Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canadian Gardening: Bulb planting Yet?

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

September 3, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7021324

Started with foxtail lilies.
This weekend is:
Daffodils (Ice Follies) white with yellow trumpet.
Tulips are Antoinette which are multi flowering and change colour.
Fall flowering crocus are neat. They flower with the first cool period. Then send up strappy leaves in spring.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7021869

Hi,

Don't know if you're much more organized than me or whether fall is shorter out West and you have to get moving faster. Here, plant the fall non-hardy mums about mid September and bulbs after that. Must admit that bulb planting is one of my least favorite gardening tasks.

Saw foxtail lilies on a garden tour in spring. Very impressed.
Keep meaning to use autumn crocuses (colchicum) but not got round to it yet.
Don't know Antoinette (sounds good), but know Ice Follies are a reliable daffodil here.

Tend to use species and hybrid crocus, species and hybrid tulips, fancyish daffodils like Tahiti and Texas, Chionodoxa Giant Pink and grape hyacinth. So many different large summer perennials, don't tend to use summer bulbs and corms (except crocosmia: Lucifer is very showy).

Particularly wanted to say, I've been fighting Chionodoxa (luciliae/forbesii) and Puschkinia libanotica ever since I planted them, maybe ten years ago, and am now finally getting the upper hand to their elimination. They spread by seeding (as well as bulb division). Am repeating myself, but labels say they 'naturalize' and 'form drifts', which for me, at least, have come to mean 'very invasive'. I was warned about the invasive nature of Scilla sibirica, so never planted it. But guess it's all a matter of taste.

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7021954

Usually plant bulbs at the end of September here.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 3, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7021984

Anytime now. This year just a bag of 100 Chinodoxa-

Sunny I plant all of those little ones and they sure are not invasive here in fact I wish they would naturalize a bit faster!

Usually put in whatever 'new' species tulip is available but did not bother this year. Also usually buy a bag of mixed daffs but didnt get around to it this year.

Invested (LOL) in 1 Fritallaria Imperialis just out of curioosity although I know it wont flower here more than a year or two.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #7023231

Like the compactness of the species tulips, but have to avoid fritillaria. The lily beetles here like them. Apparently these beetles breed on lilies and fritillaria. I also found they ate my toad lilies, so I gave up on the lot of them.

Fancy, guess it's a matter of climate. Was in Niagara-on-the-Lake last April.
The climate is milder there than here, with an earlier start to the growing season. Saw this property for sale. There was a small amount of puschkinia,
but the large bulk was Chionodoxa luciliae/forbesii.

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7023244

Sunny I must confess I would love to have my lawn look like that!

I know how to do it but I suspect because of late springs they might well be in bloom just about when the grass needed cutting!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7023322

Fancy, just to remind you, that property was for sale (though could be sold by now). On the other hand, maybe employment opportunities are better in Calgary!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7023881

Thanks Sunny !

Employment opportunities are no longer of any interest to me!

And after a few years in Ottawa long ago I wouldnt want to move back into that summer humidity!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7051758

Fall blooming crocus are going in this weekend and starting on the tulips cuz I have so many to plant/replant. I definitely want to try the lawn planting in the back with early crocus but not this year. I ordered WAY TOO MANY spring bulbous things already (big surprise snort).
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7051846

Dug up and replanted some bulbs and put in some new ones ( I was given a lot of little ones last week, wasnt planning on doing much in the way of bulbs this year!) Ground is really hard - i watered twice in the last 10 days but you wouldnt know it!
Chinodoxa, daffs, alliums, species tulips and crocus and a Fritalaria Imperialis ( this years experiment!)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7051882

oooo please keep us posted about the frit. I've had no luck with those so far.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7052178

Lori said it should bloom for a year or two so I figured worth a try . I had to buy an orange one as that was all they had . Still it is an experiment so I am not too concerned about the outcome, justwould like to have it flower once!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America