-
AuthorContent
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #7020556

It has been very slow here on the japanese maples forum this summer. Too busy watering our trees maybe. To jump start some activity here i plan to post a picture or two of a jm per day. I have about 40+ jm's here most are new purchases over the past three years.

Please feel free to share some pictures of your trees. I would especially be interested in seeing some of our original members more mature trees.

Here is a picture of Shirazz which is my favorite jm, with a new bloodgood in the background that was purchased to replace the old one which passed on due to a large crack in its bark which some of you may remember.

Thumbnail by wha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7020567

and here in beni hime which i also like very much - and i thank snapple for me about this tree - i purchased one last november that did not survive over wintering - lesson learned and one that David(sans) preaches - replaced it this spring and will keep this stored in the garage for safe keeping this winter.

Thumbnail by wha

GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7020831

Thanks, Wha. It has been slow on this forum this summer and I was going through withdrawals. Your JMs look great!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #7020892

thx g-sox

post a pic
beakerlj
Galien, MI

September 3, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7021998

hmm, that beni hime is calling me!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7024972

here is abigail rose purchased from Davidsans taken this spring - nice dwarf

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7024977

full moon maple new last year

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #7028351

beni shichihenge

Thumbnail by wha

GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7028892

Here is my beni schichihenge decorated with some crepe myrtle blossoms.

Thumbnail by GardenSox

GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #7028911

And here is a crimson queen looking anything but crimson . . . this tree is in almost total shade so it only turns crimson late in the season which, around here, is December. On the plus side, it's one of the few JMs that I have that doesn't suffer from sun burn.

Thumbnail by GardenSox

confussedlady
Columbus, OH

September 5, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #7029026

Wha, what a beauty. What size container is used in post # 7020567 dated 9-3

thanks confussedlady
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7029052

GardenSox, I have three small (twig size) Crimson Queens I have not planted in the ground yet. Do they do better in partial shade? They have been on my deck in planters and even tho I've almost loved them to death, they are really burned looking. What do you suggest please? Cynthia
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #7029102

Cynthia,

I think you'll find that almost all JMs will do better with at least some shade, especially if you can give them afternoon shade. Many JMs, however, need some sun in order to achieve the color or variegation that each cultivar might possess. My crimson queen, for instance, is protected from the sun by a large shade tree in my front yard and that keeps it from getting sun burnt but it also keeps it from turning red until after the leaves from the overhead tree have fallen in the autumn.

If yours are in planters you might also need to give them more water than you might think as the roots are generally going to be warmer in a pot than they would be in the ground.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7029666

Thanks GardenSox for the info. I have a new flower bed going in between two trees that gets morning sun and is pretty shaded in the afternoon. I'll try them there and hopefully they'll do well. I think I'd prefer no sunburn to the bright red if I had a choice! Appreciate the information. Cynthia
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7033670

confusedlady - not sure exactly what size container that is we have several about the same size - maybe a foot across and a 16-18" deep.

cynthia i have two large crimson queens - one shown here is in full sun the other gets almost full sun - i think the issue is that yours are babies - this is the same CQ that i trimmed heavily last winter and you can not really tell i did anything to it now - maybe when the leaves fall the branch structure will be better

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #7033680

here is the crimson queen in the backyard - i also have babies growing out back that are in thier second year although they do receive a lot of shade later in the day and from the weeds aroung them

Thumbnail by wha

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #7034605

Nice photos wha. What a lovely garden you have!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7034700

thx doss - show us some of your trees!!

gardensox nice pictures - i have moved both of my crimson queens a few times around the yard until i found the right spot - your CQ looks big enough to get some more sun if you want to move it.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7035680

beni kawa new this year

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7035690

sango kaku in the front yard that i have had for several years.

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7038273

Oh my gosh, Wha, your yard is amazing! I am so jealous - you must have great weather to grow there in Massachusetts. Mine are, seriously, no bigger than twigs ... do you think I should put them in the ground or leave them in their plants on the (raised) deck this winter? Everything else I have (flowers, etc.) are doing well, but these little trees are frustrating me, ahhhhhhhhh!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7038808

cynthia put them in the ground and not on a raised bed.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #7040252

here is orange dream new this year from Topiary Gardens

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7040258

and Shigatasawa also new this year from rarefind - both of these are on a slope and under a sugar maple

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #7043548

based on the number of views there are many lurkers here - anyone care to share?

here is corallinium

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7043553

and mikawa yatsubusa

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7043559

and a very small geisha

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #7043567

and here is a full shot that includes the last five jm's posted from left to right geisha in the pot, mikawa yatsubusa, shigitatasawa above, corallinium, and orange dream above.

