Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Rock and Alpine Gardening: September alpines

Communities > Forums > Rock and Alpine Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rock and Alpine GardeningReplies: 48, Views: 326
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7026721

Oxytropis megalantha, blooming in its first year from seed:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #7027710

Campanula incurva:

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7030671

A penstemon that I earlier keyed out as P. pachyphyllus(?) is still in bloom:

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7030689

These are not alpines by any means but, heck, it's September and things are winding down... Silene regia, starting to bloom...

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #7030703

Silene schafta:

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7030722

I have been informed that these can be light repeat bloomers, but we have not seen it before... Clematis alpina:

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #7032942

A little repeat bloom on Asperula gussonei:

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7075475

Great show Alta...here is Cyananthus lobatus

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7075476

Silene zadwadskii...blooming first year from seed

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7075480

First time bloomer...took 3 years...Saponaria pampylitica

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7075484

Succica pratensis 'Nana'...been blooming for over a month and still more buds to come

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7080983

I have had a silene for many years that I grew from NARGS seed that was labelled "Silene asterias", but I have finally ID'd it, tentatively, as Silene zawadskii. A great plant that blooms heavily through late spring-early summer. Todd, could you please show the basal rosette of your S. zawadskii, for comparison?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7081525

Scilla scilloides has chosen to bloom this year:

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7081532

Darn, I have lost my Cyanathus lobatus... it got rather overwhelmed by other plants.
A Silene schafta, now in full bloom:

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #7100964

Finally got a chance to take a few pics. Alta, here are the leaves of Silene zadwadskii

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #7100971

Allium spirale...the second last allium to bloom...A. thunbergii is not even showing colour in the buds yet!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7100976

The first colchicum...C. agrippinum

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7100979

Gentiana Kingfisher

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #7100983

After 4 years, this Gentiana uchiyamae finally flowered!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7100989

Hypericum olympicum still has scattered blooms

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7100993

same with Geranium sanguineum 'Striatum'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7100994

and Veronica schmidtiana 'Nana'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7100999

I'll end with a woodlander...Kirengoshoma palmata

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 25, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7101353

Gosh, all the flowers look so fresh. We are at about 8 inches below normal for rainfall now. It's fall, and we have had a drop of rain for three weeks.

Well it looks as though the Colchicum agrippinum that I bought on the cheap last fall from Buggycrazy are correctly named. I am quite pleased, as I had wondered if the bulbs would be large enough to bloom this season. But they did have spring into summer to plump up. This one had four flowers (in succession).

I have to say, the water droplets are fake. I didn't even notice the flowers until I was watering, and I'm lucky the water breaker didn't flatten them.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #7102346

We were quite dry all summer but now the fall rains have arrived with a vengence...last two days hit 70 F but today and tomorrow will only reach 45! Winter is coming! I know the west and mid-west have been really hot this past while...I would welcome that now!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 25, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7102897

Thanks for posting the second Silene zawadskii photo, Todd - the foliage certainly does look like my plants. (N.B. Did you notice there's a label for Silene dinarica in your photo? I assume none-the-less that you've decided it's S. zawadskii, though. Just wondering, as I mentioned I'd been wondering what my plants were for a long time, and if yours is S. z... then I'll consider it finally settled.) Thanks!

PS The spelling seems to be as I've shown it, rather than "zadwadskii".

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7103061

Yes, I got the seeds as dinarica but it is not...zawadskii was the ID that seemed to fit best. I've been spelling that wrong for years...and there are a couple of more plants (usually with Russian/polish names) that I also mis-spell...like some russian ligularia that I will not even attempt to spell. LOL!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7109092

I love the Colchicum agrippinum. Well... all of these fall beauties!

We've had one of the wetest summers in memory. Most folks lost
their tomato crop this year due to a blight, probably from the constant
damp.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 9, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #7151997

From previous experience, I find that the flies that visit my Escobaria vivipara flowers are not very good pollinators. So everyday, sometimes twice a day, while they were blooming I took a paint brush and hand pollinated each flower. Not that big a deal, as each flower is only open for 2-3 days.

