Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Frugal Living: Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Communities > Forums > Frugal Living
bookmark
Forum: Frugal LivingReplies: 65, Views: 462
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7031084

I stumbled across this the other day when I was all ready to make my pan of lasagna. I opened my big container of ricotta cheese and the seal was broken and it was moldy. $6 down the drain so to speak and a pan of lasagna without cheese. In my panic I started searching on the computer because I knew that ricotta was not processed for very long.

I found this recipe and it is a keeper! I've tried it several times now. It works nicely with 2 percent milk. I've always heated it up to 190 degrees and used the 1/4 cup of vinegar. When my milk was really fresh I needed to add just a little bit more vinegar. You'll know when you have enough vinegar because your milk will start to ball up immediately.

I was thinking it would be good to mix in some fresh herbs at the end for a spreadable cheese for crackers. You can make it softer or drier by how much of the water you squeeze out in the end. It's a fun and easy recipe that my daughter loves to help with. A gallon of milk is a whole lot less expensive than a big container of ricotta!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Home-Made-Farmers-Cheese/Detail.aspx

This thread has 65 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Frugal Living Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Uses for Vinegar Terry 51 Apr 12, 2008 11:01 AM
Rootone substitute? Paris 14 Mar 26, 2009 12:23 PM
Free trees and plants? djm906 25 Nov 13, 2007 1:22 PM
How are you frugal on a daily basis? TuttiFrutti 115 May 20, 2008 8:06 PM
Low-Cost Grow-Light Frame Plans & Horizontal hydroponic unit NatureWalker 40 Dec 14, 2008 11:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America