Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Antiques and Collectibles: 1930's Art Deco Credenza?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 7, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7027213

I purchased this dining room set a few years back from a lady, and she said this furniture was from the 30's. I've done some research, and think it may have been from the art deco type furniture being made around that time. can any one here give me more info on what I have, and where to go on the internet to investigate what I bought! Thanks , any info is better than what I've found on my own, and I know there are alot of knowledgeable people out there scanning these threads. I have 3 pieces, and will post as many pics as needed to give the lookers an idea, and if you have any questions, I can post more pictures as the need arises. I'm in love with the pieces and my question is, should I re-finish them, I think they are stock, maybe not, but they don't exactly match my beach house. I'd love to redo them in white egg shell but am hesitant to do so. Please, help me if you can identify my found treasures

Thanks so much, Jami.

Thumbnail by jamibad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7027220

here's another view of the credenza. it has mirrored insides, all of the walls of the interior are mirrored.

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7027253

the last picture was an end bottom door with a circle cutout, glass inserted in the cut out. This is a view, of the center cavity looking down on the top , with all mirrored interior. I forgot to mention, the lower cabinets are in 3 sections, the right and left doors are the lower portion of the cabinet, and the center is a lower cabinet, with a small depth cabinet on top, that slides out about 1/2 inch, in case it's sitting flush against a wall, you can still open the top center piece,( seems like you'd put your silver serving ware in this part). the furniture is put together with tongue and groove, another fact I forgot. Sorry, This is hard when trying to describe a piece in detail:)

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7027272

here are some pictures of the hard ware found on this cabinet.

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #7027296

and another, hope I'm not over doing it, but the more details the better the info I can get from someone who knows what I have:)

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7027318

and here's the 2nd piece of furniture that came with this set, the smaller table, I don't have a picture of it, but will post it as soon as I can. The tabletop is real wood, and it looks to be handcrafted, like there's a "grout line" running through the "wood squares, and from what I saw on line about the construction of wood in the 30's, it in inlaid by hand? Thhe 2 doors on the credenzia also have the same wood design, as does the smaller table I'm not showing. It sits on 4 claw foot legs, and has a clover leaf shaped top, and is only about 2 foot high off the floor.

I hope someone recognizes the furniture and it's period of time. Thanks for any help and I look forward to the info I can gain here. Thank you sincerely!

Thumbnail by jamibad

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7028970

Here is a starter page for research: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=2&oq=antique+furniture+sty&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS315US315&q=antique+furniture+styles+pictures

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7045900

You are good JuneyBug, another big "thanks to you" ! I really appreciate your knowledge, I have things laying around from my grandmother , who raised me, and than I have this knack for buying things I know nothing about, but am pulled toward the item by some kind of intuition that I like the piece, and the price is right, I go for it. I use it for awhile, than get bored with it, look into the history and than try to either redo it back to original, or say hey, I want to sell it, as we can only "hord so much stuff. lol! You have given me something to start my research on these 2 items, and it looks promising!! A big hug to you! ( I don't know the key strokes for that, lol :) Sincerely, Jami

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America