Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes: The N. E. for June, July and August?

Communities > Forums > Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of TomatoesReplies: 6, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7020568

The strange weather this year was a "perfect storm" for Late Blight.
Quoting:the microscopic spores of P. infestans develop on leaves and stems when temperatures are above 50 F and humidity stays at 75% for more than two days. The spores of the fungus develop rapidly in wet and cool weather.

We had more wet and cool weather this year (add in April and May) than I can remember. Given how far LB can travel on the wind, I am amazed I didn't manage to get any. I had a nice (my first ever) crop of tomatoes, too!

Thanks for handling this difficult topic.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7023712

I am glad to read about late blight, too. I read the New York Times article but it didn't provide pictures and I was very curious to see what it looked like. Our weather is dry so we probably don't get it as often as those of you back east, but we do get various fungal diseases and late blight may be one of them. Now I can check the DG archives if anything I grow gets something that looks like it.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #7024720

Thanks for reading my article.

The market grower who lives less than a mile from me grew an excellent crop of tomatoes. I guess the winds were kind to him.

TC
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7024818

How lucky for both you and him!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #7026064

Yes, I heard of LB in my neighborhood, but thankfully, I was spared, and my first ever crop of tomatoes are starting to come fast and furious. I was terrified all spring, and read every scrap of information!
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7030602

Yes, very lucky pagaritomt. I'm glad you were spared carrielamont.

TC

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7032659

Me too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Late Blight (Phytophthora infestans) Fungus of Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good reading! onewish1 12 Sep 7, 2009 3:59 PM
Thanks for the article, but... Igrowinpa 15 Sep 8, 2009 2:16 PM
I suspected... Sundownr 1 Sep 4, 2009 12:54 PM
Blight Delaware 1 Sep 7, 2009 10:28 PM
Great Article lovelyiris 1 Sep 7, 2009 10:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America