Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Wildlife Gardening: Poor Frog :(

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7028406

Please help! What's wrong with this frog & what can I do for him? He has been here for at least a month. Looks like maybe something is wrong with his tongue. He had it sticking out the first time I saw him. Anyone know what I can do for him? Thank you.

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Stelco
Dewitt, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7040904

Looks like a toad and it appears to have been a tadpole not long ago (rear end pointed). It looks dehydrated or malnourished. Since they use their tongue to feed and you observed a possible problem with it, that could be why. If you really want to try to help it, put it in a terrarium to maintain high humidity. Water and moving bugs (mealworms or whatever you can find in your yard that a toad may like) should be provided. I'd think that you could watch it eat unless it's too far gone, but if it has been around for a month it must be eating something. It may just be in the process of turning into a full fledged toad.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7041062

Thank you. When I didn't get a quick response here, I posted on the water garden forum. I haven't seen him in a few days now. I keep looking, but haven't spotted him yet. Wish I would have thought about putting him in a fish tank... I have been keeping the area well watered where I have seen him hanging out. I just thought maybe taking him out of his environment would be too stressful for him. I just don't know. Here is a link to the other post. Thank you again for your help.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1034939/

ants
Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Sterling, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #7112768

If I'm not mistaken, I believe toads like slugs too:

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America