The Dude

southeast, NE

They (the cattle bigshots) say that a once-in-a-lifetime calf comes along that just wows you. This would be him! DD calls him "The Dude". He is being sold as a show calf.

Thumbnail by Nebraska_Jewel
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

A very handsome fellow! From the look in his eye, I'd say he knows he's handsome.
Congratulations.

Richmond, TX

Stout little guy. What is his breeding?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Handsome! He should do well in the ring.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Good looking boy. Around here, it's dudettes that we look for. We've had a couple over the years, poor girls, just spent their lives anonymously producing milk.

southeast, NE

Thanks all! Dude's mom was a "nothing special" simmental cross. His dad was a maine-anjou cross named Leroy Brown. DH and DD are kicking themselves because they didn't use the same bull when they a.i. this cow this year. However we've been told over and over that Dude is probably a fluke. We probably should have called him Fluke.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

He may have been flute but it sure would have been nice to have tested that theory

Richmond, TX

Next year, perhaps?

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Nice calf. Can you say ka-ching??

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

So, was The Dude sold and bring you enormous amounts of $$?

southeast, NE

Let's put it this way, the result (after broker took his 30%) from selling The Dude (aka Fluke) amounted to more than selling 19 feeder steers at the sale barn. Crazee!!!!!

We're not sure where he ended up. Another steer jock from Oklahoma bought him and he will sell to someone else.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Uncle Sam is rubbing his hands in glee..........

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Anna, we are raising the wrong kind of bovine!!!

southeast, NE

OMG - say it ain't so - we can't let Uncle Sam have part of it!!!

LOL - I wonder how much farm equipment, etc. is sold this last week in the year to avoid paying Uncle Sam!!

And I still say this will never happen again - not being pessimistic - just the way it is!

Actually we had every intention of applying $$ towards pasture ground that SIL and DD have agreed to purchase. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam (FSA) haven't officially approved the loan so DH & I have to get an interim loan and turn around and sell it to them when their loan is officially approved as the seller wants his payment. Oh the games we have to play to work with the government!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, Nebraska Jewel............"Unkie" won't get any if you got it in cash. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*.........

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Nebraska_Jewel, my ignorance is showing....what made him so special?

southeast, NE

I'm not sure how to totally explain it. He has good frame, muscle, balance and structural correctness as well as a nice big butt! He also has nice long hair. Yes I know hair doesn't make good meat but it helps in the show ring.

People are into to showing cattle big time like some people show horses, dogs, etc. There are shows that have big jackpots, etc. It's a hobby to some.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Nebraska Jewel.........I'll betcha your hubby is sorry he removed The Dude's "masculine engine".

Showed the pic to my inseminator.........he raises beef. Before I had the pic, I was telling him about the beast, he said "if he's that good, he must be a Heatwave son. Told him no, sire was LeRoy Brown. He said the LeRoy is a Heatwave son. Guess Heatwave throws huge calves. A big beef farm here has used him and had calves 130-150 pounds. He said "you wanna be there when they are born".

Richmond, TX

If you have to start out with a 130-150 lb calf, I'll just have to do without a "dude" around here!

southeast, NE

We've used Heatwave and sons a lot. Heatwave seems to sire a lot of show quality calves. He is out of service (can't remember if he died, or what). His semen is worth a lot. We've never had calves born that big. I can't remember what our calves averaged but last year we didn't have to pull that many. And the ones we pulled were more for convenience or because they were coming backwards. When I say convenience, we all work off the farm. If a cow is calving at 5:00 a.m. and it's close, we pull it.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the explanation. He did look impressive, just wasn't sure why.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The technician said about Heatwave.........."I know he isn't producing anymore", so I assume he is still alive and living out his life in leisure. He said what semen is "available" is going in the neighborhood of $300.00-$400.00 a unit. For those of you who have no idea of what I am talking about, a unit of semen can be either 1/4cc or 1/2 cc, depending on the stud and how they extend it. Most use 1/2cc per unit. We're talking drops here. LOL I remember another technician telling me when the Holstein bull S-W-D Valiant was no longer alive, his semen was going for that price, and there were guys that were sychronizing heats and splitting the units up to 4 ways. Now we're talking half drops. LOL

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Anna, thanks for explaining that. Yes, you are right, some of us have absolutely no idea what's being discussed. Sounds interesting and good to know for the future.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm sure it will serve you well in a game of Trivia. LOL

Waddy, KY

Back when semen was still in ampules it wasn't uncommon for Dad to split one if there were two or three cows in heat at the same time. Especially if he'd thawed the real expensive stuff. He did that with some Jersey semen, Milestones Generator back when it was about $150 a ampule. Got three nice calves.

It is amazing what people will pay for a good show animal, dairy or beef. Apparently they've got more money to spead around than I do. Shoot, I know they do!

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images