Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Fuchsias: Name That Fuchsia! For that mystery fuchsia in your garden.

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 125, Views: 1,023
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #7019500

One of the reasons I have been SO looking forward to a fuchsia forum where we could all help each other with our discussions and photos, is that I go in search of old-fashioned upright hardy fuchsias in the older gardens I pass in my travels.
If I am allowed to take a cutting or two, and if that cutting grows, then occasionally I wind up with a beautiful bush with no identity.
Larry was one of those, but now I know his real name is Cardinal.
Abby Rose is another. She though, was a generic purchased at a hardware store with the simple label of, "Hardy Fuchsia." For now, she is named after my niece.
And sometimes customers in retail nurseries pull the tag out of plants and then put them back in the wrong pot... I think we have all experienced the surprise of discovering that what we are growing bears no resemblance to what the tag says!
So I will start this thread with a mystery upright fuchsia which has a hand-written tag naming it
'Burgandy Beauty'
There is no recognized variety of fuchsia with this name that I have been able to find. And my favorite source for fuchsia variety information is FindThatFuchsia which has a list of over 10,000 recognized varieties. Here is the link, I hope we all help Rick out in his efforts there.

http://www.findthatfuchsia.info/

If anyone can help me confirm the identity of this fuchsia, please do!
And please post your mystery fuchsias here also ;-)

Thumbnail by PedricksCorner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #7026689

hummer_girl, I am hoping you will be able to help solve a mystery for me with all of the books you have been researching. Fuchsias are divided into 12 Sections.
Section Eufuchsia, is said to include boliviana, boliviana alba, tryphylla (Gartenmeister Bonstedt), denticulata, and the one I am concerned about - carymbiflora.
Wikepedia and FindThatFuchsia don't have a photo of carymbiflora. Here in the Plant Files, it is listed as synonymous with boliviana. But when I googled it, I got a website with an article about it, refering to it as a different and newly named species seperate from boliviana. I'd like to add it here as seperate from boliviana. Do the books say much about species and do they have anything to say about this conflict?
The plant I just purchased has a label which identifies it as Fuchsia carymbiflora...
I am excited because the fruit of this one is sold in south american fruit markets and is supposed to have a fig like flavor!
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7028575

PC, I like the plant a lot, and thanks for posting the findthatfuchsia website. Jim
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7028919

I use his website practically every single day! But who knows, maybe someday the fuchsia section of DavesGarden will rival his. I am at least hoping we can get all the ones without photos, represented!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #7045364

Here is another one. I didn't buy it, but I'd like to. The tag says "Alta" and it certainly looks like one that can get big and fast. I love the colors on this upright, but I cannot verify that an fuchsia called "Alta" exists. Does anyone have any idea what it's real name could be, or have your heard of this fuchsia somewhere?

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #7045369

And here is a closer shot.

Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7054133

I thought this was Army Nurse untill I looked it up?????

Thumbnail by Azorina

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #7054324

See what I mean!? I hate that when that happens!!
Don't you think your "Army Nurse" looks allot like my "Burgandy Beauty?"
I've been in contact with the Northwest Fuchsia Society and they have agreed to try and help me identify a couple of my fuchsias. So I will let you all know what happens.
This winter, I hope to create a small database that will let us search via sepal and corolla colors and various other attributes.
Here is a photo of the one I call "Abby Rose."

hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7056298

P.C.: I just got around to reading this thread. I presently have 5 fuchsia books to look through, and will try to help with your carymbiflora dilemma. Will probably take me several days. Be patient.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7056809

Hi All
I have been admiring this Fuchsia for several years now in a public garden. I have asked several people who tend to the garden and they don't know which Fuchsia it is. What has attracted me to this one is the size of it's blooms. It's hardy here in my zone.
Here are some photos taken today.

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7056812

Stem and Foliage

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7056814

Another view

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7056839

This might give you some reference to the size of the blooms.
They are quite large and bold looking! LOL
Gosh my arm looks pale!
:)

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #7056893

Hi hummer_girl,
The Northwest Fuchsia Society sent me the official list of nomenclature for fuchsia species written by Paul E. Berry, the authority on fuchsia species. Erick and Salli Dahl were certain that this list is the final word on the 12 Sections, which species belongs in each section and which species names are no long supposed to be used. I was very dissappointed but I agree with them that it is important to try and keep these things straight. Part of the nature of any science, especially one like botany, is that the facts are continueously being discovered and their connections re-arranged to fit new facts. Books can become outdated before they even hit print!

Fuchsia boliviana - Carriere (1876) - Origins: Mex. To S. Amer. (Peru, Bol., Arg.)

F. boliviana var. boliviana (replaces these below)

Fuchsia boliviana forma puberulenta Munz (1943)
Fuchsia boliviana var. typica Munz (1943)

F. boliviana var. luxurians - I.M. Johnst. (1925) (replaces these below)

Fuchsia corymbiflora alba Harrison (1849)
Fuchsia cuspidata Fawcett & Rendle (1926)

According to this, the red boliviana with the tag Fuchsia corymbiflora would actually be
F. boliviana var. boliviana or just F. boliviana
And what most people call Fuchsia boliviana alba should actually be:
F. boliviana var. luxurians or F. bolivina va. alba
(just reread their letter, they say luxurians and alba are one in the same)
The names which are not supposed to be used anymore are the ones farthest indented. You can't see it here, but on the list they sent me, those names are green. (And the indentation disappeared after posting this!)
I think it is going to be very difficult to get people to not use the name F. boliviana alba. ( Now I see that may not be necessary, just giving up corymbiflora)
My delima was that the only reference to corymbiflora was an alba, and mine is certainly not an alba.
I do have both boliviana's though. The red and the white ;-)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2009 5:21 PM
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7056919

That's my Larry!!! I was looking for Jerusalem Artichokes last year and had to drive way out farther into the boonies than I already live, down a dirt road, over a wooden bridgen, and wander into six foot high weeds! Larry and his wife live in a little trailer surrounded by a handmade wooden deck bigger than the trailer, hidden in the tall weeds...
I saw this fuchsia and asked for some cuttings. I couldn't figure out what it was, so I called it Larry. Next to Magellanica, it is the strongest, fastest growing fuchsia I have seen in almost 30 years of growing fuchsias! And it can handle both extremes in cold and heat. I was buying new varieties this summer and one of them is named Cardinal. Well, it didn't take me long to see that it was Larry and Larry was Cardinal!!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7056942

Well Now...How Cool is that!!
Love your little Larry story too.
You have quite the beautiful specimen of 'Cardinal'
Thanks so much PedricksC!

