Does anyone know the name?

Blackshear, GA

This is a short ginger(?) Is anyone familiar with it. It is only about 2 ft tall.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know the name but I want some. I love the under sides of the leaves. It looks like one of the culinary Alpinias.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Alpinia luteocarpa? would ya think?,Kenboy..lol...we potted alot of this stuff up here...will not survive out in the cold at all..Zone 10 ginger

Blackshear, GA

I found one on the internet at one time, but did not write down the name. It looks a little like 'red backed' ginger, but that gets 4-5 ft tall I think. It's different. Thanks for your help.

It grows from 2 feet tall up to maybe 5 feet tall if not touched by the frost. Mine was almost 3 feet in the pot until I divided it..lol

This message was edited Sep 1, 2009 9:53 PM

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I still want one. Maybe I need to move south.

hahahaha..ya funny,Kenboy! got plenty of room here out in the woods! pitching a tent?

el arish, FNQ, Australia

It's Alpinia luteocarpa. Ann

Blackshear, GA

Thank you everyone, that is what it looks like. Wish I was in Austrailia, visited 5 years ago in Melbourne, Loved it. We went to see the litttle penguins, so cute. What are you near?

Gainesville, FL

Has anyone ever had this ginger bloom? I have had mine for almost 8 years and it has never bloomed.

el arish, FNQ, Australia

We live two hous south of Cairns sandwiched betwwen two World Heritage areas the Great Barrier Reef and the Australian Wet Tropics. Reef and Rainforest, the best of both worlds :) Here's a link to our area : http://www.missionbeachtourism.com/Rainforest.aspx

Luteocarpa has a tiny orchid like flower. It is one of several gingers that grow wild in the mountains behind our property. Ann

Gainesville, FL

Perhaps I am missing it then. I will have to be more on the lookout.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful country, Ann. Lost an entire day in Paranella Park and another in Kuranda/Daintree. Daughter lives in Brisbane and her MIL lives in Townsville. Think I need a month or more to do the area justice.

Huntersville, NC

Moodene - I was wondering how much more south you'd need be considering you are in TX.

Then noticed the plant in question is zone 10! But GAgirl1066 has it growing - happily in GA!

Ive found some plants can survive other zones (within reason) if planted in quasi sheltered locations and heavily mulched. but I'd sure hate to loose this beauty!

btw - this comes up when googled: http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-a2.html

just my 2 cents

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Nadine is in South Texas and I am in the north, she is zone 9b and I am 8a. Texas is a big state. Then there is far north ( panhandle ) and deep south, southern point.

Gainesville, FL

I used to live in Rockport. I think except for one time that it was in the hugh 20's it almost never went much below 40 there. That's what I remember anyway. We were only a mile or 2 from the beach, very warm. Too bad I was a teenager and not into plants then, LOL

Blackshear, GA

I am on the line of 8a/8b. Usually it doesn't get below freezing here except maybe a couple of times a winter, but we have been down to 17 a couple of times that I can remember. This past winter was one time. My plant(ginger) is in a pot and I put it in the greenhouse during the winter, so I couldn't say if it was hardy here or not. I may divide a small portion and plant it next year and see how it winters in the ground.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

We lived in Ingleside for 2 years. I don't remember it getting all that cold.

Darla

I am located in the Southeast corner of Texas near Beaumont, Texas which is approx 1 hour from Lousiana border..I do have gingers that are Zone 10 n up but those will go in my hothouse..for the winter...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.