Photo by Melody

Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods: Meader vs wild types

Communities > Forums > Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the GodsReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 1, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7014266

Hi;

I do have something to say after all;

Last year when the leaves were changing, Oct. 20th,my parents, my two grown children, my husband and I all climbed into the van and took a brief trip to where my parents grew up; Horse Lick Creek and Raccoon Hallor. The forest service had made a brand new horse trail (wow) better than a horse trail, a good trial for our van, and we could go into parts of the Daniel Boone Forest that for a long time only a horse could go.
We visited the old homestead of my mother's aunt, and where my mother taught her first school. We stopped in a wide place on the road and some of us walked on up to where the old school house use to be. But my mother, daughter and I stayed with the van. I found a young persimmon tree close beside the road loaded down with persimmons, and I picked some. They were nice, soft, orange, and should have been so very good. They were not! They numbed our mouths, lips, tongues, right on down into our throats. My cream puff of a daughter was yelling at me about I had killed her, or at the very best I had made her sick! To me it was a typical persimmon, what was her problem?

Today Sept 02, I was checking out my persimmon trees that I had ordered from a local tree farm. It was the Meader. My trees are only about to my waist, even though I have had them for five years. My husband now that he is home (retired) mows. Mowing use to be my job and I must say I did a better job of not hitting my trees. One of the limbs of my persimmons was broke and as I bent down to pull it all the way off, and think of the evil things I was going to do to my husband, (something about starch and shorts) I found a big, orange, soft persimmon. Right away I took it to my mother and we both tasted it. It was sweet, good, not a hint of bitterness or that old familiar numbing of the tongue.

So I found out today that there is a big difference in getting something from a nursery or getting it out of the woods. I would not have believed it! I am truly excited about it. Although it was only ONE!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7016639

A good day and a good start to next season.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 6, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7030449

OHHHHH -- I found another one today Sept 05!!! I must be blind not to see these two persimmons on that little bitty tree. My daughter is home today too!! She has the flu and has not eat anything all day so I brought her the persimmon. She approved of it and ate it all up! You know though --- I might have mixed up what I planted - this might not be the Meader but the Itchy--- an Asian persimmon? Now, I am all confused what I planted and where I planted it .
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 6, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7030469

I read your description again and it is an American! So, it is the Meader then. But it is such a small tree to be producing anything.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The American and Asian Persimmons - Pucker Up for the Fruit of the Gods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great stuff! Candyce 14 Jan 7, 2008 10:24 AM
Persimmon trees in Arizona sycamoreshirl 2 Aug 31, 2009 6:27 PM
interested in buying persimmon plants/se batuksinh 3 Sep 1, 2009 1:34 AM
Thanks jjacques 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:53 AM
Fuyu delicious, and rel. pest free too!! zonkel 1 Aug 31, 2009 12:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America