I must agree that it handles the heat well and this years Heat wave proved it.
Gosh, now I can sleep after several years of wondering what this Fuchsia is... LOL
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7056960

Ahhh, to be honest with you, I still think of him as Larry! I am glad to know his real name, but Larry was cooler! I am going to name the next mystery fuchsia after myself, but only if it is a blue one ;-)
I'll sleep better when I figure out what Burgandy Beauty's real name is ;-D
hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7063862

P.C.: I put all this together before I came back to this thread and saw your info from the NWFS, so I’m not going to edit. Maybe you’ll find something in the following that will help.

The following info taken from "Fuchsias; The Complete Guide by Edwin Goulding, copyright 2002.
The species Fuchsia corymbiflora is in Section Fuchsia. Within Section Fuchsia, there are 13 named groups + 1 named Anomalous species group. F. corymbiflora is 1 of 4 species listed in the F. boliviana group (see below).

F. corymbiflora comes from Peru and was discovered in 1802 by Ruiz and Pavon. (F. boliviana comes from Bolivia and was not discovered until 1876 by Carriere)

[quote]F. corymbiflora forms erect or scandent shrubs up to 4 metres tall. Young growth is hairy. Leaves are opposite or occasionally ternate. Flowers are usually produced in terminal, pendant racemes. The funnelform tubes reach 6.5 cm long and .08 cm at their widest. Sepals are 1.5 cm long. Both are bright pink or scarlet. Petals are 1.7 cm in length and rather darker in colour. This species has only recently come back into cultivation and is most easily differentiated from F. boliviana and its variants by the plum-like shape of its seed pods.
Description: Berry, P. (1982), pp. 170-71
Illustration: Munz, P.A. (1970), p 119, fig 38.[/quote]

From the Bibliography:
[quote]BERRY, P.E., 'The Systematics and Evolution of Fuchsia Section Fuchsia', in Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden,
Vol.69, 1982, pp 1-198, ISSN 0026-6493-82-0001-0198.
MUNZ, P.A., A Revision of the Genus Fuchsia (Onagraceae), Johnson Reprint Corporation, New York, U.S.A., Reprinted 1970, ISBN 0-85409-393-1[/quote]

The Goulding book was published in 2002.
He states [quote]Fuchsias in this section were originally placed in the section Eufuchsia by Phillip A. Munz (1970). His work, "A Revision of the Genus Fuchsia (Onagraceae)", has been referred to in compiling this section. Paul Berry (1982) has reorganized them into fourteen groups that have broadly similar features.[/quote]
The groups are:
F. decussata (4 species)
F. loxensis (5 species)
F. nigricans (6 species)
F. macrophylla (4 species)
F. putumayensis (5 species)
F. petiolaris (7 species)
F. venusta (6 species)
F. denticulata (6 species)
F. simplicicaulis (4 species)
F. sessilifolia (2 species)
F. tincta (3 species)
F. boliviana (4 species; F. boliviana, F. corymbiflora, F. mathewsii, F. wurdackii)
F. dependens (6 species)
+ the 14th group called: Anomalous species group (3 species; F. pringsheimii, F. triphylla, F. verrucosa)

The following info taken from "Fuchsias; A practical guide to cultivating fuchsias, with over 450 beautiful photographs and illustrations" by John Nicholass, copyright 2008.
F. corymbiflora was first listed in the records of Kew Gardens in 1840.
This author lists Section Fuchsia (Eufuchsia) as including 13 subgroups:
F. boliviana
F. decussata
F. denticulata
F. loxensis
F. macrophylla
F. pallescens
F. vulcanica
F. abrupta
F. sessilifolia
F. tincta
F. venusta
F. triphylla
The author does not tell us how many species are found within his subgroups or their names.

The Nicholass book also has this reference: F. boliviana var. alba can be synonymous with F. corymbiflora alba.

In the 5 fuchsia books I have, these were the only references I could find for F. corymbiflora, and only the 1 reference to the variants being synonymous.

These books were published 6 years apart. Are the fuchsia group discrepancies due to renaming during that time, or 1 persons interpretation being different than anothers? When comparing the value of information provided in each book, I found the Goulding book to be better, but I think a really good fuchsia reference library needs to include both books, because the Nicholass book covers all aspects of fuchsia cultivation in a way that is targeted to a more visual audience, one who skips the tech-speak for the color pics and capsulated how-to‘s.

When I googled Fuchsia corymbiflora I found a lot of web pages. Some good, some not. Some accurate, some not. Some questionable.

Here's some web links you might find useful:

Paxton's Magazine of Botany, and Register of Flowering Plants
8th Volume
http://books.google.com/books?id=vF8CAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=fuchsia+corymbiflora&source=bl&ots=82Gm0F_tFV&sig=fxnCfWryqIeK8j_ZsVPxfrIHaio&hl=en&ei=RhStSsjJKpK2Nt687fIN&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=fuchsia%20corymbiflora&f=false

Tropicos
http://www.tropicos.org/Name/23200059

National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
http://botany.si.edu/Onagraceae/result.cfm?myFrom=tree&genus=Fuchsia
http://botany.si.edu/Onagraceae/speciesdescr.cfm?myID=3834

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Vine%20Fuchsia.html
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7064043

Hi hummer_girl, my conflict began because the plant I purchased with the label F. coymbiflora, is not an alba.
I am so glad you posted the information here above, it is going to be useful for allot of people. We should have a thread about the history and nomenclature of fuchsias!

This is the heading to the list sent to me by the Western Fuchisa Species Society, a subgroup of the Northwest Fuchsia Society. These people have been studying fuchsias for many years and I am assuming that the societies are more up to date on what is coming out of the universities, than most people would be.
I've just been growing them ;-) I never considered diving into various species. But they are certainly becoming a big interest right now!

SECTIONS AND SPECIES OF FUCHSIA
by Paul E. Berry
October 2005; updated 2007

Dr. Paul Berry- Professor in the Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Taxonomist of Genus Fuchsia, U of Michigan.

12 sections; 107 recognized species; 119 taxa (counting recognized subspecies., botanical varieties… 3 more to be added once published.)

