Frugal Food Sources . . .

Huntersville, NC

Sharing two frugal food sources (very reasonable food prices):

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/
you Do Not need to supply any identification or anything like that. they just offer food - reasonable!

http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm
ALDI - has great food shopping too.
I know many may not fee comfy shopping the first time for food where few labels are recognized. If an ALDI's in near FORCE yourself to go in and buy some food. Their meats are very lean with little waste. all else is good too. (excellent coffee!)
You WILL NOT will not be disappointed!

both are way better than Walmart or Target

another "Who Knew" moment! ^_^

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

My son and DIL have used Angelfood ministries and were not displeased with what they got. One thing is, you never know whats going to be in a "box" which I understand is standard offering. However, they are trying to cut corners and were grateful for what they got for the small amount of $ paid. Many will now have to return to the "old ways" of "waste not want not", "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" kind of thinking when there was very little to be had period. Although I did grow up in this atmosphere, hearing that type of talk, have to admit I'm guilty also of being accustomed to buying what I want when I want it. I do still "pinch pennies" though and had to raise three children on one income so, it was necessary to dress from the thrift stores in order to provide decent clothing for them.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have never been in an Aldi's but I have heard of them and they sound like something to try. I understand that one branch of the family owns Aldi's and another branch owns Trader Joe's Markets.

For anyone interested here's their website with lots of info on the food products they carry: http://aldi.us/us/html/product_range/grocery_selections_ENU_HTML.htm

Thanks for mentioning it! t.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We used to get the Angel Food boxes and we knew a month ahead of time what we were going to get in the next month's box. That is how we decided if we wanted to purchase it or not. We were very happy with the selection, quality and price.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wanted to report that I went to Aldi's yesterday. And I agree.

The prices are rock bottom and they have a nice range of stuff. Especially with the holidays coming up: cranberries, turkey, baked goods, veggies, vanilla, sugars, all at deep discounted prices.

Everything (almost) seems to be packaged under their own labels and the range of choice is very narrow, but what they do have is very inexpensive. A little skimpy on organics, but, oh, well...

Take your own bags along. They cut corners on that sort of thing and will charge you for paper or plastic bags.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

does aldis take coupons?

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

They don't take coupons, you bag or box your own groceries, they only take debit cards or cash, you pay a quarter to get a cart, but it's refunded when you return the cart etc...there are definitely no extras, but the savings and the quality of their product is what makes it worth while. They also have a guarantee on their products (non-food special purchases are not covered), but if you buy a product and it's bad they not only give your money back, they will replace the product also! You can read all this on their website Aldi.us. If you have an Aldi's near you it's worth investigating.

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

I shop at our local Aldi's all the time. I can get butter for 1.69/lb on sale and 1.99 regular price. When the kids are having friends over, I stock up on 99cent chips and snacks. Haven't had any complaints!

They have good prices on their cheese and baking staples also. Love it!

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

We sure could use an Aldi up here. Used to shop there when we lived in NY. There are none in NH or ME, and the closest I found was Bennington VT or Raynham MA - not exactly close. The grocery chains up here could use a little competition.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi, Everyone!

I was going to start another thread, but figured my question fit this thread...What are your thoughts on the quality of Save-a-lot foods? I went there today and I noticed they had a few canned goods brands (not name brands) that I have bought at Dollar General and we like, but most of the brands I have never heard of. I'm pretty leary about buying off brands, just because if we don't like them, it turns out to be a major waste of money.

There is no Aldis anywhere near me.

I wasn't happy with Sav-alot. :(

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

we have a sav-a-lot here in town and i love it. i don't buy many canned goods but what i do is good, some better than a more well-known brand. their produce is usually good and most of the meats are good too. this week i bought two big bags of kiwi (probably 8 per bag) for $2.00 and their lettuce is always fresh. it's like with any discount store, you have to buy and try and see what happens.

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

My sister-in-law is German, lives in Germany. She has always shopped at Aldi in Germany. When she was here visiting last year and seen Aldi, she was excited and wanted to go to see if it was the same as in Germany. I thought it probably wasn't...but I was wrong. She said it was the same. I like their dairy dept, good quality and good prices. What I like about the store in general is its size. You don't have multiple brands to choose thru, there is one each of everything you need. You can shop pretty quickly. Its hard to get away from your favorite stuff to buy, but if you can, Aldi is where you can be frugal with your money, your time, and axe the variety of stuff you think you need. The stuff in your shopping cart at Aldi is going to look nothing like your regular grocery store shopping cart. Its going to look frugal! tish

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

We too have a sav-a-lot in g'ville and its really a help. Like mentioned above, you go in and see whats going on. They have some good frozen deals too. I have a daughter here in college that just loves to go there. Take your bags...and patience for parking ;-o

Fremont, OH(Zone 5b)

I shop at aldis all the time.Still have to watch for sales elsewhere because at times it still is cheaper to go that route.Some things are always less expensive and they do have good quality.
Usually use their boxes to transport haome and put in compost.This year I think they will help with my winter sowing.