Thumbnail by wha

davesnursery
Milford, DE

September 9, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #7043632

It appears that it is heavily wooded in the back. Do you ever have the deer come in to dine? I have a heard of 20-25 that dine hear every night. I am thankful that they only take off a few leaves but had to move all my Japanese Emperor Oaks inside. They completely ate off all the buds. Thank goodness that these plants have many hidden eyes beneath the rings otherwise they would have been goners.

Dave
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7044228

Wha - I love the long shot of all 5 of those trees. Do you go out and water the potted geisha or do you get enough rain in your area that you don't have to worry about that?
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7044236

hi dave - that is actually the front yard and the white pines are along the road - in back it is heavily wooded with a pond and a farm - we see deer in the field although never in the yard during spring through fall - even have a large veggy garden back there that they have not dined on - yet - in the winter they will come across and pick at some trees and bushes - they seem to like hydrangea the best, so far they have stayed away from the jm's although this year will be the test since i added so many new ones.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7044246

hi gsox - i have seven jm's in containers - the geisha only gets watered once a week or so unless i have the sprinkler going there and then it is on its own - others in more sun i will watch closer - this year has been wet until about 6 weeks ago so it has been more an issue of protecting them from too much water
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #7047039

To the right of the previous post i have this bloodgood

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7047059

in front of the bloodgood is

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #7047071

and just to the left of the oridono niskiki is a ukigumo - both of these were a last year purchase and have grown noticeably in that time - and should look good with the bloodgood back drop in the future

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #7047092

here is some new growth on the oridono niskiki

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7047103

and last for today the long shot of these three jm's

Thumbnail by wha

GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #7047843

That's a very impressive bloodgood you have there! How long have you had that one?

I like the half-buried wine barrel in that last picture a lot.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7047860

thx g-sox

we've had that one for close to 10 years - have not trimmed it at all - i still remember the cop directing traffic in front of the nursery thanking me for buying it because he had been looking at it all day and would have caught hell from his wife if he had showed up with it :)

we try and plant impatients in the barrel although i aways forget to water there - just put a magnolia in front of it so probelm solved
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #7049470

This is Koto no Ito. It got pseudomonas and I've cut out all of the bad stuff and am hoping for the best. The chemicals for treating it are too toxic for me to use them though.

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7049474

Tsukushi gata

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7049484

Bloodgood

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #7049489

Villa Taranto

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7049494

This Butterfly takes constant pruning to keep it in it's place. Given it's druthers it would be a 15 foot tree I think.

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #7049499

Germaine's Gyration. I picked it because it can grow in full sun here.

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #7049516

My favorite seedling maple

Thumbnail by doss

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7049736

thank you for sharing doss - great looking jm's - hoping for the best for your koto-no-ito - i planted one this spring and will post tomorrow - will have to consider a couple like germaine and Tsukushi gata in the future
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7049752

I'll look forward to seeing your Koto no Ito. It's one of my very favorite trees. I have a seedling with pseudomonas too. This is the first year I've ever had the problem and some of these trees are over 25 years old. (The Koto is only about 8 years in my garden but still...)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7049792

mine is no where as nice as yours - got 5 jm's from greers in the spring and two did not far so well on the cross country trip - koto was one of them - do not think they watered them before shipping since the other three were still damp - it did bounce back well though and looking foward to it filling out like yours - and i can understand the issue with pseudomonas - hope the trees get through it
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7050841

here is my koto-no-ito - new this year from greer's and it did lose a lot of it's leaves and bounced back - hoping for a fuller tree next year - it is a tall one though 5-6 feet which was nice.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7050849

and this is red baron - that i got from davidsans this year - similiar to the bloodgood although supposed to be hardier and it stayed a deeper burgandy this summer than BG - i have it on the slope uphill/behind the koto-no-ito so the green of the koto will stand out more when both trees grow up.