As you can see, the list I was sent is more recent. It is not unusual for botanists to decide that what was once considered two species, is actually one. Or that one should be spit into two. Plants can take on dramatically different forms just because of the influence of the enviroment they are in.
The section of this list regarding boliviana is in a post above.
According to it, corymbiflora should not be use anymore.
hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7064147

Fuchsais are much more complicated than I ever imagined! The germ of an idea, whether or not I could grow a hardy fuchsia in my garden, is what started me down the fuchsia forum path. I never thought a month later I would be doing research on sections, groups, subgroups... I need a nap.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #7064199

Me too! I just love fuchsias and have been growing them for decades. I never imagined I'd be learning about how heat hardy or how cold hardy this or that one could be. I am getting an education in fuchsias too!
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2009
6:41 AM

Post #7069489

I've loved hardy fuchsia for years...but thanks to DG my passion for them has been rekindled. Of course this time of year is inspiring as well not to mention all the varieties that have become available.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7070911

Me too! I first fell in love with them when I was working for a big nursery in the 1980's. They would leave what hadn't sold, out in the open all winter long. The hanging baskets would look awful by early spring, but the hardy upright would already be blooming!
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #7074202

Linda - since you're in my area, please tell how you overwinter the more tender varieties. Or do you have a GH?
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #7080203

Katye Unfortunately I do not have a GH. It is kind of a sink or swim thing going on here. I'm definately Zone 8a but I have a small area next to my house that is a little micro 8b or 9. Since I'm severly afflicted by zone denial I tend to take chances. Often I will use Gunnera leaves to mulch the more "iffy" plants. I have had great success with hardy fuchsias some of the more tender ones seem to benefit from any overhead protection like evergreen trees and such... I have a variety called "display" I've had for 8 or 9 years that I may loose because I just found out it is only hardy to Zone 9 (chuckle)-thanks for asking.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #7080240

Might have missed it if someone said it, but if not, how about "Border Queen"?? Going thru Fuchsia Lady's catalog. Have you looked at hers? She is in Covington, Washington, outside of Seattle.

Fuchsia Lady.com

Jeanette
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7081249

Jeanette, the
http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/
Has a great list of both winter and heat hardy fuchsias. I don't actually live in the zone associated with my zip code. My zip code covers a large area and I am on the outskirts of it. It snows here sometimes and it freezes often enough to make my fruit trees produce well. Something for instance, cherries must have.
Like Azorina, I take chances. Things most people would bring indoors, I leave outside to sink or swim. And like Azorina, I use the leaves from all of the decidous fruit trees to pile up around all the fuchsias as high as I can. Sometimes I purchase a bale or two of alfalfa to add to that.
Anyway, they have Border Queen on their winter hardy list! But check them out, as they have varieties rated hardier than this one.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7085779

This is a current picture of one of my "hardy" fuschias. Has been in the ground for at least three years. Is about 24 inches tall. PC thought it might be Charlie Girl?

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7085790

A closer look...

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7085923

I can't say for certain, there are so many with such slight variations. But yes, it certainly looks like Charlie Girl to me ;-)
Here she is after our recent heat wave that burned a few of the others around her.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7085969

Okay, you made me go outside and look. Because the partially open blossoms on yours show a bluer corolla and your sepals appear darker. But remember, mine is in the full sun, which causes some differences in colors. It can even affect how large the flowers get for a while when it has been hot for a long time.
Let me know if you find another that looks closer. I don't have Army Nurse. What do you think? Could yours be Army Nurse?
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #7086214

I plead stupidity, but I don't know what you call the little hangy down things. At any rate yours are definitely different from the ones on mine. I have only red tips.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7087741

I confess, I think of the top part (sepals) as the dress, and the "hangy down things" (corolla) as the skirt ;-)
You are right, your sepals are redder and I think the new corollas before they fully open, are bluer than Charlie Girl. My other thought was Winston Churchill.
As I search for other varieties, I will keep yours in mind and see if we can't come up with a match!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #7155065

I have been working on a searchable list for fuchsias. One that combines information from a variety of souces and will allow fuchsia enthusiasts to search for a combination of criteria. Since I only collect upright fuchsias, my little database is only going to include those and some which can go either way.
The Northwest Fuchsia Society has a wonderful site for cold hardy fuchsias and great photos! They even have the heights cold hardy upright fuchsias can expect to reach in cold climates. But not in warmer ones. And I have found that my uprights get at least 1-2 feet taller. They also have a heat hardy list, but with no photos and no heights...
FindThatFuchsia has a list of over 11,000 known varieties!!!! And many photos. Plus he has the hybridizer and the year they were hybridized. But no heights and/or hardiness data in the main list. And no way to search or filter the list. Even so, it is a stunning job he has accomplished and I hope more people support his efforts.
So, my database will allow you to ask for instance, all upright fuchsias with semi-double flowers, 2-3 feet tall, with pink sepals and violet corollas. Then it will be up to you to try and find photos to match the names, ha, ha! But at least you will have a list of names to use in your search here in the Plant Files ;-)
Right now, it is an Excel file with filters. And it has over 800 entries from A to Z. As soon as I at least have the first few letters of the alphabet as complete as I can, I will create a new website just for it. Just info, nothing more.
I know a few people are waiting on this! So this is just a little update. I'll have more time to devote to it soon.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #7257218

Okay, here is another one I need to figure out the name of! It can't possibly be what it's tag says it is. That one is supposed to be white and "wine" colored. Hmmmm, this looks blue to me ;-D No, it isn't Quasar, I have a large Quasar and it is different. For one thing, these blossoms are nowhere near the size of Quasar blossoms.
So if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #7257308

Those blossoms look pretty darned big to me, sure it isn't Quasar?? I have had Quasar, and I have had another that it could be, but I can't think of the name right now. Got it from the Fuchsia Lady in Covington, WA. Think she might even have lists sorted by color? Can't remember.

Jeanette
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #7258506

Thanks, I have been over and over her catalog, the Northwest Fuchsia Society site, the Monniers site, and a few others. It isn't there. I have a large Quasar in a 15 gallon container. These are only about half the size of a Quasar blossom. And a bit of a different blue.
I think I am going to have to through the FindThatFuchsia site, page by page!
Here is my Quasar.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7258691

That is beautiful. I really like your set up. These all uprights? Do you have some kind of roof on the framework? How big is the area where you have them? Very nice.

