Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Wildlife Gardening: Poor Frog :(

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7028406

Please help! What's wrong with this frog & what can I do for him? He has been here for at least a month. Looks like maybe something is wrong with his tongue. He had it sticking out the first time I saw him. Anyone know what I can do for him? Thank you.

ants

Thumbnail by antsinmypants
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Stelco
Dewitt, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7040904

Looks like a toad and it appears to have been a tadpole not long ago (rear end pointed). It looks dehydrated or malnourished. Since they use their tongue to feed and you observed a possible problem with it, that could be why. If you really want to try to help it, put it in a terrarium to maintain high humidity. Water and moving bugs (mealworms or whatever you can find in your yard that a toad may like) should be provided. I'd think that you could watch it eat unless it's too far gone, but if it has been around for a month it must be eating something. It may just be in the process of turning into a full fledged toad.
antsinmypants
Marietta, MS
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7041062

Thank you. When I didn't get a quick response here, I posted on the water garden forum. I haven't seen him in a few days now. I keep looking, but haven't spotted him yet. Wish I would have thought about putting him in a fish tank... I have been keeping the area well watered where I have seen him hanging out. I just thought maybe taking him out of his environment would be too stressful for him. I just don't know. Here is a link to the other post. Thank you again for your help.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1034939/

ants
Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Sterling, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #7112768

If I'm not mistaken, I believe toads like slugs too:

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America