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7050851

Have I said recently how envious I am? LOL.
Cynthia
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2009

Post #7050866

OKAY, now I am really jealous! Bill, your gardens should be on Home Beautiful network! Each photo is amazing. Makes me look at our Missouri gardens and sigh heavily... I don't think I'd ever be inside if my yard looked as gorgeous as yours. But then, you have a Cynthia who gets to enjoy them, don't you? LOL! (And if I was a mole or vole, I'd choose your yard, ha!)
Cynthia
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009

Post #7050869

this is a paperbark maple that is in the yard below the koto-no-ito

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7050907

thx cynthia and yes i do have one of my own although she is not a garden enthusiast - fortunately she puts up with my addition :) And since i have so much going on now as long as i can get them in the ground and hide the shipping boxes they go unnoticed :)

here is the last one for today a long shot that could be better - to the left in front of the yellow thread conifer is the beni shichihenge i posted earlier that you can barely make out the top of - in the middle is koto and behind that the RB and to the right the paperbark maple

tomorrow we will go up the slope and see what is going on up there

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7050945

ROFL, you hide the shipping boxes? That's funny. I do the same thing, though. The plants go out and mine (DH Eric) never notices unless I leave them on the front porch. He's great with letting me do what I want - after all, "happy wife, happy life."

I saved this last photo and put it as my screensaver. I like to look at other people's gardens and dream. Of course, nothing in MO can compare to where you live. We're dead center of the US and have four nice seasons, but we are on pure clay and nothing really does well in clay. Oh well. Our goal is to get back to Minnesota some day!

I'm gonna have to study up on the different varieties of JM - you have so many. I moved mine to a table in the center of our covered deck, so hopefully they'll rebound with just a lil morning sun. Have a great day. Love this thread and photos.
Cynthia
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7050984

i actually burn the shipping boxes in my fire pit out back when i'm starting a campfire - it is a pain getting out all the stables in those boxes - use the ash in the garden so can't have those in there :)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #7054813

moving up top to the front of the house - i have previously posted a crimson queen and sango kaku - here is okushimo in a container.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009

Post #7054831

and a viridis looking down the top of the slope

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7054842

and a small one gallon berma bridge from davidsans that is green and will turn red for the fall.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7054860

and the last one i have planted up here is pixie - this area of the yard gets full sun most of the day with some shade in the early morning from the house and a break from the white pines late in the day so not prime real estate for jm's

next we will move to the backyard where there is a lot more going on - stay tuned and do not be afraid to share some of your trees.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7058995

here is inaba shirade that is in a bed next too the full moon maple i posted earlier - last year this was a pretty small tree that i posted on another thread where i tried to duct tape a branch broken over the winter and finally lost.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7059003

and this is another viridis right next to the inaba shirade that you can see to the right - will need to move the endless summer hydrangea to the left as it has grown very large this year. probably just expand the bed and get rid of more lawn.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7059010

and this is a butterfly - in back is two rose glow barberry bushes, a large alberta spruce and a maroon hollyhock, i like the combination - the crazy daisy plant in front might have to move.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7059027

and last for today a wide shot of the viridis and inaba shirade

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #7062005

Bill, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! It's Home Beautiful for sure. And to think I showed you photos of my lil burned JM twigs - ROFL - had I seen these photos first, I'd probably have just kept my mouth shut, LOL. Beautiful gardens! Cyn
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #7062409

thx cynthia - i have a couple like yours here, the little ones need to grow up and get tough.

here are three jm's that i have in containers on our back patio - komanchi hime from topiary gardens this spring

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 9:24 AM

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #7062415

koto maru

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #7062419

and the third which i have posted before - beni hime

that's all for today

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #7062472

I'd have a hard time choosing a favorite - I really like the photo of the looking down the slope - I just like the leaves on it. I keep telling my lil guys to bulk up, lol.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7066507

here is a new shishigashira from greers this spring

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7066514

villa tatanto from davidsans this spring

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #7066521

acontifolium also from davidsans this spring

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #7066532

atrolineare that was purchased locally - all of these front the patio with conifers in between

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7066545

and to the left of the patio and on the slope that receives morning and afternoon shade is burning embers from davidsans - this is a nice tree and recently found a volunteer rouge cardinal clem growing up into it - will let the continue to grow - this tree is meant to provide shade for the patio when it grows up

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7066563

and here is the long view the trees where posted starting left to right - when i decided to purchase all these trees last fall and winter it also meant i had to build this patio - fortunately i had brick left over from putting in a front walkway and the blue stone was from a wall i took down and replaced with a real rock wall - so there was a lot of work for me in the spring - and after seeing how big these trees will get i will be expanding that bed fronting the patio i'm sure.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #7066573

for those that know me know one thing i love as much as jm's is rocks - added this little arch to the patio over the weekend.

