Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Do seeds continue to mature if separated from the plant?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 1, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

September 5, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7028237

I'm wondering if any seeds finish maturing when separated from the plant for a couple of reasons.

1 - I pull tall asters from a goldenrod field and I want to know if I have to remove the pulled plants to be sure seeds don't germinate they're pulled.

2 - Branches break off easily from my grandiflora delphinium and campanula medium. If the pods have developed but are still somewhat green is it worth keeping the branches to get the seed later?

TIA
LAS
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7034315

Wow! That's a good and hard question. From my experience it depends on the plant. For instance I have some Cuphea pods that were still green when pulled off (couple days ago). I noticed the seeds were still green inside and put them in a paper envelope. The pods continued to mature and the seeds turned brown. And seem to look viable to me. Also I have some Clematis integrifolia seeds which were picked and still green. I placed them in a paper bag and they have continued to mature and are now brown and the fuzzy tail developed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America