Jeanette
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7260149

Thank-you! Yes, my entire collection is all uprights. No roof, they are all out in the full sun. Only the ones in the front yard get late afternoon shade from the trees. The full sun helps keep them nice and compact, plus it keeps them full of blooms.
The majority of my collection is in 15 gallon containers like this one, due to problems with gophers. In fact, I just lost my original White Wonder to gophers. Fortunately, I have two others. At least the snails don't like them ;-D
I have 125 varieties, ha, ha, I will have to measure how much space they are taking up!
Hmm, maybe not, as I am about to add to that number...I am not sure I want to know. Especially since I need to get my winter veggies into the ground.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7261244

Do you have any kind of mister on them? Fuchsias do really good in the Seattle area. I moved over to the East side of Washington state which is hotter, colder, and hardly any humidity except when it rains. So they don't do so good here.

What kind of watering system do you have?

Jeanette
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7261650

I don't have any misting system or watering system. I am old fashioned, I water by hand. Especially since the majority of them are in containers. Each fuchsia has a different growth pattern and rate of growth. So they get dry at different rates. Actually, I should say, almost dry, as I never, ever let them get dry.
Upright fuchsias do just fine out in the full sun if they have a large healthy root system in place. I do not grow any hanging baskets. In my book, hanging baskets have given fuchsias a bad name as tempermental and delicate. Something many people treat as an annual and throw away when it either gets too hot for them in those little pots swinging in the heat, or the icy cold of winter. My Voodoo is almost 15 years old!!
We've started two threads. One about heat hardy fuchsias and one about cold hardy fuchsias. Plus there is one about hardy uprights in the ground, but it doesn't state whether that is hardy for cold or hardy for heat. There seems to be two camps with little imbetween. Sounds like you would need both. A fuchsia which has proven to be both heat hardy and winter hardy.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7262361

Well, fuchsias are just like any other plant. They do different things in different climates. I don't think because they don't winter over good that you can say they should not be grown in the Puget Sound area. Or that wimps are grown there. Or that hanging basket fuchsias are wimps. And no, they are not grown in little tiny pots.

I guess compared to your 15 gallon pots the hanging baskets would be considered that, but they are fed, watered, and taken care of. Yes, treated as an annual. Like any other plant, or area, you have perennials that are grown year around in zone 9, but are annuals in zones below that.

Jeqanette

hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7263836

ouch!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7263957

Jnette, I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I certainly didn't intend to insult anyone.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7264529

LOL, read back over my post and I really didn't mean to sound so brusk. Sincerely, smile when you say that!! : )

Guess I just meant to say that we don't have the long growing season that you do down there. Jeanette

This message was edited Nov 11, 2009 1:06 PM
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #7265973

That is certainly understandable. Have you ever visited the Northwest Fuchsia Society website? It is in a sticky at the beginning of the forum. They have good info on how to overwinter some of the hardier fuchsias.
Allot of people in cold zones like yours, are trying various different means of getting the fuchsias they love through their winters :-)
They have inspired me to try something I would have been quick to say was impossible before I began reading the forums here and the notes people post to specific varieties of fuchsias in the Plant Files. I am growing a few selected varieties in a sunny southern facing window in my livingroom. So far, so good. I was going to post photos of the new growth today, but ran out of time. Tomorrow they will be in the threads about propigation and I am going to start a new thread about growing fuchsias indoors.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #7266024

That would be very interesting. Many, many years ago we used to grow them as houseplants in the house, but it has been so many years, and I was very young, that I don't remember anything about it. I believe it was my mother and grandmother who did that.

I will look in the propagation thread and am looking forward to the new one.

I haven't been on their site for quite a while. I used to order my fuchsias from them in the spring, however, the last several years have been able to arrange with my daughter to get them for me on her spring visit to me. She lives fairly close to their facility. 2 years ago I went over and picked out my own.

Their plants are not expensive, but the shipping is a lot. But, they do pack them very good and that means a lot. Somehow, I can't quite imagine their being able to figure out growing fuchsias in my climate of 5b.

Jeanette
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 17, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7280815

The searchable list is making progress! I also added a field for into like whether or not a cultivar is a triphylla or encliandra cultivar. There is a field for single, small single, semi-double, and double blossoms.
You will be able to sort it for cultivars that are both heat and cold hardy :-)
And to me, the best part is being able to sort if for white sepals and blue corolllas! My favorite ;-D
Some of the descriptions for the colors can be so detailed. So I added two more fields to make it easier to sort without losing the detail. For example, there are two fields for the sepals and two fields for the corollas. You can ask for all the ones with white sepals and then narrow it down from there if you wish by using the second field with all the detail. Such as "White Tipped Green."
The list of uprights is over 1,000 now and I just need to finish putting in all the info for each one. I couldn't always find things like height and hardiness, so there are allot of blanks.
Next, I need to figure out how to upload it to a generic website for everyone to use.
Still trying to figure out what it should be named.
Maybe, UprightFuchsias.info, since it will only have information, nothing else. Give me some suggestions!
And I hope by next spring, we will all be filling in the blanks here in the PlantFiles! All of those fuchsia varieties with no photos is SO sad!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7294498

Thanks for all the work you are doing in the PlantFiles, PC!

Here is a Fuchsia I don't seem to have any luck finding. It truly has a unique color which I have no words for in describing. Maybe someone will recognize it!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7294504

Another view

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7294576

Hi Kin, you mean you want to buy it, or you want the name of it? Jeanette

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7294611

Hi, Jnette!
LOL...I want the name of it & will probably buy it also!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7294657

Well, it sure looks familiar. Jeanette
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7296794

Jeanette, GGKin, I would like to buy it, it has the coloration of the Flower Scape, Bud, Flowers, of one of my new hosta hybrids, Pedricks Corner, do you have this one? Jim

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #7298412

I'm still searching...No luck so far
Jim, that sounds like a wonderful looking Hosta
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7298453

No, I don't have that one. But from the hundreds and hundreds of photos and descriptions I have been looking at for the fuchsia database, I know they call that color Aubergine. So I will do a search for Aubergine and see what comes up. I know I have seen it also. I think it might even be a species.
The database is on another computer, so I can search on this one and type info into the other. I'll get back to you.
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7298484

PC, that's a good name for the Hosta 'Aubergine' is that 4 or 5 syllables? like Lambourgine? Jim GardenGuyKin, yes, it is a pretty one, I had a mass of comments on the hosta hybridizing forum called hostapix.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #7298540

I am learning allot about the names people use for colors!!
In order to apply the simple color red to it's many variations, I had to learn what "cerise" is (French for cherry), etc.
Aubergine is a very, very old Indo-European word for Eggplant! And Eggplants are called Aubergines in many areas of Europe.
I have only completely filled in up to the letter D. With some for every letter all the way to Z. Even so, I came up with 12 upright fuchsias described as having Aubergine sepals and corollas.
Unfortunately, there are allot of old photos out there which are misleading in their colors. And the Aubergine doesn't always show correctly. But the one that also had an elongated sepal like GGK's fuchsia, was Whitenights Amethyst. The best photo I could find of it is at FindThatFuchsia. Some of the others make it look pink.
In defense of some of the older photos, it took me over a year to get a photo of my Delta's Groom that I felt was true to it's color. It is also Aubergine.
Let me know what you think GGK. And as I come across more of them, I will let you know.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 8:25 PM

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #7298995

Thanks for your searching efforts, PC!
Also thanks for the description of Colors.

