mountain bee plant.

Caroline in Zone 3 Calgary

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 8:25 AM
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7028432

Interesting Caroline,

Like the idea of the smooth stems
and, of course, mauve.

Charlie

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7028872

Is there any variety of Cleome from which you can control the spread of seeds? I gave up growing it because there were so many that I couldn't get them all clipped off and I had so many volunteering in my garden the next year that it got out of control.

Ann
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 5, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7028930

I grow them in pots so reseeding has not been a problem for me.
My problem is that people come in to my driveway and help themselves to the seeds.

How cold does it get there? If they reseed in cold climates then perhaps I can add them to my fall seeders list. Or at least do some direct in the fall and some as a winter sow in March.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 12:22 PM

This message was edited Sep 5, 2009 12:23 PM
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #7029262

Just read for Toronto, the average winter temperature is around -6 degrees Celsius, with it sometimes reaching -10 degrees Celsius. We're between
Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe and it's a bit colder. We definitely have considerably more snow than Toronto, almost always with standing snow all winter.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7029313

It would seem, the milder the temps in the winter, the more snow you get. We hover around the freezing point for most of the winter with occassional cold blasts, but we do get dumps of significant snow, with the majority melting away in a couple days. Can be a challenge keeping the perenials with a good covering of snow throughout the season.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #7029350

Interesting to hear what other gardeners, in other regions, have to contend with.

Do predominantly perennial gardening myself, extending the early part of the season with bulbs. Go to Florida for a bit in winter, but seems our cold climate gardens are much more interesting than those down there.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7029363

Oh absolutely! Friends in Arizona are in awe of the Plants and Flowers we can grow here.
2zeus

(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #7031224

I would never again grow Nigella - one plant purchased 5 years ago when we bought this house, and the darn thing pops up all over the place in my gardens. The flowers don't last very long, and it's a rampant self-seeder.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 6, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #7031393

Nigella is better behaved in Zone 3. Reseeds ,but not invasively.
I guess there are some benefits to cold climate gardening.

Caroline (Zone 3 Calgary)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7051686

Two off my list are Galliarda 'Green Wizard' (very unspectacular and takes alot of space) and coreopsis 'Mahogany Midget' (ratty form and the colour is more orangey/bronzey than mahogany IMPO)
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 16, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7068941

Sweet Peas. just the every day garden variety Sweet peas. I would like to grow them but don't have the knack. I can grow lots of more difficult plants, but sweet peas aren't sweet for me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America