Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Nasturtium seed pods

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lainymay
BEDFORDSHIRE
United Kingdom

September 3, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #7021781

Hi,
can anyone give me advice conserning my nastertiums. i had a magnificent display this year and have many many seed pods from them.
my question is: can i re-plant the seeds for next year?.
i live in England (south) in the uk. i have left the seed pods on the soil but i am not sure if i am doing the right thing.
advice greatly received.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

September 11, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #7050194

I don't know what to advise for your climate, but yes, you could save and replant the seeds. Here, I would pick the seeds up and dry them well and then store till spring. They may not come back exactly like the parent plants, but if the seeds are good, you should get plants. Did you start these from seeds or buy them as plants? Nasturtium seeds aren't sown on the surface though. Whenever you plant them, they should be planted about 1/2" deep.

Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7052918

I collected seed from mine last year, and had good results with the offspring this year. I found several ripe seeds laying on the ground, then was watchful to collect them as they ripened. When the seeds have turned from green to yellow-tan, they fall away from the plant easily, and are ready to collect. Some I gathered while still showing green shriveled up during the drying process. I planted them in different places this year, and had no reseeding where they grew last year. I have a feeling seed would easily rot during winter, so collecting and sowing again next year is a good idea.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7052980

I'll keep my eyes open for pods this fall.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #7053061

The seeds look like little brains to me, LOL. You'll see 1-3 of the "little brains" connected, and not really in a pod, but with a papery husk lightly covering them. The husk has naturally fallen away from most I find.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7053108

So when neighbors ask what I'm doing I should reply, "Looking for brains"? I'll follow your directions, Neal. You can tell I trust you.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2009
8:39 AM

Post #7054406

LOL...no one would be surprised to hear me say that, they all know I lost my own brain years ago!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7082407

I collect my seed on a paper plate and let them cure/dry completely then store and label till the next spring. None of the seeds that fell off into the soil ever sprouted through self seeding so I wouldn't rely on that.
denalus
Rio Vista, CA

June 13, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7885317

echoes wrote:I don't know what to advise for your climate, but yes, you could save and replant the seeds. Here, I would pick the seeds up and dry them well and then store till spring. They may not come back exactly like the parent plants, but if the seeds are good, you should get plants. Did you start these from seeds or buy them as plants? Nasturtium seeds aren't sown on the surface though. Whenever you plant them, they should be planted about 1/2" deep.

Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply.

I just picked some green nasturtium seed pods in a park I visited; can these be dried, and will the seeds be viable? Or do they need to dry completely on the plant?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7885888

I always let mine dry on the plant. I've had that same situation with seed collecting away from home.
Give it a try is my best advice:) I would set them on a paper plate or in a shallow container in a warm dry location--for me that was on top of the TV or fridge--and let them turn tan. If the seeds inside have turned black then I would store them and try planting them next season. If they haven't then I wouldn't bother with them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America