Thumbnail by wha

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7067783

Seeing your garden makes me want to re-mulch mine. It makes such a difference.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #7067840

it is also expensive - i go through 20 yards a year - i am putting ground cover every where - sedum and hardy geranium are in front of the patio - they are still babies too
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #7067900

The mulch looks so clean in your pictures though . . . is it a real chore to keep looking that way when the leaves start falling?
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7068084

not really that is why they invented rakes :)
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7068302

What's a rake? :-)

I would probably rake up as much mulch as I would leaves.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7068994

:) after the mulch is down all year you do not rake up much
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7069126

Love that porch with the bench - gorgeous.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #7070189

thx cynthia it was fun to build.

in a large bed directly in front of the patio i have this sango kaku (coral bark maple) that lost a main section during last years ice torm shere

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #7070199

next to that on the back side of the bed is omure yama

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7070209

and here is higasa yama behind the crimosn queen i posted earlier

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7070222

and here is a long view that includes omure yama, higasa yama, and the cq - missing is the coral bark maple.

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #7072808

Bill, what is the purple colored one at the right side of the photo? It is fabulous! Your hostas are gorgeous too, and I have two of the heuchera like yours to plant tomorrow. We don't have any all-day shade (except under our deck) so hope they won't get too much sun. Your yard is obviously pretty shaded as all your plants look fantastic, no heat stroke. Massachusetts doesn't get horribly hot in the summer, does it?

BTW, my DH laughed when I told him you burn the tree boxes so your Cynthia might not notice. That's the sign of a true JM-aholic, lol. Cyn
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #7072861

hi cynthia - that would have to be the crimson queen, although i am not sure which photo you are referring too. These photo's were mostly taken in the early summer so the sun really did not get a chance to burn the hosta's. i took down two large sugar maples behind that bed and some of them did not fair as well as others. The heuchera is called Carmel i believe that i got at lowes and split into to three. i did that in several places with that one.

Mass gets pretty hot in late july and august.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #7072877

Speaking of hot things in Mass . . . how 'bout those Red Sox? I don't want to derail your thread - but that was a great game tonight.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #7072886

they stole one - the pitch to nick green was a strike not ball 4. they are hot though that is -- in a row. would not want me to jinx them would you? Too bad the evil empire came back and won.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7072895

Yes, it's the Crimson Queen - fabulously gorgeous! Did you divide the heuchera's before you planted them (right from the nursery) or did you grow them a couple years before you divided? I have (2) two-gallon containers to plant but if I can divide them now, I'd like to do that.

Didn't see the game tonight ... didn't know baseball was still on, LOL. Did watch the Michigan game Sunday, it was great. And, of course, Iowa beat Iowa State - we went to my DH's childhood farm in IA to watch it. (I dug up hostas & coneflowers to bring home.) LOL. Goodnight all! Cynthia
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7072910

i bought these in the spring and split them then and kept them watered. not sure the size of the pots, they were pretty full for a box store like lowes. i would think at a minimum you could split them in two now.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7073581

I'll do that today when I plant them. Have a garden I'm almost finished with - my first!!! - and will post a photo. I will need a lot of "ohhhh'ssssss!" and "Ahhhhhhhhhh's" - lots of gushing compliments (my sisters-in-law say that) ... since I am a newbie, LOL. Strong hint, haaa. I tell my husband to come see what I've done outside and to really gush over it - if he doesn't really lay it on, I tell him to keep it up and I'll let him know when it's enough. Hee hee. He's a good DH. My garden is nothing like yours, but it has all my favorite flowers in it. No JM tho. :^(
Cyn
PS #5 mole bit the dust yesterday. The thrill of the hunt ... trapping them is another new hobby, LOL. The Missouri Mole Murderer. Don't call Peta.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #7073701

this is a beni kawa that "died" and reverted back to the root stock - i like the fall colors

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7073705

here is a close up of the foliage - looks like i has kept the red wood for winter!