The fruits of my "labor" is rewarding. I read somewhere that the Native Americans ate the berries, and they sure look tempting. But unless I have a good source of info - not gonna do it. If you know of any relating information, I'd sure like to know.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 9, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7152050

Processing is easy under running water in a fine strainer. Not so great of a pic, but you can see I have a LOT of seed. Even after I send to the NARGS seed exchange, they'll still be plenty to play with. These are from plants grown from seed from the eastern South Dakota border (and the easternmost native colony known). So they are probably the most moisture and humidity resistant strain of the species.

If anyone would like to play with these cactus seed, give me a jingle and I'll send some your way. You wouldn't be "stealing" from someone else who might really want them. They are 50 times easier to germinate than any other cactus seed I've tried, and there are LOTS.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7203533

All lovely and still quite a lot in bloom for this time of year. I have a few crocus. This is pulchellus.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #7203539

Crocus salzmannii erectophyllus in a pot.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 24, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7203601

Crocus speciosus is blooming now at our Arboretum rock garden.

My fully open Colchicum agrippinum flowers easily survived 23F (-5C).
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7204453

It's been the worse October ever here...cold and rain nearly every day. Most of the autumn crocus promptly rotted just as they were blooming. The colchicums are slightly better but the persistent winds have battered them too.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #7205582

So far, this is the 10th wettest October in recorded history (around 150years) for me. But we have been up to 7 inches below normal until Septemberish. For people that had only been watering very minimally (like me) the ground is just soaking it all up. Heck, I was digging and planting my lily crosses today in my clay base soil. The soil looked like it would be chunky, but it's easy to crumble in your hands.

Not an alpine, but the Fibigea clypeata have all taken on an exceptionally ruffly appearance this year. Galanthophile, is this a weed in Europe?

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7206769

This is a plant I'm not familiar with and I couldn't find many references to it so I guess not! It sounds a bit like what we call Honesty here (Lunaria).
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #7207206

NB. spelling - Fibigia clypeata.
Rick, is that a perennial for you? Interesting plant. I'll have to watch for it in the seedex's.

Galanthophile, honesty (Lunaria annua, Lunaria perennis) is different again, though similar in the effect of the seedpods.

It's been a lousy October here too! The snow started the weekend of Oct. 3, then it just kept snowing constantly for about the next 10 days, with below-zero weather (and as cold as -16 C overnight once.) It finally straightened out enough last week that I could ride my bike to work again, but then we got heavy wet snow again Saturday morning that is still on the ground! The leaves have not had much of a chance to turn colour - most have just been killed on the trees from the cold. Many potential blooms were nipped in the bud! My earliest colchicums started to bloom but then were covered in snow. The late doubles and crocus haven't even shown themselves yet, and I don't know if they even will.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7207363

Thanks. I've been spelling that wrong for several years! Sometimes it acts as a biennial, sometimes perennial. Same for Symphyandra armena, I have found.

You can see here why I asked if it is a weed elsewhere. As the common name is Roman Shield, each "shield" will have 10-12 seeds on each side. I gather all the stalks each year, but there is still a lot that fall. I have some volunteers, but not at all weedy. I think I just might have enough seed for you, Alta.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7207450

Continuing with the esoteric plants - there is Deinanthe caerulea in my garden. Don't know how I missed posting a pic.

For such a reputedly slow growing species, it's kinda hard to believe that this is the same plant just this past spring http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6577336

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #7207453

It has a curious twist to the stigma.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7207495

had I only known the seed capsules were already open when I picked them! Still I captured quite a bit of seed. Plenty to share if anyone would like. However, I didn't know (until now) that dry seed was not the way to go with this one. They may not be viable anymore. I picked them about 2 weeks ago, and the seed is very tiny. Some capsules were open, some not ripe. But I can share at least a hundred seeds to anyone who wants.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8l8L1yRAaI4C&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=deinanthe caerulea seed&source=bl&ots=F7dvffAOiT&sig=p6r3tF0By5gfuoFVkmD1FxuwFrk&hl=en&ei=1L7kSvObJ-qTtgfG4tHLCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=deinanthe caerulea seed&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=8l8L1yRAaI4C&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=Deinanthe caerulea seed&source=bl&ots=F7dvffxRkY&sig=5LvKTaVwfANN5C0zBFnsT9yPZk8&hl=en&ei=YbTkStzjLYyvtge-2djLCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=cardiandra&f=false

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7208010

BTW Rick the Fibigia seed you gave me last spring...well I got 4 plants from them and all are trying to bloom NOW! Being biennials, I guess they will not be around in spring. I do have seeds you sent later...obviously I should wait until at least May before I sow them so that they will not try to bloom in the same year.