I looked at Whitenights Amethyst but found several photos with completely different looking plants. So...I'm not certain on it being this cultivar. I plan on attending a local AFS meeting on Monday and will certainly see if someone there can ID it for me.

Now for Color
I was searching for a (color wheel) that they may use in the Fuchsia Society for description or judging. I came up with nothing. Have you ever seen one, PC?

I will keep you informed when I find out which one this is. I really like it's color and JUST must have one! LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7299416

ggk, I sent pc an email last night late about Aubergine color by Fuchsia Lady, Earthworks, in Covington. If you go into trailing fuchsia colors under Aubergine, there are several different ones, but one looks somewhat, pretty close, to what she is looking for.

Jeanette
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7300284

GGK, no, I have never heard of that color wheel! I would love to see one!
I paint and I am currently teaching a small group of elementary students to paint. We have been studying the color wheel and how to make our own colors.
Something I insist they learn even though there are so many premixed colors available today. I want them to understand how those colors are made.
I assumed your fuchsia was an upright, if it is a trailer, then I won't have any idea ;-)

I will be very interested in knowing what the name of your fuchsia is as well.
As I continue down the alphabet, I will keep my eyes pealed.

Meanwhile, here is a list of those I found last night which have Aubergine sepals and corollas. But remember, old photos and poorly taken photos, are not going to show you true Aubergine. So in your case, I would trust the description and focus on the shape of the flower and the leaves for a more definate identification. I left out the ones that had Dark Aubergine for the corolla.
Delta's Robjin
Delta's Sprinkler
Foline
Fuchiade '88
Hobo
Jim Muncaster
Lechlade Magician
Olympic's Sunset
White Knight's Amethyst

PS GGK, and thank-you for all of your work on adding to the Plant Files as well! Nice new additions. And I am SO glad you also posted a photo of Margaret as a bush. That is one of my personal goals. To provide photos of the uprights as bushes, not just the close-ups we always see. Each bush has such an individual growth pattern.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2009 12:28 PM

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7305769

Well...
Sorry I have not gotten back to you! It's a bit chaotic here for me maybe it will slow down! LOL
Not likely with the Holidays near.
Thanks for all your input, PC.
This is what I believe it to be with descriptions and some photos to judge it by.
Zulu King
http://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/2418111/product/Hardy%20Fuchsia%20Zulu%20King

I also found out that a local Nursery picked up Monnier's Gardens Fuchsia Collection. Here is a link to their Website and collection. I also think they have an excellent collection and photos are very good! Take a look...
http://www.storesonlinepro.com/store/2418111/fuchsiacatalogue
http://davesgarden.com/products/go/view/7577/

I believe I will be heading down that way this weekend for a look!!! OH boy I believe I'm gonna get my wallet in trouble...He he he
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 24, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7306150

I feel so sorry for you GGK!!! ;-)
And I believe you are correct, it certainly looks exactly like Zulu King!
Of course, it would turn out to be the very last upright fuchsia on the list I have so far!
And that color is often refered to as Aubergine. If you look at my photos of Delta's Groom in the plant files, you see how close the colors are.
It has made me wonder if I ought not to use Aubergine and Carmine in the fields. And just use purple and then people could use Aubergine or Carmine or whatever, in the second field to narrow their search...
I have been making a wish list of hardy uprights also. Gee whiz...
Have fun!! We will alll be waiting to see what you pick out!
hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7308736

GGK: you are so bad!!! Oh, how you get me in trouble by listing another fuchsia source!

I went to the Fry Road Nursery link you listed for the fuchsia collection that came from Monniers. I've already placed a "reserve for me" order for next spring:

F. boliviana
F. hatschbachii

And Ann, at the nursery, told me F. denticulata is Neon Tricolor, which I bought from Earthworks last month, which I plan to take more cuttings off of. So it doesn't look like I'll be needing a cutting from your Neon after all! (Thank you for the offer, though.) Ann also said F. fulgens is like a first cousion to Neon and the flowers are very similar.

Fry Road doesn't have all their pictures posted, yet, but I've already seen a couple more plants that have caught my interest.

So, so bad!!!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7310343

Wonderful information on this thread. Thanks PC and hummer_girl for all the great links and information.
Will post photo of the one I have but lost label for. Ooops!
Back tomorrow with photo.
WIB!
SW

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 26, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7310606

HG, I'm Soooo sorry! SNicker..snicker!!
That's good new about Neon and I'm sure your going to enjoy it next year. I was happy to hear from Ann also. I met her back in September at Monnier's and will be seeing her again this weekend. I hope to share some photos with you all.
Take care and may everyone have a memorable Thanksgiving.
SW, will look forward to seeing your unnamed Fuchsia. We are doing really good so far with ID's.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7314458

GGK,
Here you go. This is a small almost lavender-pink color. First photo shows whole plant. No name tag, so either I buried it, or my dog ate it.
I'm sure it came with one, but I can't find it now. Sigh!
Thanks for the help all!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7314464

Here is a close up.
Thanks again.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7315190

Hei, SW...
I bet PC will know what it is right off the bat! I believe it's Diana Wright
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/176538/
It looks great and if it is Diana Wright she can get quite large

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7315207

WHITENIGHT'S PEARL Sepals Pale Pink tipped green Corolla
is another possibility
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82789/

This message was edited Nov 27, 2009 6:46 PM
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #7315416

Neither name is ringing a bell, so I guess I'll wait for PC to chime in. : - )
I just think it is a very dainty fuchsia. Not fragile mind you, but dainty.
Thanks for your help GGK, with the links, but until I'm allowed out to the gh to look I can't tell for sure.
(I've got the flu, and a scary good, God Daughter! LOL!)
WIB,
SW

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7315482

I sure hope you feel better Soon!
Does F. magellancia Alba ring a bell?
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #7315668