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7073715

and here is the replacement beni kawa from wildwood nursery. Both of these trees are in the back left hand side of the yard and the leaves are completely different.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7073722

in a bed in front of those is and orangeola

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7073732

And here is an example of a branch coming up from the root stock on the orangeola - it is gone now.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #7073741

here is a campestre carnival - this was new last year and lost a lot of size of the winter - close to 50% - hopefully it was just first year jitters

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009

Post #7073748

and here is the last one for today - this is elmwoody that i received through beakerlj this past spring

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7073845

Beakerlj needs to be my friend now, too, LOL. I like that last photo - how many do you have and how large is your lot, holy cow! Gorgeous photos! Love the rock borders - we don't have any natural rocks here (just clay, boooo) so we have to buy rock - very pricey so I stick with pavers. Not my fav but at 1.39 each, can afford them.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7073895

we have about 2 acres although not all is used and many rock walls - hey its new england:)
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7073994

Rub it in, have you ever been to Missouri? Now Minnesota...that's the Home Planet. We head to the North Shore in two weeks for our bi-annual trip home. Counting the days! We almost moved to Groton, CT, a few years ago. It was lovely - so many trees. Thank goodness we didn't as Pfizer then moved their headquarters.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7074015

no can't say that i have - although i have a good friend who grew up there.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #7074203

Grew up here and moved away, yup. Makes sense to me, LOL.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2009

Post #7077175

here is a picture of a jm harriot waldman purchased locally. it is planted here in it container for now although this space is reserved for a dogwood tree so it will have to move. it is next to the elmwoody.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7077190

here is a long view with harriot to the left.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7077196

this is a tamukeyama in new bed i made this year

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #7077213

this is another beni shichihenge - very small in a back section of the yard i use as a growing area - i'm thinking i may try and bonsai this one in the spring.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #7077227

and this is another corallinium from beakerlj that i also might try to bonsai - although not pictured i also have a 5' chishio improved planted in a pot back here and a aka shigitatsu sawa the same size that will moved out into the yard next spring.

Thumbnail by wha

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7078482

Beautiful trees and beautiful gardens Wha. I'd love to "will" my JM's to your yard if that is ok. I always worry about who will love my trees and plants as much as I do when I am gone. lol. Guess it really won't matter because I will never know. I'd love to post some of min on your thread if that is ok.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7079028

n2b please go ahead and post - this thread was meant to share pictures! and i'm getting close to having all mine up.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #7079994

i will be out of the loop tomorrow so here are a bakers dozen of little jm's i just took - all are different but two and they came from seeds of three trees

Thumbnail by wha

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #7080762

Most of mine to show today are from spring pictures. That is usually when I love to photograph mine. Right when they are coming out.

Fernleaf Fullmoon

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7080768

Tiger Rose
(you can tell it is early in the year here - totally different than what it looks like now)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7080774

Washi no o

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7080783

No name green - probably a waterfall. Was the first one I bought before I realized I was gonna collect them.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7080790

2 different reds across from the green at my front entrance. Again - no names. I hate that.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7080814

Fernleaf Full moon leaf showing fall colors.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #7080818

Same tree

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009

Post #7080820

AJ Lovitt
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009

Post #7080825

Nice one, huh

here's the picture (these are still fall pics)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7080829

I know this is poor quality of leaves - but wanted to show the dif. in colors this 1 tree puts out.
Still the Lovitt

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7080839

Orangeola
(this one looks like a spring pic based on the hostas)

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #7080844

Thanks wha - for letting me share. I need to go take some current pictures of my others.

doss - meant to say that my Germaine's is one of my favorites - yours is awesome !! I love the greens !!!!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7082040

Lovely trees n2birds. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen the AJ Lovitt and really love the shape of the leaves.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #7082097

i agree n2b you have some interesting jm's that i will have to consider - the lovett and the fernleaf are very nice and i've been considering the washi for a while.

and not need to thank me - the purpose was for others to share pictures. based on the view numbers on this post there have to be others with some pictures!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7082124

Thank you both. I find my green ones up against a green background are the hardest to photo. Maybe thats why I like photo'g them in the fall and spring when there isn't so much competition.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #7082152

I know about photographing those greens ones. I have a Fairy Hair that is almost impossible to get a good photo of.

