Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How long do you keep your geraniums (pelargoniums)?

Calgary, Canada

There is an article in today's Calgary Herald about a Calgary couple who have kept one geranium going for 8 years. It is now a giant plant. I have some which are 4 years old ,but I cut them off so they do not grow to be giants.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

CLScott
My Mom does that and saves the Mother plant, taking cuttings and then putting it out for the summer and cutting it back to bring in. She lives in Calgary
I have been saving my Mrs Polack's but I save cuttings as then I don't tend to bring in bugs.
I was pleased that I had done this last year as there weren't any around. This year they were at BMR greenhouses so I had my saved ones and got a few new ones
I also tried to save them one year by bare rooting them , that worked but the cuttings seem to do the best.
Ann

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Caroline - is this any kind of geranium?
Ann - the cuttings - what do you do with them?

I have some, I think, zonal geraniums (but I'm not sure).
Will this work with them?

~Susan~

Calgary, Canada

Yes, it works with any of the pelargonium type geraniums.
I save them and take cuttings all winter.
I like the wintered over geraniums as they grow larger than the commercial ones which they spray with dwarfing chemicals.

Caroline (Zone 3 Calgary)

I didn't realize they sprayed with dwarfing chemicals. For heaven's sake - Why??

I'm in a zone 3a Calgary, cuz it's a very protected yard, except for the South side, where it's very sunny ^_^

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan
I just take a cutting from the top and let it sit to seal the cut end then I just place it in a sterilized (sp?) potting soil and leave it, they just root and then you grow them on in a basement window as they get a bunch of light and it's not too hot.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I might try taking cuttings this year. My Black Velvet geraniums are really nice. Then I wouldn't have to start them from seed next year.

Joanne

I don't have a basement, Ann.
I'm thinking of emptying my porch (totally enclosed, with picture windows on 2 sides - "partially heated" which means it will likely get to -10 IF we don't open the door to get into the house), and using it to store my dahlias and, if it works - Geraniums.
What do you think - would the geraniums be ok?

~Susan~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ann - how long can you leave them sitting after you've cut them?

Calgary, Canada

Usually leaving the cuttings for overnight allows them to seal.
Then into soil or water.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I guess I'll take the cuttings next week after get back from a trip.

I'll have to try that!!

Calgary, Canada

Minus 10 is a bit cold for plants , even for geraniums. You need to keep them above freezing. Above 32'F and above 0'C.

oh Caroline - then I'll have to keep them in the house. Don't think I can, what with the Dahlias, and Brugs, and......... o geeze I think I'll have to stop at that LOL I have about 15 Dahlias! (and one Brug)

I'm just glad my Daturas self-seed lol

Calgary, Canada

We all have to garden with some constraints because of our homes.
Do the best with your dahlias and what you can reasonably winter over.
We do not all have to winter keep geraniums. We do what we can and we will still have beautiful plants for next summer.

you betcha, Caroline!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

For what it's worth, I haven't had much luck with cuttings from geraniums in water, my success has been in soilless mix. Not much growing happens in the winter but as long as I don't overwater they make it till spring and then off they go. If they are a bit leggy I just plant them deeper into a bigger pot in the spring or take more cuttings, they soon get stronger.
Ann

South of Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3a)

I have kept one geranium for quite a few years and several for a few years. I usually bring in one nice plant of each and take my cuttings in early spring or late winter, whatever we get on the prairies. They don't need a lot of water, as Ann says, and bloom most of the time. Mine are also rooted in soiless mix. I wouldn't bother bringing in seed geraniums.

What's a seed geranium?

~Susan~

They are the ones that the nurseries start from seed in ...probably January? An example would be those little ones that they sell off the racks in the aisle in Canadian Tire and Home Depot for about .80. They are single flowered and a bit smaller plant. The fancy ones are from cuttings. Double flowers and/or variegated leaves. And my scented one, I bring one of those in too. It came all the way from Hole's.

Hole's?

just north of Edmonton.

oh - i've never heard of them

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Susan, Lois Hole is best-selling author of many garden books and Lieutenant Governor of Alberta from February 10, 2000 until her death in 2005.

Holes is currently one of Canada's largest retail greenhouse stores.

Here's a link:

http://www.holesonline.com/aboutghouse.asp

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 4:50 PM

Calgary, Canada

Hole's is in St. Albert. Beautiful plants and gardening accessories.
My daughter takes me up there in May.
Just do NOT go to Holes on Mother's Day.
Every one in Edmonton takes their mother to Hole's on Mother's day.
The line ups are terrible on Mother's Day. We only did that once.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think I will take all my geraniums to the school indoor atrium. Most of their plant material is looking very bad....guess the summer help didn't take care of it. Thought I would liven it up with some cannas, geraniums and what ever else that I feel like moving. I don't have the room with light to do indoor cuttings. I tried the cold storage with the geranium roots, but it didn't work out. Obviously didn't do it correctly. My other stuff, including potatoes do great in the cold storage (heated garage).

Wow - what a large Greenhouse!
Seems I'm going to have to go through that website more thoroughly!
Thank you ^_^

Susan

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I grow mine all winter regular fertilizer and in april I cut them back use the clipping to make new plants which start to bloom in july and go till frost when I bring them in I choose the best ones two of each color and do the same again

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I grow mine all winter regular fertilizer and in april I cut them back use the clipping to make new plants which start to bloom in july and go till frost when I bring them in I choose the best ones two of each color and do the same again

**Hiccup**
^_^

Calgary, Canada

The school atrium seems like a great way to dispose of geraniums.
I think it is great that you take so much responsibility there.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You guys would love California. Pelargoniums are perennial shrubs.

Martha Washington type>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Many hybrids are available>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Some species>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

hybrids that look like species

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

They are widely used in containers

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

All the nurseries carry the 'common' hybrids

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 7:49 PM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Some nurseries carry the less common types

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You see them growing in the alleys

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pots of them in Downtown Plazas

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.