Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

DG Journals and Diaries: Question about keeping gardening blog private

Communities > Forums > DG Journals and Diaries
bookmark
Forum: DG Journals and DiariesReplies: 9, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #7027914

I recently discovered that "googling" a certain plant (not included in DG Plantfiles) brought up my gardening blog and comments. I have no problem with DG members reading my silliness and/or gardening trials and mishaps, but I really do not want it out for the world on Google. I had understood this was only for DG members. What do I need to do to keep my personal blog from showing up on Google? Is my only option to make it totally private where no one can see it?

I appreciate any help on this. Thanks! Peg
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #7028162

You might try logging out of DG and do the Google search again and see if your diary results still show up. If they do, then you'll need to make it private in order for other people not to be able to see it.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7476728

Well, if it shows up in Google, then it's out there for the world to see whether she is logged in or not.

Actually, since we do have to login to Dave's Garden to access the paid features, Google should not be able to crawl the web and access this site and archive that info. I would say there is a security issue with this site since Google has access when it really shouldn't.
My .02
Mike

merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7534413

I apologize for not answering sooner, but it has gotten even worse. My husband today "googled" my DG name and pulled up my whole gardening blog.

I quote, "As a MEMBER of DG, you have access to a whole slew of tools. Dive in and have fun!"

I have used the same mnemonic in my work and in several other places. If what I had wrote at work showed up on Google it would have been a felony. Only DG shows up. But, as it is for "only members" I felt comfortable. Now I feel violated, exposed, etc, etc..

If you are waiting to hear a "Dh/dh story" , sorry... He thought it was nice and well-organized, and to quote him it was very nice, but "I cannot believe DG does not do better."

So, I am sending this out to the people who can take care of this in the future. There is no world-wide web eraser. Keith and mine's life will be out there forever, whether we like it or not. Thank goodness, even though I thought it was personal to me or to Members, it is not anything bad, just not something we wanted on Google.

Sincerely, Peg

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7534460

I looked at your member page and your diary is currently public--if you're that worried about keeping it private then I'd suggest taking advantage of the option that already exists to make your entries private.
merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7534524

So if I make it private, that means none of the DG members can look at it and it will not go out on the web? There are a whole group of us that follow each other's progress (or failures) in our diaries. We are interested in different things, on different forums, so we touch base with each other there, and through d-mail.

I very much appreciate your input, but I have to get ready to work tomorrow. Thank you, Peg

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7534556

If you make it private then people here won't be able to see it either. But you can choose on an entry by entry basis whether to make it public or private, so if there are some entries you don't want out there for others to see you can mark those private, but ones that you're not as worried about you can leave public so your friends here can see them.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
3:21 AM

Post #7537226

Sounds complicated to me. Peg, have you contacted Admin about this? I see no one from that dept. has stepped in and commented. You should not have to go through that trouble so that DG members can't see it. It should not be coming up on Google when that feature is supposed to be only for paid members. I understand why you would be concerned. I guess nothing on the Web is private.

Karen
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7537252

Diaries aren't just for paid subscribers, anyone here can have one.

The subject of privacy and finding things on Google has come up recently in another forum--here is Dave's comment: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7535755

If you don't want diary entries showing up in results on Google, you need to make them private.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7538669

I actually do not have my Facebook profile private. I don't write anything there that I would want to keep private, so I'm not worried about it. I guess I would do the same thing here with a journal and not write anything I would want to be kept private unless I put in privacy settings.

Karen

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 178 Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America