Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: A question about making simple syrup

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 15, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #7018437

I'm making sorbet from scratch (kids' new favorite summer dessert, what's not to love? ☺) and my recipes all call for simple syrup. The directions I've seen for simple syrup all say to bring the water/sugar to a boil, then cool rapidly in an ice bath. I have no time constraints where I would need this to be fast, since my juice is chillin' in the fridge anyway, so is there any reason I can't just dissolve the sugar into the water on the countertop? Seems like both methods end you up in the same place, so is there a reason to heat up the kitchen with boiling?

TIA--I appreciate it!
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

September 2, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7018451

I have always boiled mine. I never cool down in cold water however.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7018465

Somehow it always seems a touch "Smoother" when boiled. I like lemonade with simple syrup, but always think it tastes different with just sugar added.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7018492

If you boil the sugar and water together it dissolves much better and you have more homogenized sweetness throughout the food product, be it sorbet or lemonade. I started doing that with a lemonade recipe and was surprised at how different it was using a simple syrup compared to just stirring the sugar into the drink. With the latter method you always end up with some (or a lot of) sugar crystals at the bottom.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #7018678

So it's sounding like consistency is the issue here? As long as I let everything dissolve thoroughly, then, I should have the same end result. Works for me--any time I don't have to heat the kitchen up is a good thing!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7018811

But it won't dissolve thoroughly without heat, is the point. My iced green tea made the old way always has a sludge of sugar crystals in the bottom, no matter how long it's sat. Sugar dissolves more quickly and thoroughly with heat, whereas for salt, temperature doesn't matter. Learned that in high school chemistry class.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7018870

Actually, you can dissolve quite a lot of sugar (about 20 tablespoons per cup) into water at 20C (about 70F)--just takes a lot of time. Heat helps a bunch to speed things up, which is why I was assuming my recipes all tell you to boil your syrup.

Sorry, don't mean to pick nits with you after you were so kind as to offer your advice. I'm just sort of a science geek, who hasn't quite figured out how to mix science and cooking yet--but I'm working on it! :)
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #7018943

Jill, Have you been here? http://www.cookingforengineers.com/ He stirs the sugar in but uses very hot tea. http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/121/Lemon-Iced-Tea or tries it both ways and likes the simple syrup. http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/66/Limeade
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7019040

Not an engineer, (Enjoy the cookingforengineers website) but simple syrup is not the same as allowing the sugar to dissolve in cool (room temp) water. After nearly 50 years of cooking, believe me, it's not the same. Worth heating the kitchen over, IMHO!
For hummingbird feeder I dissolve in cool water, they don't seem to care, but for me...
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7019171

I did not know about that site--I think I have a new favorite place to go to! (uh oh...) but of course nothing will ever replace DG in my heart! Some great info there!

And in his recipe for limeade, he mentions the undissolved sugar issue, and the heating fix. Sounds like the only reason you would need to heat a simple syrup is to speed dissolution, and there's no other need like for longer storage or anything.

Thanks for all the help, folks!
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7019177

Sorry, Edens_g, I stepped away for a minute thinking my post went through but it hadn't.

So what do you see as the difference? I would like very much to understand this...
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7019321

I think it's smoother with simple syrup but that may just be my perception. I always make it that way? ;-)
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7019803

So it's sounding like the general consensus is that if consistency matters, like with a drink, it's definitely worth the time (and heat!) to boil up the syrup. But in my case, where it's going into sorbet which will be kind of crystal-ly anyway, it probably doesn't matter as long as I have the time to let it fully dissolve.

Does that sound about right? After all this I shall have to make some virtual sorbet to share with you all as a thank-you! ;)
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #7019934

Or maybe share the recipe? What kind of sorbet and how are you freezing it?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7020245

My impression is that when it's heated, the sugar disperses more evenly through the liquid and also, as GrammysGardenAZ says, it's smoother and silkier. I would suspect that if the recipe for sorbet calls for simple syrup, failing to heat it would result in the sugar being mixed unevenly in the finished product, so that one spoonful might be sweeter than another. Sort of like a snow cone, where the flavoring and sweetness ends up mostly at the bottom because it's heavier.

When I fill my hummingbird feeders I line both of them up and fill alternately, first one and then the other and then back and forth again several times until I'm done, because if I don't heat the solution well the sugar tends to be at the bottom of the cup and I don't want one feeder to get all the sugar.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7022324

in simple terms, when sugar is heated ----> sugar increases in VOLUME. hope that answers ur ????
http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index.php?title=the_logic_of_quiescently_frozen_food&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrup
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/home/2009/01/13/basic-cooking-how-to-make-simple-syrup/
edited to add more links
http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2009/08/the_science_of_simple_syrup.php#
http://blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2009/05/simple-trick-to-make-simple-syrup.html

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 5:30 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America