Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ferns, Fungi and Mosses: Mushroom ID... several crazy-looking ones!

Communities > Forums > Ferns, Fungi and Mosses
bookmark
Forum: Ferns, Fungi and MossesReplies: 12, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 3, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7019192

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the fern/fungi forum but today as I was walking around in the wooded part of our property, I was astonished to see so many colorful mushrooms. I'm not quite sure why so many variations would pop up in such a small area, other than it's sort of a forest floor setting so it's obviously fungi-friendly.

Any ideas on what any of these are? I'm only posting a few of at least a dozen wildly different-looking mushrooms. I'm curious to know what they are, but more importantly, am wondering how many of these could be poisonous... I have three curious pups who have free run of the property, and I cringe to think of them eating one of these enticing-looking things.

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 3, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7019203

This one was quite blue... I kicked this one over because it looked like a doughnut-shaped piece of blue styrofoam or something, but nope, it was another fungus.

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG

MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 3, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7019208

Another one...

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG

MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 3, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7019214

Yet another... sorry for the photo overload, but they're all so different-looking!

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG

MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 3, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7019268

I'll stop now... thanks for bearing with my crazy 'shrooms! Would love any ideas as to what these could be...

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG

MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 3, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7019278

Oops, I lied, just one more...

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG

ChuLin
Stevens Point, WI

September 7, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7037049

MrsJohnnyG; I'm not a mushroom person (except for hunting and eating morrells in So Indiana as a kid). I've lived lots of places and always been an outdoors walker and hiker, and I have NEVER EVER seen a blue mushroom before. Love it...whatever it is. Will do some research. ChuLin
MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 8, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #7039521

Thank you for replying! Since I posted these I've seen even more on our property and I'm dying to know what some of them are... I appreciate your help!
ChuLin
Stevens Point, WI

September 8, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7039746

Hi, I wanted to tell you that I found a site on the web that looks very promising for identifying mushrooms, although I have not had time to explore it yet. It is Rogersmushrooms.com. You might want to look at this and see if you can identify any of your...especially the blue one! Hope this will help. ChuLin
MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 8, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7040274

Ooh, thank you! I will check it out and see if they can help!
MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

September 8, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7040318

Hmm, I'm wondering if this could be the blue one... I'll have to go find more like it and check them out more closely.
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6787~source~gallerychooserresult.asp
What an awesome website! I love that it's searchable by characteristics etc.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7040420

We love the 'photo overload' on this forum :) Some gorgeous specimens there and lovely photos!
bellzeybubba
Bastrop, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #7061449

Years ago when mushroom hunting I found a large patch of Cortinarius mushrooms that ranged in color from power-blue to a gorgeous lavender. Took my breath away. Several Cortinarius species can be blue, you might check them out. I don't believe they are poisonous, but they're not known to be good edibles either.

The 4th one you posted looks like it could be a bolete - did you happen to look underneath it, did it have a gilled cap or little pores? Some boletes are choice edibles, but a few are poisonous.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America