Thumbnail by doss

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7082162

Cute one Doss. That works better with the lighter background. I have seen those and considered it. What color does it turn in the fall ? Is it very showy ?
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 19, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #7082343

No it's not showy in the fall at all. It just sort of fades away. But I love my koto no ito and was excited about being able to keep this fairy hair in a pot. I'm all out of room for trees in the garden.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7082414

Hmmmm, have to think about a koto no ito when I come across one then. I've been ordering a bunch of 1 yr old grafts off ebay lately. Hope I can keep them alive until they are worth putting in the ground.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #7083020

You'll love your Koto no Ito. HEre's a photo of the fall colors. Subtle but beautiful. This photo was taken in 2007. I realize I didn't take any photos of my trees this year. I guess I'll have to do it this fall.

Thumbnail by doss

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #7083818

Oh wow - quite stunning ! About how old would you say that one is ? Are they fast or slow growers ?
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7084439

that is very nice doss - hope my new shows a little color this year.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7084444

here is fireglow that i got from beakerlj this spring. it was pretty tall. supposed to like shade - hope it looks good next to the golden shadow dogwood.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7084457

here is a small autumn moon that i plan to keep in this large container - this tree is also placed in an area that is shade for all of the day.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7084469

and here is an eskimo sunset - not a acer pal. though still a pretty tree with unique colored leaves. This will grow to 25' or so and will be planted in the ground here when it grows up some.

Still have a few more trees to share.

Thumbnail by wha

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 20, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7084802

I like that Eskimo Sunset - is it a Jmaple too? Not sure what an acer pal. is ... sure has great leaves and color! I figure when I'm about 120 years old our trees will be grown and beautiful, lol.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #7086339

N2birds, the koto no ito was about 4 feet tall when I put it in and that photo was taken about 5 years later. It's now over 9 feet tall 7 years later. Not a slow grower at all I don't think. I'm afraid that it's going to get well over the 8-9 feet that is most often quoted for it. I once saw a photo of a mature one and it was as wide as it was tall. I had to move it to a place where it gets sun most of the day and it seems happy there.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2009
10:52 AM

Post #7086760

I just checked the one yr old grafts that I have coming and one of them is a koto no ito. So glad you showed me that larger ones now. Must have impressed me even as a baby tree, lol.

wha, your choice on where to put the fireglow appears to be perfect. Love all your color combos in that picture.

edited to say - "and those blue pots you have those in are gorgeous !"

This message was edited Sep 21, 2009 5:53 AM
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009

Post #7087250

thx n2b - i'm hoping the fireglow likes it there. And i like those pots as well!

Here is peaches and cream that i have planted in front of the rock garden that holds the fireglow and right next to the autumn moon in the blue pot - this area is shade all day.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009

Post #7087255

and behind it is asahi zuru - both of these trees came from greers this spring - asahi had a tougher trip here and arrived dried out - it has bounced back nicely and is showing some new growth.

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7087274

and this is the last post of my jm collection - a long view that includes autumn moon, p&c, asahi zuru, abigail rose. you can tell how small the fireglow is as it is almost invisible up by the white picket fence.

i would be very interested in seeing others pictures of their trees!

Thumbnail by wha

GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7087691

Thanks for posting all those pictures, wha. You have an impressive collection. I would love to keep adding to my small collection, but I'm really out of good places to plant any more JMs so it's all potted JMs for me for now. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop buying though. In fact, I just purchased two Glowing Embers after thinking about it all summer. I'll post pictures when they arrive and get potted up.

It has really gotten to the point for me where I've been considering tearing out some plants and shrubs to make room for a few JMs.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7087707

you are very welcome - wish some more would share theirs.

i know what you mean about space! that is why bonsai is attractive as well :)

i do plan to plant more in the section i posted last - have a little jm orchard so to speak, and there is some that will go in a bed i'll expand in the top section of the front yard next spring.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #7088063

wha - how did your interest in jm's start? You should have quite a forest in 10 years!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7088129

pretty typical i think - liked the crimson queens and bloodgoods at first. then learned about other varieties like viridis - then to the moon - he Internet made it real easy to learn what is available. local nurseries only had the standards - now they seem to be adding more varieties.