SingingWolf, I looked it up on Earthworks and Whiteknights Pearl is in their photo gallery, I don't know if it's the same one as yours but I like it a lot, it's listed as hardy, that'll be another one on my list, Jim
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2009
6:18 AM

Post #7315768

I am pretty certain it is F. magellanice alba var. molinae.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185786/

It gets covered with those little blossoms. The corolla is pink with a bare hint of pale blue. Like Diana Wright, it can get over 10 feet high and develope a very thick woody trunk. The flaky texture of the bark on the trunk is one of the qualities I love about this hardy fuchsia. And it is one I am training as a hedge in another part of the yard.
Although mine has taken quite a beating this year from a teenage cat using it as a jungle gym!! Azorina and I compared photos of damage in this thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043163/
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7319335

What PC said, is what I am putting on the label.
I don't know if it is a seasonal change, but I made it out to check on my babies this morning (I wasn't supposed to but did anyway!) Lavender in color. Very pale. Will try for another photo later on. Although they don't always show the true color.
It's very happy, will also go look at the bark and see if I can see flaky bark texture. My petite, sweet fairy flower. Yes, I call Fuchsia's fairy flowers.
Calif_Sue's photo is most like mine.
Thank you all, so much. I want to start a thread and show what my babies are doing, but just don't have much energy right now. Rotten flu.
Will work on it in fits and starts as able.
They bring me so much joy, and I never thought they'd survive here.
WIB!
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #7320361

This is the photo I tried to find originally. I took it on Nov. 12th. It shows the color and size of the bloom in comparison with my poor dry hands. LOL!
I did check and it still seems a bit more lavender in shade than this photo shows, might be me. I also checked the trunk, and lo and behold, it has that flaky textured bark that PC was talking about.
F. magellanice alba var. molinae, she is, but can I shorten that? If so to what?
She sure is a sweet little flower.
Thank you all again!
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #7320425

Can't help you with that one SW ;-)
Seems like there ought to be a nice cute name for it, huh? Can't use Fairy Dancers, another fuchsia already has that name!
Meanwhile, great new photos for the Plant Files GGK!
Looks like you had a good time at Fry's.
'Lottie Hobbie' had me thinking maybe you had identified another one for me that was given to me as a cutting last winter and is now bush. But mine doesn't have that beautiful variegated edging on the leaves. I have seen F. microphylla's and F. minutiflora's, and other tiny varieties. But I haven't been able to figure this one out for sure yet. It has suddenly really begun to grow and is proving to be a robust bush. One would never think it would, just looking at those tiny leaves and tiny flowers. And it is not the same as what Willowwind2 sent me. The flowers and leaves are bigger. Here is a photo I took this week-end. What do you think?

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7321125

Gosh PC, I think I have seen it somewhere in all the plants I've been looking through.
Katinka comes to mind.
Encliandra
http://www.salfordboltonfuchsiasociety.co.uk/index2.htm?http://www.salfordboltonfuchsiasociety.co.uk/fabulous/g_encliand.htm&2

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 6:42 AM

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7321579

Now I'm beginning to think it is Lottie Hobby
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fuchsiamagic.com/fuchsias/lottie_hobby.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fuchsiamagic.com/fuchsias/lottie_hobby.htm&usg=__s2OJzogl1DhP6_6td5h5xvLQ-Wk=&h=562&w=480&sz=51&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=V3yNWGLcfmnHkM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfuchsia%2Bencliandra%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D3WS%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1
And the one I posted is possibly
Variegated Lottie Hobby

I have noticed since I have been searching so many are not matching up between sites.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7321719

I found this description in the book By
George Bartlett 'Fuchsias The New Cultivars'
Lottie Hobby Variegata
Single Bush
This 'sport' from a species hybrid has the typical small enclandra type flowers. Tube and sepals crimson. Corolla petals dark crimson. Foliage a combination of green, red and yellow making a very attractive novelty. Not as vigorous as its parent and rather slow to start.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7317809

I will need to add this to the plant files and have it moved.
What do you think, PC?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #7322426

I agree on all counts GGK!
There is such a difference of information between one site and another!
Let's hope we can do better here at Daves Garden :-)
And I agree it must be Lottie Hobbie, and that yours must be the variegated one and should be moved to a new entry.
I do like that variegated edge yours has. But I am not surprised it isn't as vigorous, in general, most variegated plants aren't as strong as their origin.
When the starts Willowwind2 sent, start to bloom, I'll post a photo here. The flowers are tinier Encliandra's and almost neon in their brightness.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #7323859

Okay, can I call her "Tink" after my favorite fairy? LOL!
I meant that I think of fairies when I see any fuchsia flowers, not that specific one. But hey, I'm willing to play with it.
Thanks, PC.
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7325714

I like that SW! "Tink" it is! I have been working on that database of upright fuchsias so we can sort my sepal and corolla colors, etc. So I will check and see if there is a "Tinker Bell" out there already and let you know ;-)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7326776

PC,
Forget looking it up, if you can call Cardinal, Larry, then I can call her Tink, not Tinker Bell. I can't remember which thread it came up on, about fuchsia fruit, but I couldn't resist this berry growing on Delta's Groom I think.
I ate it today. It was good. It has a seed in the middle like a grape, but is sweeter. The birds and I will be going to town over this one. Even with me being sick to my stomach, it was good. Too bad only the one berry. I'd have eaten more. LOL!
Sending photo where you can see the berry. It's right next to Chiquita Maria, but it's definitely on Delta's Groom. One more to follow.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7326788

Seconds after I took this photo, I rinsed it off and plopped in my mouth. I liked it. Yummy!
And to think I thought that fuchsia's were for other people. Didn't even know they bore fruit or that it was tasty. Thanks PC for opening up my eyes, and giving my tastebuds a treat!
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7328696

LOL, I am glad it tasted okay SW, because you should wait for them to turn a very dark, almost black purple ;-) !!
There are allot of tiny, tiny seeds along a rib in the center, and that is what you thought was a seed like a grape.
I just posted in the other thread about berries. But just in case, I will repeat here, the smaller ones taste better than the larger ones (so far) and they should come off the plant very easily. If you have to pull, it isn't ripe.
And, I am expecting lots of fuchsia berry recipes in this forum by next summer!!
I am really, really looking forward to my F. boliviana berries. Not the alba, the regular one. The berries are what they sell in the fruit markets of Brazil.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7328810

That one isn't mine, it was at a local retail nursery, mine just started to bloom a few weeks ago. Here is a close up of the berries on F. boliviana. You can see how black they should be when ripe.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7383574