I finally got a chance to cut things down in the garden...it was the first day in 3 weeks that I had a few hours without rain (it did start again in the afternoon however!)...no signs of Crocus speciosus yet...I don't expect they will bloom this year. All the Lewisia are snug in the cold frame now (only way they can survive winter in a climate with 60" of rain per year). I usually overwinter my Celmisia speciosus indoors but I am attempting the coldframe this year as it is getting rather large for the basement windowsill.

My rockery needs an overhaul...overrun with Allium cyathophorum var. farreri and Geranium sanguineum...I discovered I lost several choice alpines due to these somewhat weedy 'alpines'.
Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #7210439

Yes that allium and geranium are thugs in the alpine world. I really like that fibigea! Sorry you have all had too much snow too soon...
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 7, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #8024347

I hope that you experienced alpine enthusiasts will do a similar thread for us who are new to alpine gardening. I was inspired by the pictures and comments that you posted in 09.
Thanks for your time---I know that you are all busy people.
Caroline
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8025119

Hi, Caroline! Just an aside - are you aware of the NARGS forum?
http://nargs.org/smf/
I'm not certain if you are a member or not (I suspect yes?) but it's just another opportunity to talk about alpines, plants in general, get advice, share photos, etc..

And you're right... need to spend some time here again too!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 8, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8026344

Yes, I belong to NARGS.
That site seems to be more for the experienced alpine gardener,
and I am just getting into alpine gardening.
But I should make a point of going there more often as there is so much info there.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #8027937

Well, it is by "hanging out" at the places where more experienced folk converse that one can learn things! Where else could one ask questions and actually expect to get informed answers?

And, by the way, I happen to know that most of the more experienced alpine gardeners whom you know from here are also over there... ahem, insider knowledge, shall we say. :-) So there is absolutely no reason to be shy at all, I assure you. Ask questions, post pix, share info and learn - that's the point of the NARGS forum!

Right now, the number of people posting is small... but we are persisting in trying to make it interesting, in the hopes of encouraging more people to take part, and USE the forum for whatever they get out of it - information, ideas for new alpines and plantings and methods, discussion, entertainment, seeing beautiful mountain scenery, plant IDs, enjoying the plant photo gallery, keeping up with plant world news, ,etc..

Anyway, hope to see you taking part there!

By the way, for those of you who are not NARGS members, the forum can be viewed by nonmembers, as well. Take a look!
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #8028073

That site [NARGS] seems to be more for the experienced alpine gardener

Caroline, Oh No !!! Gardeners of all knowledge levels are welcome and wanted! I find it an honor and a pleasure to be able to hobnob with such noted authorities, as well as members from around the world. And I have to say, I wish I had the funds to travel as many of them do. Still, traveling through their pos and photos is a lot of fun.

I am sorry to say that I don't post images here at DG anymore. Since the change of ownership, I am no longer comfortable with the wording used regarding possible use of my photos by the owners, elsewhere (other than DG) for monetary gain. There was talk of changing that, and I was hopeful, but well over a year has past, and I still see no update excluding that use, as is the case in some of Internet Brands' other sites' terms of use.

I am not criticizing anyone. Internet Brands has every right to whatever terms of service they wish. But I must agree to those rules.

But do participate, where ever you feel comfortable!

Rick
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 9, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8028662

Okay I understand---especially the pictures thing.
I guess it would be better to hang out over there as it is the photos of the alpines which inspire me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rock and Alpine Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
New hillside garden Tammy 88 Jul 27, 2010 6:54 AM
A arisaema sikokianum seedling Tammy 12 May 23, 2007 1:14 AM
Merry Christmas Galanthophile 40 Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM
NARGS Seed Exchange! Tammy 67 Mar 13, 2007 7:08 AM
Hydrogen peroxide for germination taramark 6 Mar 5, 2007 10:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America