yes it should be interesting in a few years, probably will need to have some mass transplanting or constant trimming. main reason why in the last two years i purchased to many was i wanted to make sure i was around to enjoy them for a while.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7088643

Well you have a beautiful garden now and will really enjoy them when they become mature. I know when I plant a new tree I think how old I'm going to be when they become mature and hope that I'm around to see the results! Smart to do it as early as possible.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #7088682

776 views of this thread, Bill, that's really something. When you decide to thin out your trees, I'll be sure and send you our address, LOL. I think I'll be over 100 when my spindley lil guys grow up. Cynthia
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7089171

the views are up because i keep looking at my own trees :)

i'm sure there are other pictures out there!?!
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7089356

LOL, they are to be admired for sure! I'm making my Christmas list now!
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #7138518

Been a while since I visited the JM forum. Most of my JM are showing no fall colour yet. Here a few from the past couple of weeks: Ukigumo

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #7138523

Sharp's Pygmy

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7138529

Suminigashi

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7138537

and Red Dragon

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7139627

Todd, you say that your trees aren't showing much fall color. Is your Red Dragon that red all year long?
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7139661

Todd same question about uki - it looks great - what kind of light does it get mine does not look close to that.

and thx for sharing!
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2009
9:24 AM

Post #7140200

Yes, Red Dragon is that colour all summer. The Ukigumo is in a pot on the east side of my house...I used to have it on the west but the colour was always a bit bleached. The east side has resulted in the best pink color.

I have other JM but only pictures from the summer. If the sun ever comes out, I'll take some recent pics.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #7140417

never been to your home todd, was does the east side mean for sun/shade :) sounds like more shade?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7140501

Wow - very nice trees Todd. Would love to see more. Your colors are outstanding !
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7141251

I was at a nursery this past weekend and the guy that worked there was raving about his Red Dragon. He says that it's really held up well even in our heat and his filtered sun location for the tree and he loves the color too. I think I have just added one more cultivar to the ever-growing wish list.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #7141362

East side is morning sun (let's say 6-11 am) and bright shade the rest of the day.

Most of my JM don't colour until the last week of October but then drop their leaves by the second week of November so unfortunately, I don't get to enjoy fall colours for long.

Here is my A. pseudosieboldianum taken last year on Oct 23.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #7148893

very nice todd!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #7164052

This Japanese Maple was about 6' tall when we bought this house 10 years ago. It has grown dramatically in the last few years - I guess it likes the proximity of my compost pile (behind the arbor vitae hedge) - LOL. I don't know the variety - anyone have an idea?

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 6:34 AM

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7164156

yes that is a big tree - my guess is bloddgood although a closer picture of the leaf shape would be helpful

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7164959

Here is a photo of leaves -

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #7164965

Another pic. These are on the underside, so the color is not as bright.

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7164971

yep i believe it is a bloodgood

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #7165097

Thanks! It's certainly pretty - three years ago the city/county started a project to widen the creek behind my house. The original plan included taking out my maple. I 'negotiated' with the City and managed to get them to spare it. While they would replace the tree, the puny replacement would take YEARS to be this size - I'm too old to plant small trees - LOL.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #7165409

Fall colour is just starting..here is Omure yama

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7165417

Koto-no-ito

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #7165423

Red Pygmy..the potted ones have coloured much faster than those in the open ground

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #7165673

red pygmy looks outstanding as do the others - have to watch my omure yama and koto to see how the compare - do not remember omure had that color (no U) for me.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #7165986

Very nice, Some of mine are just barely starting to turn right now. It will be awhile until they get any color.
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 14, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7169675

I have one very old Crimson Queen.

Thumbnail by Tau10

Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 14, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #7169704

This one I just bought a lace leaf from Home Depot, $50 for this size is a pretty good deal, but it didn't have a cultivator name on it, but they rarely do. It is sitting on a new bed we just had the cement ripped up, the park paid for it, and they bought mostt of the things in there, a few things I don't like, but I will slowly take them out replacing them with peonies (3 I just planted) and the maple; which I am going to put in a cedar planted box. I didn't mind the tall column maple ( I think that is what they called it).