PC,
The berry practically fell off in my hand when I touched it. I tasted it with my tongue, and the fruit wasn't bitter, so I chowed down. It was sweet, and tasted good. I'll wait as long as I can, but sometimes they have a mind of their own. LOL!
WIB!
SW
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7383607

Did you notice that today's flower of the day is a Fuchsia Lycoides?
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7383668

I just saw that!!! I am thrilled! I should post of new photo of it blooming in December. Wow, and Robert didn't take that photo, I did. But when I first put the site up, allot of the photos were his and he was worried about people copying them. He wins awards all of the time in photo contests. So I just put both of our names on all of them.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
CatSmiling :-)

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7383734

Congrats on the Photo of the Day, PC!
I have a feeling some Fuchsia pics. are gonna show up on the Photo of the Day!!
:-)

Those berries look good right about now. I'm going to need to freeze some of them or something this next year...
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7385426

Either they didn't take down your photo, PC, or they liked it enough to keep it up for another day, or maybe it's another one.
Congrats, GF!
I am very proud of you!
WIB,
SW
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7385546

Thanks GGK!
And I need to correct myself, Robert did take that photo. I wrote him to tell him about it getting "Bloom of the Day" for December 20th and he said I should take the credit because I told him what to photograph and from what angle, etc. He really is talented though, and has a much better camera than I do.
Yes, I have allot of new varieties to post this coming spring. Just waiting for them to bloom so I can photograph them ;-)
Thansk SW!! You and GGK are both very good photographers.
I am very good with 35mm, but still learning the digital ways...and my camera does not allow for much control.
As for berries, well, by next summer, we are going to need a new thread for fuchsia berry recipes. Fuchsia berry jam, pie, bread, juice, and maybe even a wine??
How about fuchsia berry ice-cream?

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
12:46 AM

Post #7449978

Hello
I've been going through some old photos from several years back and found a few that I hope you can ID, PC. Don't remember much about them but must have liked them because I took pics of them...LOL

Here is #1

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7449982

Same plant closer view
I like the bloom on this one because of the short bulbous type tube

This message was edited Jan 10, 2010 4:56 PM

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #7449985

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7449986

Same plant closer view

Nice compact bush type that appears to be a heavy bloomer

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
12:52 AM

Post #7449990

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 11, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7449993

#3 another view

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7452217

Wow GGK! I will do my best. I like #3 the most! I should have checked this thread last night before I got back to work on the fuchsia database. Then I would of had these images fresh in my mind. I want to call the middle one 'Rose Fantasia' because of it's upright facing pink blossoms. The first one is going to be hard, but I bet it is closely related to the magellanicas. There are just so many in that category.
I DID finish the list of uprights last night! I didn't enter every single upright I found. Just those I felt there was a reasonable chance of finding here in the states if I couldn't already find a source for it. The list has 1528 entries in it. Now I have to learn how to upload a database to a website. And I need to build the website.
Still haven't thought of a name for it though. What do you think?
And my own frustrations over trying to indentify two plants for which I do not know the common names and have no clue as to even which genus to look in, has led me to decide I need to add more fields to the fuchsia database so that leaf type and details can be entered. So many fuchsia blooms can look alike, until you see their leaves and realize the two cannot be the same!
I will do a search for white and rose to see what comes up for your third fuchsia.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 10:20 AM
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7452295

Well, my initial search has convinced me of another couple of fields. Such as sepal length. I found a couple that looked close, until I realized they had longer, tubular sepals...
And one of the hard decisions was whether or not to have color variations in the major sorting fields. By that I mean, stick to just red instead of cerise, magenta, scarlet, etc.for the first field for sepals and only use the more descriptive colors in the second field for sepals. (same process of two fields for corollas).
I am still debating this because if I search for rose instead of cerise, then I may be missing the one I am trying to find.
You mentioned a fuchsia society color chart they use to define colors. What colors would you use to describe your three fuchsias above?

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7453495

PC
Don't fret too much for an ID ..No hurry! You sure are busy getting all the data in and it will be so useful for years to come! Thanks for the hard work. I'm looking into the 'Rose Fantasia' possibility but need to go...Be back later

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7457647

Pc
I think your spot on with the ID of 'Rose Fantasia'.
I'm so bad at describing or naming colors! Also many times when taking photos some colors don't show true with the pics. That being said is why I believe a color wheel would be a very useful tool. I'm still on the look out for such a tool for use, maybe I will email a few Fuchsia groups and see if there is such a tool for use.

Thanks again for helping with ID's and all the work you are putting into the database!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7458447

That would be cool! After looking at thousands of photos, honestly, I don't know how they come up with the descriptions they use! And then there are some sites that just use red and purple for practically everything. At least FindThatFuchsia uses the descriptions, when possible, that the hybridizer themselves used to describe their new varities. I think Rose Fantasia is an argument for adding a notes field which will have an entry such as "upward facing bloom." What do you think of "AListOfFuchsias.com" for a name for the website? I want it to be as open as possible to everyone without ads, etc.. Just an source of info nothing else. I think people have probably used these words in their attempts to google such a place. I apologize to everyone for only listing upright fuchsias. Ha, ha! There is still FindThatFuchsia and he deserves as much help as he can get for that monumental effort he has accomplished. Maybe someday he will translate it into a searchable database.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7464005

I think I may have found an ID for #3
Joy Patmore
http://www.fuchsiamagic.com/fuchsias/jpatmor.htm
http://monnierscountrygardens.com/PhotoPages-E-L/JoyPatmore.html
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7464817

You got it! See, I wasn't looking for the color carmine! I was thinking cerise. I even have a note in my database that this one has a flared corolla, like Jupiter and a number of others do! I should have sorted for that.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7526265

Hey, where is everybody!? Is everyone chomping at the bit, ready for spring?
I usually at least post some photos on Wednesdays, but now this is my most hectic day and there just hasn't been time to even take photos.
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still working on that fuchsia list. I hit a bit of a snag, as it turns out the place that I use for websites doesn't support databases. Even the database software program they made! So now I have to find another web host and since it will cost me to do this, I am shopping around before I jump in.
I do though, hope to name the website "AListOfFuchsias.info."
The only other option, would be to post a link at a website with this name, to a "document center." Which would hold a copy of the database that anyone who also had the software program Access, would be able to open and use. But that seems a bit of a chore and I really want this to be user friendly.
I have a long list of upright fuchsias I am looking for and I know lots of other people do also.

