Mushroom ID... several crazy-looking ones!

Dallas, GA

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the fern/fungi forum but today as I was walking around in the wooded part of our property, I was astonished to see so many colorful mushrooms. I'm not quite sure why so many variations would pop up in such a small area, other than it's sort of a forest floor setting so it's obviously fungi-friendly.

Any ideas on what any of these are? I'm only posting a few of at least a dozen wildly different-looking mushrooms. I'm curious to know what they are, but more importantly, am wondering how many of these could be poisonous... I have three curious pups who have free run of the property, and I cringe to think of them eating one of these enticing-looking things.

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

This one was quite blue... I kicked this one over because it looked like a doughnut-shaped piece of blue styrofoam or something, but nope, it was another fungus.

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

Another one...

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

Yet another... sorry for the photo overload, but they're all so different-looking!

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

I'll stop now... thanks for bearing with my crazy 'shrooms! Would love any ideas as to what these could be.....

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Dallas, GA

Oops, I lied, just one more...

Thumbnail by MrsJohnnyG
Stevens Point, WI

MrsJohnnyG; I'm not a mushroom person (except for hunting and eating morrells in So Indiana as a kid). I've lived lots of places and always been an outdoors walker and hiker, and I have NEVER EVER seen a blue mushroom before. Love it...whatever it is. Will do some research. ChuLin

Dallas, GA

Thank you for replying! Since I posted these I've seen even more on our property and I'm dying to know what some of them are... I appreciate your help!

Stevens Point, WI

Hi, I wanted to tell you that I found a site on the web that looks very promising for identifying mushrooms, although I have not had time to explore it yet. It is Rogersmushrooms.com. You might want to look at this and see if you can identify any of your...especially the blue one! Hope this will help. ChuLin

Dallas, GA

Ooh, thank you! I will check it out and see if they can help!

Dallas, GA

Hmm, I'm wondering if this could be the blue one... I'll have to go find more like it and check them out more closely.
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6787~source~gallerychooserresult.asp
What an awesome website! I love that it's searchable by characteristics etc.

Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

We love the 'photo overload' on this forum :) Some gorgeous specimens there and lovely photos!

Bastrop, TX(Zone 8b)

Years ago when mushroom hunting I found a large patch of Cortinarius mushrooms that ranged in color from power-blue to a gorgeous lavender. Took my breath away. Several Cortinarius species can be blue, you might check them out. I don't believe they are poisonous, but they're not known to be good edibles either.

The 4th one you posted looks like it could be a bolete - did you happen to look underneath it, did it have a gilled cap or little pores? Some boletes are choice edibles, but a few are poisonous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.