Have also used Angel Ministries and they have the next months items posted on their website .I don't get it too often because there are items that we don't use.They always have extra boxes with different items that you can buy after you have bought the orriginal box.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

Hi to everyone. I just bookmarked "Frugal Living" because it's a way of life for me.

There is a Save-a-Lot nearby which gets most of my grocery dollars. Today, bananas were 39 cents/pound, which is reasonable since Wal-mart's prices on bananas range from 50-80 cents/pound. (There are two other grocery stores in town, but they are even higher yet, so I never shop those stores.)

Save-a-Lot carries fruits and vegetables for much less than other grocery stores. The selection is not that wide, but what it does offer is reasonably priced. For example, for just over a dollar, I bought five large garlic bulbs in a mesh bag.

My only complaint about Save-a-Lot is that it seems to cater to the nutritionally uneducated, at least at my local store. You will not find whole grain flour nor anything made with it such as whole wheat pancake mix. Bleached white flour is all they offer (along with corn meal in bags).

However, I must say, I love it for its boxed crackers and cookies! This is where Save-a-Lot excels. Why spend $2 a box for saltines when they can be had for $1?
So I buy my crackers/cookies/fruits/vegetables at Save -a-Lot but then must travel to Wal-mart for my whole grain flours and alternative sweeteners.

It takes a bit of adjustment to go into such a grocery store and find stacks of product in open boxes instead of on fancy shelves, and no bagging service nor bags. One young woman pulled into the parking lot last week, asked me what kind of store it was, then sped out of there, mortified as she watched me pile my unbagged cans and boxes into the back of my van.

You get what you pay for.
If you want to pay for overhead, marketing, packaging, and advertising, keep shopping at the fancy, expensive grocery stores.

I'll keep shopping at Save-a-Lot.

timmijo, skip the white-flour junky saltines and make your own!! Better for you AND cheaper. :)

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

MsKatt, You wouldn't happen to have a recipe for saltines, would you?

Sure do! I make these with whole wheat flour. I bookmarked this recipe a couple of years ago.

http://www.blisstree.com/bakingdelights/saltines/

Saltines

4 cups flour

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

1/4 c butter

1 1/3 c milk

Mix together the flour, baking powder, and butter . If you are adding seasonings mix those in with the dry ingredients. Cut butter into flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. Add the milk and knead to form a ball. Divide in 4 parts and roll out paper thin on a floured surface. Cut the dough into squares (a pizza wheel works great for that!) Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and prick with forkůSprinkle with salt (or cracked pepper ..or..)Bake at 325 until golden brown..about 20 minutes.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ms Katt!
I'll give it a try. I had some whole grain crackers from a local farm and they were sooo good.
Sorry to hijack the thread, too.
I shop at Save a Lot here. The ground turkey is very good and cheap. The Green Giant potatoes are my favorite.
We have a salvage discount place here, too and as long as you pay attention to expiration dates, (like you would at any store) it is a great way to save money.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

Recipes--great! I used to be so much more whole-grain minded than I am now. It's hard to swim upstream in this society where it's the cheaper, more convenient thing to buy empty carb-laden foods made with white flour/white sugar.

Those who are responsible for trying to make a buck off the masses by feeding them such worthless foods should be held accountable.

I agree, timmijo! Most traditional, nourishing foods take a little bit of time to prepare BUT are nutritional powerhouses. I cook as traditionally as possible and my children don't eat school lunches (talk about garbage).

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

"it seems to cater to the nutritionally uneducated"...yes, that is so true, but it seems there is a market for it so they continue. our sav-a-lot is the same. once i was in the frozen department (where they do carry a "50% reduced fat ice cream" (one of the few products) and an older woman picked a carton up and put it in her basket. a few seconds later her daughter came over and put it back, admonishing the woman for buying a tasteless product with all the "good stuff" removed. i was stunned as they were both obese. ah well. you can't save everyone. even with oatmeal, they only carry the instant variety, not the good whole oats that you have to cook a few minutes. they don't know the difference and i doubt they would care if they did know.

i stay out of the middle aisles where the "trash" is kept except for canned beans and tomato products.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

My Save-a-Lot carries both whole and quick oats in cardboard cylinders (like Quaker Oats does) but for much less money. I wouldn't touch instant oatmeal with a ten-foot-pole.

Save a Lot is also good for basics like gallon jugs of white or apple cider vinegar. I also buy lard in tubs there. Although lard is pure animal fat, it is not a fake concoction like shortening is. I bake with small amounts of lard, or butter, or vegetable oil, but I rarely put shortening in anything.

You can find all your baking fats at Save-a-Lot. You just can't find the whole grain flours, darn it.

Now if we can just get a store up and running that operates like Save-a-Lot but also has healthy foodstuffs on its lineup (without breaking the bank), we'd be doin' great.

keep dreaming, timmijo! Check that lard label...if it's hydrogenated, you may as well be eating shortening. :( I cook with a lot of butter, coconut oil and olive oil.

If you are interested in traditional, nutritional foods check this out:
http://www.westonaprice.org/

http://www.westonaprice.org/Put-Lard-Back-in-Your-Larder.html

http://www.westonaprice.org/Know-Your-Fats/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images