Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White Oak: Lightning

Communities > Forums > Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White Oak
bookmark
Forum: Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White OakReplies: 10, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #7024412

Our big one out front (left side of pic) has been hit twice by lightning, but still hangs in there! Another great story Cuz.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #7024503

Can't remember how many pine cone and acorn wreaths we made as kids. And I, too, remember the musilage. It looked like honey and my brother tried to eat it once. Thank heaven it was just a taste. Didn't hurt him any but I sure thought it was funny.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7024783

Good Morning, Doug..
Your house sure is looking great, so is the oak.
And I am glad you liked the story. I'll bet your dad and maybe your aunt would know exactly where my old oak trees were growing.
See you soon, don't forget the chocolate!
Thank you.

And Barb, yes, the glue did look like honey. I never got it near my mouth, though, was afraid I'd never be able to talk again. Nice to know you also made those wreaths, too.

Hope you all have a great weekend. I am loving this cooler weather, glad to have a little rain, too.
Thanks for reading the story and for letting me know.
Sharon

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #7025106

Very good story and very interesting look into your life. You are one "special" lady.

Cherie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7025151

Hi Cherie,
Not so special, I just have special memories. But thank you, very nice of you to say that.

Hope your day is good, and have a great holiday weekend.
Sharon

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7025323

thanks. Hubby is on vacation all next week so I maybe MIA quite a bit next week.

You have a great holiday weekend as well "special lady"
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7025928

Thank you CC...enjoy!
louparris
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #7035827

White oak - We used to have a huge one at our place in the Texas Big Thicket. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately, the hurricane Ike took it down.
Lou
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7035867

Sorry about that loss, Lou.
That was probably the same hurricane when my Texas relatives came here to escape its wrath.

Nice to hear from you, hope this season won't be nearly as bad for you.
medfordmaggie
Medford, OR

September 10, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7045995

Yes, great story. We joke that we paid fifty thousand $ each for the mature white oaks surrounding our beautiful home in old east Medford, Oregon. The woodpeckers love our neighborhood, and we love them back. My mom had us making acorn/pinecone wreaths as the winter holidays approached, back in the good ol' 1950's. Thanks again for the sweet story.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7051057

Hey Maggie,
Thank you for joining us. Glad you have some great oak tree memories, too. You probably glued yourself to the wreaths just like I did!
Good to hear from you.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The biggest, oldest tree in the forest: White Oak Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oaks are great.... zhinusmom 11 Sep 7, 2009 3:06 PM
Oaks phicks 1 Sep 4, 2009 7:50 PM
Wonderful SunnyBorders 1 Sep 7, 2009 8:22 PM
oak tree story misspgy 1 Sep 8, 2009 6:20 AM
The New Forest! NEILMUIR1 3 Sep 11, 2009 1:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America