Thumbnail by Tau10

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7170271

Wow that is an old CQ Tau. What a big trunk. You must keep it pruned or it would be much wider then that, yes? Your little tree is very pretty too.
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 16, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #7174993

Doss,

Yes I do, it was moved 2 springs ago so I trimmed it back, I've been slowly trying to reveal more of the branches, the woman that lived there before me left it alone and it was so full you couldn't see the beautiful branching that I love about these tree's. I kept it from getting to wide because I once considered turning it into a bonsai, but it's too heavy for just me.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #7175011

here is my cq this morning

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7175014

and the other cq in my front yard

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7175021

large coral baek maple in the backyard

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #7175025

and a close up of some leaves from the CB in the front yard

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7175034

and this was a beni kawa that died back and the root stock took over - it has kept the red branches and as you can see the leaves are putting on a show!

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7175039

here it a full picture of the cb in the front from a few days ago

Thumbnail by wha

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #7175046

just picked up this large katsura during a fall nursery sale - temporary housing for now.

Thumbnail by wha

jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #7175075

Hey Wha how do you over winter some of these? I keep losing Jap. Maples. i have only about 10 but i lose 2 or more every year. What do you do to over winter them and do you site them to keep them at a warmer exposure in Mass.? You are probably very similar to my winters here in Mich.
What can you tell me.??
Thank You
Julie
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #7175241

hi jazzy julie - i have not lost one yet - even the coral bark's that have been predicted to die by several here - although this year will be the test as i have added about 35 to my collection - the ones in containers i will bring in and store in my garage for the winter the others are on their own - some of them i have staked or added support to protect from snow and ice storms - the cb i posted from my back yard lost one of it's main sections from the major ice storm we had last winter here

not sure which type of trees you have lost - make sure they are for your zone - btw davidsansmaples specializes in trees for our climates
jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #7175310

Ok. I do buy for my zone but i think i have a 1/2 zone micro climate going on here as i have lost 4
dog wood trees and other frost sensitive landscape material.
Ok in the garage do they have regular day/night conditions, artificial light? water?
How and what do you do to the garage kept trees? Any special soil or soiless mix?
Thank You
JZ
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7175343

i just stick them in the back of the garage - any light they get is from the windows - for water i either drop some snow on them or occasionally water them - no set schedule at all - they are dormant.

For soil used in my containers i do nothing special - i use a premixed soil from coast of maine the cobscock blend - this does have some water retaining attributes which goes against what most suggest for jm's - i have an initial layer of sand in the bottom of the containers to offset this somewhat - did not have a problem this year even with the unusual wet weather we had - one tree did suffer some but that was the result of too small of a drainage hole - hard to drill through a glazed container, still need to fix that one.

i may change if i could ever find a source for the ingredients many use
Tau10
Federal Way, WA

October 17, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7179044

Beautiful Wha, lucky you for already getting snow!! Send some our way please? I loved it last December when we had 2 weeks of snow. Normally it'll snow, melt, then snow, but this time it snowed on top of snow; I was in Solstice heaven *G*

Meanwhile here is one of my maples that is a Shohin Bonsai, it's ready for a Bonsai pot!

Thumbnail by Tau10

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7180819

That is ready for a bonsai pot.

Tau I just realized that I asked you to post a photo of your crimson queen on another thread. I can't believe I forgot that beautiful tree!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7180822

i will second that!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #7180827

Wha - this thread is getting long. Could you start a new one?
lindseyp
Greenville, NC

October 18, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #7183083

Hello JM experts! I am new to these beautiful trees and am wondering if there's an expert in the house to help identify 2 little guys I dug up on a friends farm and 1 mature tree that I bought from a wholesaler with no tag. This picture is of the mature tree. Thanx for any help!

Thumbnail by lindseyp

lindseyp
Greenville, NC

October 18, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7183085

This is baby #1

Thumbnail by lindseyp

lindseyp
Greenville, NC

October 18, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #7183090

This is baby #2

Thumbnail by lindseyp

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #7185484

hi lindsey - sorry i can't help with the exact id

first could be a crimson queen or another "red" dissectum
second is a larger tree
and the third could be a dwarf based only on the leaf size - although i could easily be wrong - may have to wait until they are larger

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #7185507

here is the new thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049378/

and yes i saw the typo right after posting the thread
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7186806

I can't tell what they are either Lindsay. Thanks for the new thread Wha!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America