Back to work! ;-)
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7558680

Update on the list of upright fuchsias. Which stands at about 1500 so far. I have gone over the entire list of fuchsias currently listed here at DavesGarden and made certain that every one which can be called an upright fuchsia is on my list AND whether or not there is a photo here for each upright fuchsia.
So! Fellow fuchsia fanatics! We have our work cut out for us this year and I am hoping everyone will check and see if the fuchsias they are growing are on the list and have a photo.
There are a few mistakes in the list here at DavesGarden. So please, check to make sure your fuchsia was properly labeled. Customers like to pull tags out to read them and then put them back into the wrong plant! Please verify your fuchsia with either FindThatFuchsia or another reputable website such as fuchsia societies, before posting your photo or adding a new variety to the Plant Files here.
I'll get that list of missing photos put together ASAP so we can fill in the blanks.
hostajim1
Port Orchard, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7568662

PC, yes I'm chomping, Jim
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7570902

Okay, who can identify this one!?
Ha, ha, no?
Okay, it is my dendrobium 'Upin King'
But it always blooms in time for Valentines Day and reminds me that spring is indeed, on it's way. So hang in there hostajim1!!

This message was edited Feb 19, 2010 5:17 PM

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7572441

That's really pretty. My dead looking fuchsias are all growing massively from around the bases. Still nothing showing on the branches.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7842211

Hi All
Ok, I got this Fuchsia last year and it survived the winter so it's a Hardy! I was attracted by the
foliage I think! LOL

The tag only had 'Big Red' on it and I can't find a Fuchsia with that name. It was a small plant when I bought it back in Sept. 2009 and no blooms. I only have this pic of it so far no blooms as of yet. Anyone recognize it??
Run across any pics of this fuchsia Pedricks? I may need to wait for it to bloom also before we get a positive ID.

Thanks for your help.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7842578

The foliage is very interesting! Should help us hunt it down. Is it a trailer or an upright?
I know it isn't "Delta's Parade' (purple) but the foliage is very close. Nor 'Reading Show' (red and dark blue/purple), but again the foliage is close. I will do some searching.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7843622

Yes, it's an upright sorry forgot to mention that.
Don't go out of your way Pedrick for an ID. If you happen to come across it in your searches let me know. Katye said she might know, she believes she saw it in a nursery last year.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #8066483

I have had several fuchsias planted all over the yard and moved most of them to my sunnier border and I am without a clue what this is???

Thumbnail by Azorina

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #8067248

It looks allot like 'My Mum' to me. I need to get a better photo of mine so you can see a comparison. I like the ones with the green tips to the white or pinkish sepals!
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #8068013

Me too! Thanks PC
RustyStar
Redondo Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 23, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #8115817

Does anyone know what this might be? It's the biggest fuchsia I've ever seen - about 4-5 inches long! Really white sepals. I saw it at a nursery and went back the next day - but it was gone!! I want to buy if I can figure out what it is! Thanks all!
Rusty

Thumbnail by RustyStar

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #8116955

Wow, that IS gorgeous! Is it a hanging basket type? Another possibility is to ask the nursery who their supplier is and then contact them. Some nurseries are happy to place special orders for their customers. Please let us know if they are able to help and at least provide you with the name.
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8338423

PedricksCorner
I am new to this forum (So excited to find this here at Dave's!),but was wondering if you ever found anymore info on your "Alta".
I found this:‘Alta’ - Taller, relatively unbranched ‘Campo Victrix’ x ‘Lye’s Unique’ sibling, but with larger deep pink flowers (darker smoky-pink petals). Habit is upright but unbranched, with few lateral shoots. Strongly resistant to gall-mite, fairly resistant to rust.

on this website:http://www.americanfuchsiasociety.org/fuchsiaarticles/petermiterest.html

I know I've seen Alta for sale but can't remember where!
Hope this helps,
gail

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8339263

Hi Gail, I do believe you are correct. I took a photo of a gall mite resistant upright fuchsia at a nursery last year. But I never posted it because I could not authenticate it's name. I found the same info you did at the American Fuchsia Society, but since there is no photo there, I could not be certain they were one and the same. As it is not unusual for people to take tags out of plants and then either not put them back, or put them into the wrong plant. So I always check to make certain my fuchsias have the right name. The photo is on an other computer, but now that I look at it. It does match the photo above. The question now is, are they indeed 'Alta'? Could be a good question for the Northwest Fuchsia Society. I will try and post the photo in this thread as soon as I can!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8339323

Here is the photo I took. I hope we can verify it is 'Alta'.

golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8339451

As there are SO many hybrids in the world,and more entering the database all the time it is truly difficult to identify a less popular fuchsia.I live in Ohio and many of our garden centers and other growers are supplied by Possum Run Greenhouse in Bellville Ohio.Pretty easy to identify most all the fuchsia you come across in the state if you are familiar with their list.(I pore over it for weeks,months... making my decisions every year!)
I can't imagine trying to ID a fuchsia in England or Germany,or the Netherlands
Hope a photo pops up on the internet of Alta sometime so you can make a better comparison than the written desription of "darker smoky-pink petals"
BTW wanted to tell you that I have been thrilled with all your postings and plantfile pictures of fuchsia.They have really helped me narrow down my "wants"list,and helped educate me on the habits of particlar fuchsias
Thank you!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8339504

Thanks! I am hunting for varieties that were introduced in the 1940's and 1950's here in the states. Please take a look at my "want" list some time in the trades and see if you run across any of them. A grandson of Haag wrote me the other day looking for the ones hybridized by Haag or Haag & Son. So I am going to focus on trying to find the 20 I have on my list. I'll be entering them here in this database over the next few days. I was surprised to notice that three of my favorites are from Haag. 'Cover Girl', 'Duke of Wellington', and 'Golden Dawn.'
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8339822

I checked possum runs site and they have "Rose of denmark"
http://www.possumrungreenhouse.com/plants/fuchsia/rose-of-denmark

They have a larger wholesale list than is shown on their website-I will check it tomorrow,and let you know if any of the others are listed.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8340510

Thanks! I worked for years with a once famous fuchsia hybridizer out here in California. And I was recently very saddened to hear that a number of his cultivars have dissappeared, or at least cannot be found. Even though they are trailers and I'm not into trailing types, I feel like I should try and hunt them down as well.
Yesterday I triend to find 'Mountain Haze', isn't that a cool name!?? But all leads became dead ends :-(

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America